Legal advice

Hi all,

We are looking at putting an offer on a house in Costa Rica and would like to get any leads on legal advice - specifically if anyone knows of a lawyer in Canada who has experience on the potential pitfalls, etc.

Any individual advice is also greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

You are very smart to seek legal consul, especially when purchasing property. I have used a great lawyer for many things. He is a US educated Costa Rican lawyer, perfectly bilingual and just an all around nice guy too.
Good luck!
D

Rafael Valverde at [email protected]

The best word of advice that we received before we bought was to make sure that you talk to the owner DIRECTLY at some time during your negotiation.  There have been many instances of an agent asking more than what the owner was asking and pocketing the difference.  Real estate in Costa Rica is not regulated and is nothing like Canada or the US.  Just wait until you get to the actual transfer of papers and money     :rolleyes:

get a good CR lawyer !!!!
you can get screwed so easy.
for example:
RE&B ABOGADOS
2201-8012
rebattorneys.com

If it's not too late......... go to this website welovecostarica.com and look for the publication called "How to Buy Real Estate in CR Without Losing Your Camisa"

It's not free but I promise, you won't be sorry.  We've been looking at property for 4-5 years now and this book has saved our butts more than once.  Not only do you want one really really good (highly recommended) attorney, you may want TWO.  I'm not kidding.  Check it out!