Pre existing conditions

Hi,
Can some one have a pre existing conditions and still get Health care
in Ecuador.

I would love to answear this question, but please contact me on my privare e-mail at [email protected]

Hi Manonne,

You could share information on the forum so that all members can benefit from it. Thank you.

Did anyone answer?

No, there's conflicting information about this issue.

As far as I know the big health insurance companies here doesn't accept anyone with pre existing condition.
There's some small insurance companies and some international ones you get through internet that offer plans for this but I don't know how reliable they are. I don't know the names I saw the adds somewhere.

Vinny

Also, what is considered a "pre-existing condition"  I am sure that many of us have some type of condition, but what exactly would preclude a person from getting health insurance?

vinny66 wrote:

As far as I know the big health insurance companies here doesn't accept anyone with pre existing condition.
Vinny

Do they turn you down totally or just put exclusions into the policy?

In the US, when I was self-employed and bought private insurance a few years back, the insurance I was offered had clauses saying that they wouldn't pay for anything related to my existing conditions, but would cover anything new.

Bob

Any resident can join the Social Security health care system in Ecuador, even without a job. It will cost about $70/month. As far as I'm aware the only pre-existing conditions that disqualify an applicant are potentially fatal ones like cancer.

Yes, you canget social security here but not for people over 65.

Preconditions are: cancer, high pressure and diabetes.

@BOBH Some health insurance companies has special plans for cancer treatment but in general, doesn't accept no one with preconditions.

Vinny

A year ago, I had back surgery (in Quito). Because I had back surgery previously, in the United States, I had to prove the ruptured disc was different than the newly ruptured one in order for my insurance here to pay for it. Luckily, I was able to get in touch with the doctor's office in the US and they faxed a copy of my report.

Doea any insurance in Ecuadoe cover a 63 year ols male that ie diabetic with high blood pressure

thank you

My wife and I are both 66.  She had breast cancer 5 years ago and we both have high blood pressure.  Does this mean that we cannot get any health coverage at all at any price?

Policies aren't as restrictive as the US. You should be able to find something that works.

vinny66 wrote:

Yes, you canget social security here but not for people over 65.

Preconditions are: cancer, high pressure and diabetes.

@BOBH Some health insurance companies has special plans for cancer treatment but in general, doesn't accept no one with preconditions.

Vinny

What do people over 65 do for healthcare?

The idea is  you have been working and having healthcare since you're young so you will have the benefits until you die.
But try to get healthcare at 65, is other thing.

I heard from some expats that already has the cedula (ecuadorian ID) that they have public healthcare too. But I'm not pretty sure is true.

Byron, in response to the growing older gringo population private health care companies are rolling out new policies all the time. I'm almost certain you can find something suitable.