Midwifery and having a baby in Fiji

Hi

Im planning a trip later this year and want to come to Fiji.

I am a midwife in the UK and was thinking of trying to undertake some volunteer work/work experience in midwifery in Fiji.

Wondered if anyone could tell me how the system works there. Any midwives who have experience there, or does anyone know of any birth centres in Fiji.
Also any mums who have had midwifery/ostetric experience there?

Thanks for your help, it may shed some light on where i could apply to as my internet searching is not going too well!

Thanks

Laura

Hi Laura!

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Armand

Hi Laura,

I know this is way too late to reply to your comment. Well since you mentioned that you want to do volunteer work/work experience in midwifery in Fiji, I think it's a very good idea and it's so thoughtful of you to share your experience in Fiji. I'm from Fiji and it's a sad fact that most pregnant mothers can not afford to pay for fees required by the hospital. And it's hard to find mid-wives to assist these ladies due to lack of such skillful workers. you can try on the website of the Ministry of Health of Fiji: www.health.gov.fj where you can contact them and let them know of your generous help. It would really help a lot and also will encourage others to help people in need.

Thanx
Jima

i hav worked for the nursing skol and also with the min of health... i personaly feel that fiji nurses are given proper training in this area but due to negligence, the performance of these professional is not up to par... it would be nice for your services for our local ladies