Moving to Myanmar next week. Is it worth it to bring a TV?

Prices here in US are roughly $10/inch for a nice LCD HDTV. In th Philippines, where we've just been living, they're quite a bit higher, which is all we have to go on when estimating prices in Myanmar.
We will have space in our cargo shipment to ship a tv, but if it costs about the same in Myanmar (For a Brand-Name TV), then we'll fill that space with something else.

Can anyone give us an idea how much LDC HDTV's from Brand-Name makers cost in Myanmar? Thank you

Definitely bring a TV if you can.  Not only are prices on the high side here but there is a lack of choice and availability.  If you have a shipping allowance or the means to bring some items in I would recommend you do that every time!

Vicky

Unless you get a free shipping allowance to bring your tv, I wouldn't bother. Basically anything is available in Yangon. The supermarkets are great compared to China or Cambodia with lots of imported goodies and alcohol is amongst the cheapest on the planet. Electrical appliances are also cheap and available.

Happy moving!

Thank you both. I somewhat expected differing opinions, but not quite opposite. ;-)
I've read now that any new electronics will incur a tax levy by customs, so it'll have to go as "used". However, I found that almost all TV's here in the US are 120V only, and knowing that the Hertz vary somewhat in Asia, would prefer not to have a tv hooked to a converter constantly. Thank you for your advice and time, though. Anyone know of any expats who brought in a TV and had good luck with it?

We've also learned that shipping of foods is quite problematic to Myanmar. Seems Customs caps our dry foods allowed in at 30Kg, and prohibit ALL liquids! Now to try to return the good oils and sauces to the supermarket! ;(
Now we need to know if we'd have any problems bringing in liquid consumables, like olive oil, sauces, etc, in our baggage when we arrive. Anyone know?
Thanks in advance!

Hi
Dont bother. Just take enough cash
and you get any thing there.
Good Luck with your move. I wished I am
Stan

Never heard of any problms with consumables in luggage - but again, I left Myanmar two years ago.

Might have to disagree about the TV - well, everything is available in Yangon but quality and price might give you a surprise. We had our own TV in Yangon and it was ok but I'd definitely hook it to a UPS to avoid damage ;-)

Good luck with the move and enjoy Myanmar experience!