Getting married in Norway

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Norway or who are about to get married in Norway to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Norway? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Norway)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

Hi armand,
Im engage to a noewegian...procedures are not complicated at all as long you have right papers.. I have waited for almost a year.. First application was denied not enough papers to support, so we made an appeal to udi after 7 months of wait it was granted...

As the poster above said, it's not particularly difficult to get married in Norway, per se, but there is quite a bit of paperwork involved. One thing that should be made clear is the difference between getting married in Norway and applying to stay for family immigration. Getting married isn't too difficult, but family immigration (ie: fiance permits, family visas, etc...) adds a bit more work and a lot of time/patience to the process.

In terms of getting married, you need to make sure you're allowed to get married in a foreign country. Some countries won't recognize a marriage if it happens outside their borders.

My first recommendation is to look at the embassy of your home country even if you're not applying from outside Norway, sometimes there are specific things you need regarding the marriage itself as well as family immigration. For example, as a Canuck, I needed a "non impediment to marriage" document, but since Canada doesn't provide those, I needed to get several other documents instead from several different agencies. I found all this information on my embassy's website.

You should also look at the local municipality and find out what they will need in order to allow you to legally enter into marriage. For example, to get married you also need to prove that you're in the country legally. You cannot get married on a tourist visa (however, if you do not need a tourist visa to enter into the country (for a duration of 90 days), then you can get married so long as it happens in the 90 days).

Your next favourite site should be UDI - the immigration website.  They are not always the easiest to read, and the website is sometimes out of date (for example, they still have registered partnership as an option, but that was eliminated a few years ago and replaced with marriage). But the UDI website does have all the documents you need and checklists to make sure you get everything.

Whatever you do, make sure you apply for the right thing. UDI has denied applications on the basis of applying for the wrong visa, not submitting enough documentation, etc... When I say apply for the right thing, I mean make sure it's the right application. A lot of people have been rejected because what they wanted was a fiance permit, but they ended up applying for a spouse/family immigration permit instead.

The fiance permit entitles you to enter Norway with the intention of getting married in Norway. It's valid for 6 months and requires you to get married in that time. After you've gotten married, you then (assuming you want to stay in Norway) apply for family immigration for spouse (this is assuming one of you is legally allowed to stay in Norway: ie: permanent resident, citizen, etc...).

You cannot apply for the fiance permit from Norway unless you are already there on another visa, I believe. However, you can stay in Norway while awaiting the family immigration decision by UDI and during any appeal process.

This is the UDI page for family immigration. Unfortunately I can't really help with any more information on the marriage part itself because that's dictated by your specific situation and your home country.

http://www.udi.no/Norwegian-Directorate … migration/

Hope that helps.

:one

thank you everybody fr the information and for the interesting subject , I'm actually waiting to get the Visa in order to marry in norway , I hope that will not take much time coz its really affect my relationship with my partner , its sucks to be so far from each other , Can someone know how many years to get the permanent residence of norway ?

Hi..

My problem is like this.. My visa is tourist and we wanted to get married while in Norway. Is it possible to get married in Norway if I have my tourist visa?

M. I am 28 years old. I am single and I'm going to marry. I like my life is based on affection., And always know where my husband and I are faithful to each other. Life finds meaning and loving kindness continues.

Hi everyone i was wondering if anyone here have encountered the situation i'm in, i'm currently in Norway on a tourist visa to visit my boyfriend and yesterday he proposed. Are we able to apply for an engagement/fiance permit without me needing to go home? i mean we have all the necessary documents needed, we just wanna know if it's possible to change my visa while i'm here, if anyone has experienced this please share what you did. thank you very much in advance, we would really appreciate your response. have a nice day everyone.

Hi stephy25 - please note that this thread here is quite old.. I reckon starting a new topic with all your questions on the Norway Forum might bring better interactions to your post :)

Bro I hope everything will be Great

thanks ever  so much for sharing ur informations with us.

Hi there! I see that your first application was denied. Could you tell me what you needed for the appeal? What made them 'change their minds?

My boyfriend lives in Norway and I'm from Holland, I'm very sure he's gonna propose to me soon so it's getting so close now!
Do you guys think it's easier to get married if you're from Europe than when you're for example from the USA?
do I need a fiance permit?

ArmazS wrote:

hi, I notice you are from Canada, did you get married in Norway yourself? Was your application process difficult?

Thanks

Armaz :)

Hello Armaz and welcome to Expat.com

For info you are participating on a thread inactive for nearly a year.

You may not receive any response.

Regards
Kenjee

You may also get some information on this thread that i made https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 78#2873129