Expat Court Marriage in Saudi Arabia

Hi. I am a Malaysian and we are planning with my Pakistani boyfriend to get married here. Here are some of the queries if and so we will get marry here. Here are the following:

1. What are the requirements of Expat Court Marriage here in Saudi?

2. After marriage, what will happen with my iquama? my bank account? Will it be under him?

3. If 2 expat will get married here in Saudi Arabia? Who will suppose to give the dowry? The male or the female?

Hoping for you informative response.

Thank you and best regards.

*Morning*girl*

I would say get in touch with your respective embassies as there would be some rules about Solemnizing Marriages of different nationalities.

Its a general link from the Indian Embassy. Likewise definitely it has to be there from your Embassy. Or check with them.

http://www.indianembassy.org.sa/Content … 38&PID=687

Good Luck.

I'm presuming that you & your boyfriend are Muslims:

morning*girl wrote:

1. What are the requirements of Expat Court Marriage here in Saudi?

This post must answer this queston:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=119491

morning*girl wrote:

2. After marriage, what will happen with my iquama? my bank account? Will it be under him?

If you like, you can transfer your iqama to his name and he'll be your sponsor. But if you are working lady whose sponsor is someone else than your father, there is no need to change the sponsorship.

morning*girl wrote:

3. If 2 expat will get married here in Saudi Arabia? Who will suppose to give the dowry? The male or the female?

Mutual agreement on respective local cultures.
Saudi law will expect the boy to agree on the Mehr money (which is Shiria also). And that's it!

The embassies have to be consulted only if you plan to take the Pakistani nationality or the boy is willing to go for Malayasian nationality. Otherwise, embassies have nothing to do with local muslim marriages.

To add to what I said above, don't ignore the future of the offsprings. A visit & prior consultation with the 2 embassies will be well worth.

Good luck

TheLegendLeads wrote:

To add to what I said above, don't ignore the future of the offsprings. A visit & prior consultation with the 2 embassies will be well worth.

I was going to say this. Embassies will surely be required to check the status back in the home country. I think without that it will be illegal. Thats what I think but I'm not sire of.

Thank you very much for the information. :)

marriage is possible as The legend has mentioned...it is not illegal or there is no prohibitions to get married and your bank account will not be under your husband. women are allowed there to do their own transactions and keep there own accounts. it's got nothing to do with the men.
on the contrary the man has to pay a dowry to you and you have a right to his bank account in terms of food, clothing, medical and schooling. but he has no right to your money, unless you give it to him as a gift

Our marriage is still pending due to some reasons that he keeps on insisting. He wants the my iquama would be under him. I've asked my employer then they told there is no need to transfer of iquama because im working under them but then my boyfriend is insisting that IQUAMA TRANSFER IS A MUST. MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE IS not ENOUGH?  Moreover, upon marriage my bank account will be transferred under him and I could not send money in our origin without his approval. I am quite confused. Kindly enlighten me with these brothers and sisters. Thank you very much.

He told that He asked those things to a Saudi Lawyer for Marriage. I am beginning to doubt that's why I am seeking help here. I dont have the means to go out to go to the embassy to seek help. This is the easiest way to enlighten me. Thank you.

And take note, "There is no marriage to happen if I will not agree for the Iquama transfer". I just want to ask what is the advantage if my iquama will be under him after the marriage? Thank you.

These are the things he told that the Saudi Lawyer advised him.

1. It is a must for the iquama transfer. Marriage certificate is not enough. (For what stupid reason anyway?)

2. My bank account would be transfer under him after the marriage. I can not send money in my country without his approval. (Where is my right to send money or to manage my own money?)

3. I would live only in his place. So I have to give up my slot in our housing in the hospital.

4. I am the one who will give dowry to him because we are here in Saudi Arabia. If two expat will get marry here, the female is supposed to give the dowry. (I find it too weird, that is reverse in the Saudi law, sah?)

Kindly enlighten with these things. Khatir Shukran! :)

morning*girl wrote:

And take note, "There is no marriage to happen if I will not agree for the Iquama transfer". I just want to ask what is the advantage if my iquama will be under him after the marriage? Thank you.

Well, no specific advantages.

- If his company offers him a good medical insurance and if he has a 'married' marital status possibility in his contract, his company may object on giving you the same insurance if your iqama is NOT in his name. (Because they'll know that you are also working).

- The same goes true for the annual air tickets.

- The same for the housing allowed.

- Also, you'll still have to get your exit re-entry processed by YOUR employer.

All these are weak reasons though. I really can't understand what's his point in this demand.

morning*girl wrote:

1. It is a must for the iquama transfer. Marriage certificate is not enough. (For what stupid reason anyway?)

2. My bank account would be transfer under him after the marriage. I can not send money in my country without his approval. (Where is my right to send money or to manage my own money?)

3. I would live only in his place. So I have to give up my slot in our housing in the hospital.

4. I am the one who will give dowry to him because we are here in Saudi Arabia. If two expat will get marry here, the female is supposed to give the dowry. (I find it too weird, that is reverse in the Saudi law, sah?)

Both genders have been made EQUAL except a few physical difference......Otherwise there is no difference in rights at all. You have equal rights to grow, move ahead in your life, support your family back home etc etc.

When 2 souls start living together there is some compromise needed to be agreed from both ends. And then it becomes the matter of mutual understanding. In all cases, it must a win-win situation, otherwise what's the point in living the lives together?

agree with legends, u gonna lose a lot if you go under his iqama unless he has a compnay that will cover ur medical and ticketing. the court should give some document to prove that ur married which is ok. i cant understand why ur bank account must be under him, as there is no lawyer inside saudi that will recommend this...it is direct contradiction to the laws here

morning*girl wrote:

1. It is a must for the iqama transfer. Marriage certificate is not enough. (For what stupid reason anyway?)

Hi morning*girl...I know a lot of people getting married here in Riyadh...It is NEVER a must to transfer your iqama under your 'future' husband. For what stupid reason - I guess, your BF would want full control over your life here in KSA, since you're of different nationalities (non-saudi)...

morning*girl wrote:

Money-matters is just one of the basic - and probably - important part of marriage or when starting your own family, and will depend on how you sort this out with him. And if he says, you cannot send anything without his approval...it's your call...

morning*girl wrote:

Nothing bad here...if you wish to be with him the more. And it's up to your company if you can still keep your slot in your housing...(but most likely not, as most have said in earlier posts - allowances, etc.).

morning*girl wrote:

It is really weird! for a woman to give dowry to a man...that opinion is not of a muslim -- or i have not heard of any teachings in Islam that says so...I have witnessed (expats) getting married in Saudi Courts, and it is the regular marriage rite : Man will have to give dowry to Girl...period...any other thing i say, will discredit your future husband's intention or character :) ...Goodluck! and I pray that you will not be miserable with these pre-marriage conditions...

Do walk in the light...do walk in the light :D

My Pakistani friend working in Riyadh he want to Marriage here.the
girl now a days in visit visa in Riyadh.its possible?
What documents need in marriage?

I'm afraid No. Not only KSA, the entire Middle East doesn't allow official marriages of visitors. Only Iqama holders can register marriages with Iqama holders.

morning*girl wrote:

He told that He asked those things to a Saudi Lawyer for Marriage. I am beginning to doubt that's why I am seeking help here. I dont have the means to go out to go to the embassy to seek help. This is the easiest way to enlighten me. Thank you.

Hi Morning Girl

consulting your embassy is pretty good for you to protect your rights.

As all members agreed that no need for transfering sponsership. Also your bank account is you full responsibilty (even you are under his Iqama), he doesn't have the right to control your money (in general your life).

No need to rush things, make your steps carefully

Best Luck

I agree 100% with popolocroix and TLL.

Your future husband is telling you porkies, go to your own lawyer because there is no way that a woman pays the man the dowry (he wants your money). He wants your bank account under his name (he wants your money) and he wants you under his iqaamah - he wants full control!

As previous posts have made clear there is no law forcing you to be added to his iqaamah,bank,or give him dowry--- these conditions are his personal conditions so you gotta ask yourself if he is worth that much sacrifice- your being asked to give up your freedom and your finance!

may fiancee is non muslim and i am muslim both living in ksa with iqama holder .. she is ready to convert islam and get married with me .. plz tell me the procedure what i and she need to do and what documents required and where we register ourself for marriage..

morning*girl wrote:

My dear

A few words of advice:

Walk Away and find someone without the requirements this man has! Not one of them appears to be required and if he is as controlling as this now you are not destined for a happy married life, unless you like to be told what to do. My guess is that he will then want you to not to send money to your family and finish working.

Good Luck :nothappy:

Just out of curiosity @Martin, I'm wondering what exactly made you comment on a year old question? :)

The world is so beautiful, I wish the people of this world are more lovely .........

I THINK that when he is married his igama status will change to a married man.  This way when you travel and check into a hotel, his igama will state that he is married and you two can have a room together.  When I married there in 2009 I did NOT change my igama and we had no trouble when we traveled around Saudi.  Just kept a copy of our marriage certificate in our car.  Maybe if you two are stopped while out shopping and challenged about being together his igama and yours showing under his name will prove that you are allowed to be together.  BUT it is not a MUST.  Keep your bank accounts separate.  If you are both muslim, he and his family must pay YOU a dowry.  The judge asked me how much mine was and if I had received it yet.   When you go to court you can ask for a list of documents needed for marriage.  ANY DOCUMENT NOT IN ARABIC MUST BE OFFICIALLY TRANSLATED.  This last fact delayed my marriage.  Also, ensure that you have a copy of your marriage certificate, try to keep the original.  Good luck.  Hope you have a wonderful marriage.

Elizabeth

Beth52 wrote:

I THINK that when he is married his igama status will change to a married man.  This way when you travel and check into a hotel, his igama will state that he is married and you two can have a room together.  When I married there in 2009 I did NOT change my igama and we had no trouble when we traveled around Saudi.  Just kept a copy of our marriage certificate in our car.  Maybe if you two are stopped while out shopping and challenged about being together his igama and yours showing under his name will prove that you are allowed to be together.  BUT it is not a MUST.  Keep your bank accounts separate.  If you are both muslim, he and his family must pay YOU a dowry.  The judge asked me how much mine was and if I had received it yet.   When you go to court you can ask for a list of documents needed for marriage.  ANY DOCUMENT NOT IN ARABIC MUST BE OFFICIALLY TRANSLATED.  This last fact delayed my marriage.  Also, ensure that you have a copy of your marriage certificate, try to keep the original.  Good luck.  Hope you have a wonderful marriage.

Elizabeth

Well, I guess we did save that girl from a disaster :) never heard from that gal ever again. I wish she would be fine.

Hello...i'm a working lady and married to a Yemen national in my country.  We had an authenticated marriage contract from my country and translated to arabic...i came here with my own visa which is in manzel amaliya but working in different sponsor/company but the company is not ready to transfer the iqama of their workers to them so,...i'm just worried if it could be a problem after the November 3 deadline even if i stay at home and stop working but in the same iqama? The sponsor of my iqama is also a friend of my husband and we don't give any money to pay for it in return. Is it ok if we just have a letter signed by my sponsor and just stop working and stay at home?

Let me state what law says: 'Working for anyone else than your sponsor is illegal.'
Of course a sponsor issuing some kinda letter doesn't change the law.

Nevertheless, if you are just staying at home (NOT working), no one must bother you.

I am a working in a Establishment (Muassassa) my profession is Marketing Representative (Mandub Mabiat) and my wife is working in another Establishment (Muassassa) her profession is Cleaning Labor and we already married in our country of Bangladesh. We had an authenticated marriage contract from my country and translated to Arabic with attested from Saudi Embassy Dhaka. Me and my wife is in Saudi Arabia now. Can you let me know is it possible to transfer her Iqama to my iqama as a wife. Our company is ready to provide any necessary documents for her Iqama transfer to me.

Hello all,
not yet get any solve, so, I am asking to all again.
I AM BANGLADESHI, CURRENTLY I AM IN RIYADH,I HAVE A FILIPINA GF. SHE WORKS IN HOSPITAL IN MEKKAH. WE WANT TO MARY EACHOTHER ADN WANT TO STAY TOGETHER IN SAUDI ARAB.
NOW MY QUESTIONS-
1. WHAT SHOULD NEED TO MARRY EACH OTHER?
2. WHERE WE NEED TO GO FOR MARRY? AND PLS GIVE ME THER ADDRESSS?
3. HOW MUCH MONEY NEED TO PAY FOR MARY?
PLS TELL ME DETAILS IF ANYBODY KNOWS.

THANK YOU ALL..

Salam.MORNING GIRL what happened about ur marriage issue?i read ur story and am feeling u r so so so innocent.look baby,,am working in a big hospital and have a plenty of non saudi couples around me.and have seen such things happening a lot(like ur issue).Dear,u can't change ur iqama to him at any cost unless u stop working and go to his iqama and stay at home,but if u wana work then no way,,,there is no option that u ll stay under him.and this is latest govt issue where a lot of problems happened and finally everyone is now working at their own iqama place.2nd thing,,islam doesn't Favour dowry from girl and saudi law is not saying at all for any nationality to pay dowry to guy.3rd thing,,,ur husband has no right on ur money at all,at all,at all, by Islam and by Pakistani law as well and saudi law same as well.so,if he is insisting abt money issues then move on baby,,alot of good guys r around.u ll find another one(though I know its painful,but at the end of the day u ll be happy with ur decision).and if u don't wana leave him then tell I ll leave job and ll be transferred on ur iqama and no dowery.

Lovevictim wrote:

Salam.MORNING GIRL what happened about ur marriage issue?i read ur story and am feeling u r so so so innocent.look baby,,am working in a big hospital and have a plenty of non saudi couples around me.and have seen such things happening a lot(like ur issue).Dear,u can't change ur iqama to him at any cost unless u stop working and go to his iqama and stay at home,but if u wana work then no way,,,there is no option that u ll stay under him.and this is latest govt issue where a lot of problems happened and finally everyone is now working at their own iqama place.2nd thing,,islam doesn't Favour dowry from girl and saudi law is not saying at all for any nationality to pay dowry to guy.3rd thing,,,ur husband has no right on ur money at all,at all,at all, by Islam and by Pakistani law as well and saudi law same as well.so,if he is insisting abt money issues then move on baby,,alot of good guys r around.u ll find another one(though I know its painful,but at the end of the day u ll be happy with ur decision).and if u don't wana leave him then tell I ll leave job and ll be transferred on ur iqama and no dowery.

You are responding to a 2 years old post.

There is no complication, if both are Muslims, its fairly simple to get married in Saudi Arabia as long as its not a Saudi you are marrying.

I don't suppose there are any court marriages here, there is Nikah and an official "Certificate of Marriage" or Nikah Naama is given which is accepted by both the Pakistani and Malaysian embassies. You ought to get it endorsed from both the embassies.

What if one is marrying saudi?

If female, she become Saudi citizen after few years, if male, he will act like Saudi guy, for example can work in government directly, can open his own business. ...

salam allaikum..can any1 help me on wat to do?
me and my india boyfriend are planning to marry here in Saudi aradi.i am from Philippine..both of us are muslim..we are having hard time e=searching for some info on wat are the requierements we will need for marry for his from india and im from Philippine..please if any1 has an idea kindly send me info..it will be a great help...

shukran katir...ALLAH HAFIZ

Hi, my situation looks a bit complicated so im just curious if anyone out there has any idea how me as a norwegian can get married to a filipina who works as a nurse there in Riyadh. Neither the norwegian nor the filipino embassy marries couples if they dont have the same nationality. What options do i have?

Did you find out about it? looks like im in the same shoes as you are

Hello stigandre-norway,
You both are different nationality. So that following requirements you need:
1, Your spouse parents consent letter which one attest by her city magistrate, then make it DFA Red Ribbon in Passy city in Manila, After that make it Translate as Arabic from Saudian Embassy Manila,
2. Need her companys (owner of Hospital) permission letter, and this permission letter approve by Zawajat, After Zaqajat go to  Ministry of Foriegn affairs to stamp,
3. Then go to philippine embassy or go to Nikah Court .i think Philippine embassy better for you,
4. take two witness from your spouse side who knows her very well,

If you facing any misunderstand dont hesitate to call me

so i have to get married in the phillipines  Manila, Pasay first? i dont quite get it.. and after get the papers translated into arabic? so the option of making the marriage license in saudi is out of the question?