Looking at Hungray to retire

Hello I'm currently in U.S wanting to be an Expat. I'm a retired nurse. I'm still youngish lol really I did retire early. I'm friendly,My ego is in portion with my reality. lol. I have always wanted to travel. Now that my children are grown and out on their own, I have no reason, excuse,whatever not to. Looking forward to meeting new friends

sincerely Opalla

Hi,

You shouldn't be getting any hate-mail, we are quite used to our names and country being mis-spelled left and right :-)

Before moving here for good you should definitely try an extended stay. You might find out you don't like it at all! Even if you like it here, you must know if you want the city, middle of nowhere, or somewhere in between, hills or plains, flat or house, and so on.

Thank you for you good advice.It is appreciated. The hate mail was from another american and it has stopped. I will try to edit it     
Opalla

Hello Opalla,

I do not know if you have taken that plunge and moved to Hungary yet, but I can tell you that what I saw of Budapest last August was magical. I wandered several districts, like a Bohemian vagrant, marveling at the arts, the traditional central markets, the food, etc. Budapest is, for the most part, truly a beautiful city.

I am a retired Electrical Engineer and will return to Budapest in early April. If you happen to be in Budapest at that time, perhaps we can occasionally wander the city together. It is nice to explore with someone.

Rob

hi I just returned home from family visit. No unfortunately not in BP yet had many family events to attend before I get there. Hope you are enjoying your stay there! warmest regards Opalla

americantraveler wrote:

I wandered several districts, like a Bohemian vagrant, marveling at the arts, the traditional central markets, the food, etc. Budapest is, for the most part, truly a beautiful city.

If that's what you liked about Budapest, next time you'll have to visit Szentendre! It's ~20 minutes by car, 40 by public transportation (the green HEV train from Batthyany square, Szentedre is its terminal station)

Oh, and I fly home to Hungary from Orange County today so we were close pretty all week :-)

Yes, this is my last weekend in Hungary so I am going to take the train to both Szentendre and Godollo (hopefully).

For Opalla's benefit - the weather here in Budapest has been unsettled. Kind of cold, windy and then followed by nice days. Almost no rain (it rained part of every day I was here in early August of last year. So I would say mid-April onward is really when ideal weather will be encountered.

Bring two passport sized photos, buy the two-week metro pass (6500 Huff) and explore the city via tram, metro, trolly bus, city train. Exchage US dollars only as you need them. The exchange rate went from 220 Huff/Dollar to 225 Huff/Dollar in one week. But the spread to change back to Dollars is alwasy at least 2 Huff so you will get more value by holding on to your Dollars and exchange as need. 

It will be a hoot for you! Enjoy!
Rob