Working and Staying in al jubail KSA

Hi there....

Me and my wife (young couple) are soon moving to al jubail as I got long term contract position there.

My question pretty much the same as all new expats on their way to a new country.

Anybody know what it is like living and working in al jubail? I know that it is pretty much an industrial city.

Then, few more specified questions:

- Is an expat allowed to purchase a vehicle via monthly payments (loan from bank)?
-If I ahd a boat and go out to sea, would my wife be able to take her abaya off (any religious police traveling out at sea)?
-Hows traffic during office hours and morning and evenings?
-Would my wife be able to study while we are there, aka is there universities (as woman and men are segregated at public locations) something like a photographic course for example?

Any info, tips, advice would be greatly appreciated! :D

Al-Jubail industrial city on the beautiful coastal cities in Saudi Arabia
For the location is different from outside the country because of religion does not allow time for the exit of a swimming suit, but clothes are in Saudi Arabia sheltering cover of any person.

Any questions, I am ready to answer

Jubail is one of the most beautiful coastal spots in KSA. We, usually take time off to travel to Jubail for a week during the two Eid (Festival) Holidays in KSA whenever we choose to stay in country. Its a good 4 hours drive from Riyadh but all highway from end to end. The beaches are absolutely warm and so soothing all times of the year. The sea food as out of this world and the environment is truly serene, calm and like a comforting balm away from the hustle and bustle of the bizzare capitol.

Women, out of doors, at all times are required to cover themselves in an Abhaya (cloak) with their heads also covered by a veil. Faces are not required to be covered although the local Saudi women do so by way of custom and not religion.

Anyone can purchase anything from a pin to a camel on hire purchase in KSA now and the banks have also downsized the many requirements for eligibility. Basically, they will grant you the mortgage on submission of your resident permit and salary statement.

FYI, Jubail was a small dingy fishing village awith a few thousand people which has now been converted to one of the largest industrial development complexex in the world.
Go for ir man and enjoy the wonders of Jubail.

Dear Friend, Jubail is not big but good, and u will love to be here. And for the swimmers, good news, anyone, male female kids, different timings and sections made in the same swimming pool , in Al-Huwaylat REcreation Center / Swimming Pool, so you and your wife's hobby will be fulfilled, and regarding the boats, maybe you will get a boat on rent and rest of it depends on that time's environment. GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME TO JUBAIL.

barefootboertjie wrote:

Hi there....

Anybody know what it is like living and working in al jubail?

It's like working in much of the KSA.  Work is work...no matter where you are.  Living in the KSA and its quality largely depend on the housing compound you are in.  There are some nice ones in the Jubail area, but not as many, nor with as much selection as Riyadh.

barefootboertjie wrote:

I know that it is pretty much an industrial city.

Yes and no.  Jubail is an "exploding" city of growth.  There is old Jubail and there is the new, being constructed "new" Jubail area that has better stores, restaurants, parks and a decent Corniche.

barefootboertjie wrote:

- Is an expat allowed to purchase a vehicle via monthly payments (loan from bank)?

You can, once you have an Iqama, but why would you?  If your company doesn't provide a car, then lease one.  Remember that if you decide to leave the KSA for good you cannot with a vehicle registered in your name.

barefootboertjie wrote:

-If I ahd a boat and go out to sea, would my wife be able to take her abaya off (any religious police traveling out at sea)?

No problems there.  No religious police on the high seas.  But if you are approached by a patrol boat, I would highly suggest she covers up her bikini (or less) with a loosely fitting dress or shift.

barefootboertjie wrote:

-Hows traffic during office hours and morning and evenings?

Not bad at all, to be honest.  It's not the number of cars, but the number of stupid drivers.

barefootboertjie wrote:

-Would my wife be able to study while we are there, aka is there universities (as woman and men are segregated at public locations) something like a photographic course for example?

Highly doubtful that such a course exists in the Jubail area.  You can probably search for local higher education institutions, but I am unaware of one in Jubail in which the medium of instruction is English.

Good luck...and welcome.

Dear Vvinthya,
I don't think the lady in question is Muslim so there's no objection for her to go out alone. Myself have lived 8 years in KSA and never had a problem going out shopping or for a coffee whatsoever. Even my young adult daughter was going out alone without a problem and friends who lived in Jubail didn't have any problems either!
Cheers
Arlette

Welcome to the forum, barefootboertjie ! We are a young couple in our early 30s too and I (as my husband is already there) am moving to Jubail hopefully in September with our 11 month old daughter, when all the damn paperwork finally irons itself out. Looking forward to your first impressions of Jubail when you get there and maybe we could meet up!

We visited Cape Town a few years back, it's a lovely place; the adjustment to Jubail might be a hard one! (I live in Paris so I know I'm going to miss the number of available activities, art exhibitions, etc)

Maybe yes, belishabeacon, but living on the East Coast of KSA you have the advantage to skip to Bahrain once in a while to take a break, go to the cinema, shopping, have a good bite (and why not a drink :) ).
Just make sure that you ask the employer to establish a multiple re-entry visa for your family!
Cheers
Arlette

Thanks Arlette. Yes, that's the first thing I made sure of when we knew we were moving to KSA - the multiple re-entry visa! I'm determined to have fun in Jubail, but a little break in Bahrain from time to time will be most welcome. :D

A loan of what?

[email protected] wrote:

Im looking for personal loan, please provide me complete details and procedure.

wow Expat.com became a bank ?

Hi all,

I'm from Malaysia and am contemplating accepting a job offer in Jubail. My concerns are safety and cost of living, which I've read and been told are both okay! Now I have a more specific question on housing. I've been told by friends (more like friends' friends) to seek housing in a compound. How much is the rental at such places? Are thet worth the price (what are the amenities/facilities apart fr security for that kind of price)? Is there enough supply of such housing? I now know rental payment is for 1 yr in advance. My housing allowance from the company is 8000SR. Is that enough for compound living?

Please help! Your insights are greatly appreciated! :)

Alan