What is the best way to call the USA?

Hello guys,

When I first came out here, a buddy of mine loaded my labtop with that MagicJack and gave me a USB to call home with.  Once out here, I got a Mobifone account and often use that to call the US, when I am away from my laptop.

Recently, a certain moron broke into my house and took my laptop, along with my MagicJack USB and left me with just my Mobifone account to call home.  I think that is OK, for the time being.

But, as I am looking to replace my gadgets, I really wonder what else is out there?  What do you fellas use?  I have heard of all sorts of things: Tango, Viper..., how are they?  Is Mobifone and their promotional cards an efficient method?  Thanks.

Howie

I use Skype and I love it. The voice quality is stable. The price is acceptable. Most importantly for me, it is available on almost all smartphones. Very convenient I tell you. Plus, if your friends/ relatives had Skype accounts as well, you could do video call.

I have Yahoo! IM (Instant Message).  If you have a webcam and microphone attached you can make video calls for free.  My fiance and I talk 2 times a day.  US to VN.

Skype is great now since they activated the high speed fibre optic link that connects VN to a US gateway with only one intermediate point in HongKong.

And using Skype is fully legal in VN now.

You are best to choose calling times that have minimal traffic say in evening/overnight hours VN time. 20,000,000+ calls is a lot by any measure.

Just remember Skype is now owned by Microsoft who have an open door policy with FBI, BSA, et al.

Bem,

What price are you talking about?  Isn't Skype free? 

Howie

It's free if you're callling to another Skype account. If you want to call a landline/cell number, you have to either buy their skype credits (you'll get charged by minute) or subscribe to their unlimited plan.

Last year, I was able to call any numbers in US/ Canada using google talk with no charge. I'm not sure about 2012. You could also give that a try, the voice quality is superb too.

Thanks, guys.  I have a Skype account.  I don't use it very often.  But, I will give it a try the next time.

Howie

vonagemobile.com/apps/vonage-mobile-app.php
FREE calling to any Vonage home phone customer.

For a limited time (don't know how long), you make FREE calls to any phone in United States (up to 3000 min/month).
Both iphone and android.

Moderator: This is NOT an ad. I don't work for this company and I don't even use their products.

Skype to skype is free. It's a good service with video chat. You can even have it setup with your Vietnamese phone.

Also, I use google voice to sms text to anyone in the US for free.

There's more options out there. Here's a link to more that I have not use.

http://freebies.about.com/od/computerfr … -calls.htm

This is not an ad. Please take note mods.

Viber, Tango, or Skype

Good luck :)

Tin Tin

Skype to Skype is free!

You can also buy credit for Skype and use it to call non-Skype phone number. I have a credit of $15 and I must have called over 100 minutes (Vancouver, Philippine, Vietnam, California). I just check my credit and there's still about $11 dollars left.
My experience is Skype to Skype does not normally work (no answer or static) when I call from Vietnam to Canada. I use Skype credit to call the number directly to get Canada to call me. The quality then is excellent. Canada can here the motorbike speeding or people talking outside my room in Vietnam!

My friend from the US and I love Tango, very convenient as you call to phone number directly, do not need to access Skype account. Viber is okay but the line quality now is not as good as before :)

MagicJack.  Skype was bought by Microsoft.  It won't last.

My wife and I use Viber for voice and Facetime for video.
Viber works well but both parties have to have it installed but it is free to use so thats a plus.

I use MagicJack's new cell app as well as Skype. I like MJ the best as I receive all my calls whether I am home or out and about VN. The quality has been great on the MJ. It is better with the cell app the when I used it on the laptop or house line. You can order it online I believe. I purchased my original USB MJ in the states and get to download the cell app for free. And yes, I too use Facetime for those who have an Apple product. It is far and away the best.

Facetime for video call
Viber for voice call
:)

cang_nduc wrote:

Facetime for video call
Viber for voice call

Viber is only worth it if you have WiFi, otherwise ig just uses the cellular network for data transport instead of voice.  If both ends have WiFi, viber is a free call.

Have you tried FaceTime internationally?

ChrisFox wrote:

Have you tried FaceTime internationally?

Facetime requires both have wifi and Iphone :D we have done it from VN-US and VN-AUS and the quality is very good. For Tango, you need wifi and do not need an Iphone to do video call :)

I would go for Skype

aibiet150204 wrote:

Facetime requires both have wifi and Iphone

Yes I know, I write software for the iPhone (Photo World, Christian World, NotifEye for Facebook and other on the appstore, some are free).  You can also fo Facetime on the iPad and the iTouch.

You can also FaceTime on any Apple LT or desktop. I've used it internationally and it works great.

Ive been using magicjack (for work) for about 5 years here in Malaysia and I hope to continue using it in Vietnam. I use Skype for family because they are spread around in several countries. For anything else, like a call to China, i buy the pre-paid international phone cards--do they offer those in Vietnam?