Moving to Tanzania and interested in taking 4 suitcases worth of food.

I'm trying to move to Tanzania from the US and bring some food with me. Mainly just 4 suitcases with a bunch of non-perishables that I can have while in the country. Will this be a problem clearing customs? If so, what would others recommend the best way to go about doing this? Or should I just give up? I was willing to spend the money since it would be worth it for me to bring certain diet items I want.

Welcome to Expat.com Stillmatic!

Harmonie.;)

Hey Stillmatic. Importation of food items into Tanzania is fraught with difficulties when it comes to clearing them. To import food into Tanzania even for personal use, you need to get an import permit from Tanzania Bureau of Standards. Recently though, they have introduced a new system where all imports are inspected in country of origin and you are issued with a certificate of conformity. Read this link tbs.go.tz/index.php/services
In addition to getting the certificate of conformity, you need to ensure that by the time your food stuff arrive in Tanzania, they still have a minimum 6 months shelf life or else they will be confiscated.

In addition to this, you will also pay duties and taxes on the food items. By and large, if you are able to access those food items in Tanzania, best not import them

Hi Stillmatic,

Got some great news. I saw your post and the post after it from angycharms, and it got me curious.

Sooo I emailed the website that was listed as a link below with your question. And I stated that they would be for personal use, not for re-sale. I received an email back asking the amount and value of the goods. I asked if there was a range that they went by.

Here is the response.

"Below 1000 USD by air/courier the goods will not need inspection at country of origin/export."

Email Received From:

David Ndibalema
Quality Assurance Officer
Tanzania Bureau of Standards,
P.O.Box, 9524, Ubungo, DSM
Mob: +255 713 447392
web: www.tbs.go.tz
email: [email protected]
          [email protected]

So, from what I am understanding, it shouldn't be a problem for you to bring your items.

Hope this helps.

Bonnie