Ex-Pat American for a decade

Hello.
I am Servus.
I am an ex-pat American who moved first to Denmark, then to the Faroe Islands.
Right now I work as a fisherman.
But I have worked as a farmer, post man, warehouser, logistics assistant, forklift operator, retirement home orderly, builder, bartender and a bit more.
I have kids up here, but I feel like there is no room for me on these islands. That feeling is a major driving factor in my actions and current plans.
I am an autodidact, so while I have worked plenty of odd jobs, I read at a college level and understand about as much as a graduate in business.
I currently  blog in an attempt to turn into text my memories from the last ten years. You are welcomed to read it.

Hello Servus,

I am Brian, in St. Louis, Missouri! You certainly have done a great deal of work in Faroe which makes me hopeful. How does an American such as myself (and my family) get to be a permanent resident?

Since the day I stumbled upon Faroe on a map I've been taken by it and am obsessed with making it my home!

Cheers,
Brian

Most of the work I have had was in Denmark. There is little work up here right now, but if you want to be a fisherman, you can survive. You need to first contact the Danish Embassy in your country, but you will need a vise explicitly for the Faroe Islands.

Thanks for the insight Servus,

I am feeling out how to get a visa for my family and myself. Projecting to make a move in approximately 2 years. I read that fishing was the primary industry there. Is that something where they always need hands?

Yes, but the money is rather poor, with a few caveats. It is nearly impossible to get a job on the larger, more productive boats, so it is mainly a job for single guys or people who fall in love with that way of life. On land, there are fish factories, but there are seasons for that kind of work and you will still not become rich.

Wealth means little to me. I will most likely, however, reside in Denmark first to get the feel for living somewhere that isn't America. Is a transition and emigration from the U.S. to Denmark very difficult?

There will be a little bit of a culture shock and the political system may be confusing at first. But the languages are not the same. You will need to learn Danish for your transition, but can also learn Faroese at the Faroe House in Copenhagen.
But the transition from Denmark to the Faroe Islands will be a little bit of a life style shock. This is a fishing community where everybody knows everyone.