Learning to drive - UK or US?

Having lived in London most of my adult life (I'm 40) I have never got round to taking my driving test. We are now moving to California where not driving will be a serious handicap! I'm having lessons hee in the UK but does anyone have an opinion as to whether it would be best to take the test here or in the US? Is it passible for non-residents to take a test in the US? We will be coming back to the UK for visits but don't anticipate living here permanently again...advice please!

Hi kate
   I don't know if there is passible for non-residents to take a test in USA, I think it is useful if you can drive a car smoothly in USA.
   I can't drive a car before. I like take a taxi or bus.But I think it is a serious handicap if I can't drive,so take some exercise of driving on a plant ground.it is spent one month on exercise.now I can drive a car on the road.
   I have a garment factory in china, so I must learn driving.
hoping these advice is useful to you,and I hope I can make good fiend with you.

best regards
bill jackson

Kate,

I'd recommend learning to drive in the UK without a doubt, where drivers are much more competent than over here. I don't think you'll have much luck trying to get a driving license in the States without a SSN - I recall having to wait 6 months until I got mine, without which of course, working is a near impossibility.

I don't think you've got a choice but to pass in the UK. Besides you're better off "learning with the experts as it were". Drivers over here truly are morons.

kate_w wrote:

Having lived in London most of my adult life (I'm 40) I have never got round to taking my driving test. We are now moving to California where not driving will be a serious handicap! I'm having lessons hee in the UK but does anyone have an opinion as to whether it would be best to take the test here or in the US? Is it passible for non-residents to take a test in the US? We will be coming back to the UK for visits but don't anticipate living here permanently again...advice please!

Once you move to the U.S you will have to take your test again over there anyway ( well you do in GA anyway)your drivers licence runs in line with your visa now so it will expire when your visa expires, its easy to renew you just have to show up with your renewed visa or permanent resident card. If you haven't taken your test in the UK you have to show that you have done 40 hours of driving then take a written test and a driving test which is the same if you have a full licence from the UK anyway. It is easier to pass in the US also!
The choice is yours!!

Hope this helps. Contact me if you need any more advice on moving I would be glad to help.
Lisa

lisam1 wrote:
kate_w wrote:

Once you move to the U.S you will have to take your test again over there anyway ( well you do in GA anyway)your drivers licence runs in line with your visa now so it will expire when your visa expires, its easy to renew you just have to show up with your renewed visa or permanent resident card. If you haven't taken your test in the UK you have to show that you have done 40 hours of driving then take a written test and a driving test which is the same if you have a full licence from the UK anyway. It is easier to pass in the US also!
The choice is yours!!
Hi lisam
   I think it is easier than in china, I got my driven licence in 2006, and I have driven 100,000 kilometres in total. I have no accident.the written test and the driving test cost my three month to pass it. and the fee is 400USD.My father is a driver,I can drive a car on the road when I was 12years old, you will find it is very good if you have a car in china, there are many sceneries in china, it is a magic thing that you traveling in china.
    I have a car named BWM which cost me 100,000USD. I plan to sale it,because I fall in love with another car.
    I am a easy man,hoping to make friends with you.

Bill

Hope this helps. Contact me if you need any more advice on moving I would be glad to help.
Lisa

I don't know if this is too late for you. I'm in my 30s. I moved to California at the end of 2008. I never took my test in London. I thought about it, but decided that adapting to the other side of the road might be trickyThe rules here are different and it's a lot easier to drive here than in London. Also, passing your test here is a breeze - really easy. You do need to have your papers in order (Social Security Card) and you need to book a theory test asap and a driving test as soon as you've passed that. I've posted a blog about the California Driving test. Have a look at that and let me know if you have any more questions.
Having said that, I am fortunate to be living in San Francisco, where the public transport is fab, so I didn't need to drive right away. Check up about the public transport where you're going.

Do driving schools like in the UK exist in Georgia USA ?

Ray
I got your private message and have replied. There are plenty of driving schools in GA. Try google...

Good Luck!

[Moderated: No free ad pls]