DKV (German health insurer) throwing out expatriates

Has anyone here had health insurance through Deutsche Krankenversicherung (DKV) while living in the United States?  In 1997, while working as a U.S.-based journalist for German radio, I entered into a health plan with DKV, which seemed to be the only German health insurer taking on customers living permanently in the United States.  On December 2, 2011, they canceled my health plan without warning, based on the fact that I live in the United States.  This may be illegal and can cause significant risks for those who were insured with DKV.  I am currently checking into the legal aspect and would be interested in finding other German expats who have been through the same thing.

Tom,

Thanks for your reply, but wait a minute ... before we cry murder and just say they can get away with everything (like stealing and endangering the lives of others), why not fight back?  I think that is more productive!

I have done some legal research on my own, went through a list of specialized healthcare attorneys in Germany and contacted some, and now I have drafted a letter to Deutsche Krankenversicherung (DKV) demanding back that portion of my previously paid premiums that are allocated for "aging reserves" (Alterungsrückstellung), because this extra portion was earmarked to benefit me as I get older, as the premiums would not further increase.  Because DKV made these payments mandatory but is now preventing me from benefiting through their action, I believe to have a strong position, and if DKV does not cooperate, I will invest in an attorney and sue them if needed.  The more people are willing to stand up and fight, rather than throwing up their hands, the more mementum we all gain.

Georg

I have tried to respond to this post, but it was blocked by the administrators.  I am posting again, very politely, but with 1 simple fact.

I can sympathize with you as my wife had her health insurance premium increased over 100% during her pregnancy to about 12,000 USD where as competitors are between 5000 and 7000 USD.

Please connect so we can discuss offline outside of this forum.

Thanks,

You're talking to someone who hasn't been here in 2 years.  He probably won't read it.