Madinaty or rehab?

where would u recomend to live? Madinaty or Rehab? Im married to an egyptian with two small childeren. I need a clean, safe place with no lower class people.
Madinaty seems to be better, however its a still o empty, Rehab is full of people and expats. Please help

me.expat wrote:

where would u recomend to live? Madinaty or Rehab? Im married to an egyptian with two small childeren. I need a clean, safe place with no lower class people.
Madinaty seems to be better, however its a still o empty, Rehab is full of people and expats. Please help

I lived in both and am currently living in Madinaty, though it lacks some services (nothing critical though) but I like it more than Rehab and having less people is a big plus .... no traffic jam, noise or any of the Rehab disadvantages ......

and there are lots of expats in Madinaty as well

The Egyptian wrote:

I would not advise either rehab or Madinaty as Rehab is too busy and the noise at weekends with kids running around the streets in there dad's cars  and traffic getting like downtown cairo, its now becoming a really horrible place to live.
as for Madinaty it will take years for it to be finished and there is very little in terms of services available right now plus it will be a Rehab in no time at all.
i would recommend a small compound with a few villas at least you will have some peace.
(ps. a rehab resident thinking of getting out)

chocolata wrote:
The Egyptian wrote:

I would not advise either rehab or Madinaty as Rehab is too busy and the noise at weekends with kids running around the streets in there dad's cars  and traffic getting like downtown cairo, its now becoming a really horrible place to live.
as for Madinaty it will take years for it to be finished and there is very little in terms of services available right now plus it will be a Rehab in no time at all.
i would recommend a small compound with a few villas at least you will have some peace.
(ps. a rehab resident thinking of getting out)

Madinaty's services are growing day by day and it's very quiet, safe and serene ..... unlike Rehab which is becoming crowded, congested and noisy .....

Anyone who thinks Rehab is filled with crazy kids driving dad's car is living in a dream world or spends too much time hanging out at the Food Court on a Thursday night.

Not that I need to defend Rehab, but it's a different world from Cairo. To make such a comparison is just silly, like comparing Memphis Egypt with Memphis Tennessee.

I don't know Medinaty, though I understand it's even further away from civilization than Rehab, if that's possible.

It's true that Rehab has a lot of noisy horn-honking from the big trucks as they drive by the entrance gates but to say that it's noisy and congested is daft.

jveeds wrote:

Anyone who thinks Rehab is filled with crazy kids driving dad's car is living in a dream world or spends too much time hanging out at the Food Court on a Thursday night.

No not filled ...... but it's gradually getting more crowded and congested

jveeds wrote:

Not that I need to defend Rehab, but it's a different world from Cairo. To make such a comparison is just silly, like comparing Memphis Egypt with Memphis Tennessee.

can't agree more

jveeds wrote:

I don't know Medinaty, though I understand it's even further away from civilization than Rehab, if that's possible.

15 KMs east of Rehab (on Suez Road)

jveeds wrote:

It's true that Rehab has a lot of noisy horn-honking from the big trucks as they drive by the entrance gates but to say that it's noisy and congested is daft.

I am saying relatively to Madinaty, not relatively to Cairo

I am sorry, I do not know your nationality, I am English, used to live in Rehab, on 2 separate occasions, but when I read your post I could not believe you had actually written the words 'safe with no lower class people'. People are people, just because they may not be as affluent or edcuated as you does not mean they are lower class, I found this quite offensive.

This is for Jvees,
well let me tell you i never hang about the food courts, i am a married women who nearly got run over by a young kid in his dads car as he was lucky if he was 14yrs old, and "yes"there is plenty noise here in Rehab trying to sleep and get woken up in the early hours of the morning with quad bikes and speeding cars with young children driving "yes" young children can make you a wee bit fed up, i wonder where you are living in
rehab? you must be deaf not to hear the noise most weekends,or maybe you are used to a lot of noise you coming from America.

And just for talking sake i move to Rehab 9yrs ago and until the last 3yrs it was a lovely place to live, but it is becoming over crowded and noisy.

Ms Chocolata: I didn't say no one could get run over in Rehab. But when you consider your chances of getting run over in Rehab vs, say Cairo proper or many other towns, I'd take my chances with Rehab. Just because you almost got run over (and I'm sorry to hear that) doesn't mean it's a general occurrence.

I find the bizarre horn honking of the mega-trucks very annoying out by the gate areas, and I'm not too fond of a certain resident's poor dog which she keeps cooped up out on a balcony, causing it to bark in the middle of the night. But in general, Rehab is a lot quieter than many other urban areas I've lived in.

Personally, I'm less concerned with horn honking than with the filthy habits of people who leave their garbage in the hallway to be attacked by stray cats in the night thanks to residents who insist on leaving the building door open 24X7. But this is not something unique to Rehab and in fact the streets of Rehab look like a hospital operating room compared to much of Cairo.

To yasmeen:  here in egypt we have classes.
The society is shared: educated, not
educated and yes the lower class is an issue. Why? Cos simply they dont care about any and acting in a bad way: are noisy, dumping rubbish anywhere and they love it! They behave like  monkeys once they see an expat. Read ( staring, calling and insulting on the street, touching my hair in shops, asking for picture) so pls do not tell me that people are people. I can see u are covered. Well, good for you as u can live anywhere in cairo and propably noone would harasse u.  i didnt want to be offensive. Even egyptians use the words 'lower class', ' middle calss'.

dear all, i'm completely agree that there is lower class, and especially in Egypt it is very obvious. but i read all the comments and didn't get a clear answer. where is it better to live. madinaty or rehab? i'm currently leaving in rehab with my family, but especially the souk is a very dirty place, although it's very necessary. i didn't see anything like that in madinaty. but rehab is more green there is not so much trees in madinaty although there is lots of cars.and madinaty is more clean, although its still desert...so really don't know what to do. i need my girl to grow upin a good place with polite people.

Madinaty

well i would suggest you move down to madinaty cos there you will have high class of Expat..... i am not saying they don't have high class of expat in Rehab aswell but i could have suggested the rehab of 3 years ago but not the rehab of 2013 to date i think madinaty will be okay for you and if you are looking into the distance as well i will suggest either you go to JW Marriott or katameya height or gulf.......... thanks

I lived in both cities

Al Rehab full of life and close to attractions. Madienaty still needs 5 years to be operative

You can choose to be away from Al Rehab crowded noisy areas by living in 5th stage or Al Rehab 2

Well, both cities are nice place to live.

They are compounds but Rehab City is known than Madinaty.

Rehab city is built for long time while Madinaty still new.

I lived in Rehab City for almost 4 years. You will find almost everything in one roof. Malls, super markets & foodcourt and buses inside compound & out. Security all over the compound.

Sooner or later Madinaty will be same in Rehab city....

Thanks

I lived in Rehab my friend in madinaty.

Rehab with everything specially like the club noise but lively and close to the down town ,airport。。。。;
madinaty quiet and with good price to buy or rent,

Up to you just be there and check.

RYI

Let me put my pound coin in here)))
First - do you have a car? Because Al Rehab you can reach by bus and Madinaty you cannot (microbuses i do not count) No need to go far from the city, if your husband needs to drive there and back to work everyday, plus you'll want (sooner or later) to go out (dining, shopping, etc)
Second - what about the school/nursery for you children? Well, a nursery does not mean that much as a school does. And here people usually choose not the closest but the best school available for their kids. And getting there/back everyday is also an issue.
Third - spare time. Madinaty is empty now, Rehab is more green and more alive, i can say. Madinaty has almost no places to play with the kids, Rehab at least has some small green alleys inside for kids to ride a bicycle etc. Plus club of course.
Forth - social environment. Rehab is open for anyone to drive in (means noisy, especially food court/souk area). Madinaty is more quiet (till now). A lot of people prefer to move out of Rehab and a lot want to move in. The first compare Rehab 5-7 years ago and now, the secong - Rehab and other areas of the city. I will not advise JWM and Qattameya or closed compounds in T5, because everywhere there are problems like smb said - kids driving their parents' cars. It is not a place problem, it is their parents' mindset problem actually.
Last but not least - i understand you will rent the appt, not buy. If so - try Rehab first, you can always move to Madinaty, if you do not like it.
PS - Sorry for possible mistakes, English is not my native language

Hi marina 1957 did you move out of Rehab and if so where did you move to?
If anyone in Madinaty is interested in starting a group where we can find ways to keep kids busy please let me know.
I too thought of moving to Rehab for convenience sake but chose Madinaty instead. Granted its still new but growing and its quite a distance but at least its quiet.
If anyone has nursery going children I'm interested to find out how they get to school?  I don't drive and would be willing to pay for the service.
Thanks to all.

I lived in madienty for 6 months and visited rehab daily ,  i recommend rehab with no doubt