Cost of living in muscat

Hi!

I have an offer from a muscat company with salary of OMR 180 only, food,Accommodation taken care by company itself.

I am single, how much i can save, or this is a very low salary for an engineer???

hi i got an ofer of 1200 omani riyal?can any body pls evaluate is it ok?

Dear all,

Thank you in advance for your help.

I'm posting here because I'm on my way of getting an offer from a civil engineering company in Oman  Muscat and I'd like to have my homework done in advance.
General description on my situation would be: I'm a EU national, educated in civil engineering (c.e.) up to and including Ph.D. , work experience 3 years that includes 50%  teaching in a c.e university and 50% research experience (in the US and other EU countries) -that's to say none or very limited practical experience.
The position was advertised by the company's head office (it's a multinational). They did the initial pre-screening and passed on the submission to their branch in Muscat.  I've been informed that I've been short-listed and will get an offer soon from Oman  unspecified dead-line due to problems related to hiring an expat. The position itself if for a junior c.e. I've applied for this because I'm contemplating a career change and in a lot of cases my prior education and work-experience seemed to be a drawback.  I've read past posts but not all of them  hoping to get fresh info.
My question are:
1. what would be the lowest amount I'm to expect (the mentioned package include mobilisation/demobilisation, travel to and out of Muscat + 1 round air ticket for holiday, paid 22 days leave, medical, and furnished bachelor) and if I would be to negotiate where should I stop?
2. there are to big no-goes for me: having my passport safeguarded by my employer for the time in Muscat and coming alone (I'm married) and the initial job ad mentioned un-accompanied contract. Is it likely to face this issues and are they negotiable?
3. when does it actually apply the two year contract rule  the job ad is for a one year contract?
4. how hard is it for a women to live in a Muslim country such as Oman  first experience of this kind and I'm concerned for my wife's well-being while there?
5. is it safe so assume that 600 RO worth of spending  (groceries, internet, etc.) would suffice for a family without kids, very rarely drinking and without a shopping addiction (only necessary stuff) ?
6. how likely is for a women to get a job in Muscat  - nothing fancy (she's having a M.Enge in environmental engineering) ?
Any other advices regarding a work contract in Oman as well as miscellaneous info are more than welcome.
Sorry for the long post but I tend to believe that a good input might provide a good output. 
Best regards.

Hi

I got an offer of 1400RO .. and accomodation and everything is mine. I am single. is it sufficient to live and save good amount of money?

aswin25 wrote:

Hi!

I have an offer from a muscat company with salary of OMR 180 only, food,Accommodation taken care by company itself.

I am single, how much i can save, or this is a very low salary for an engineer???

Hi aswin25,

For an Engineer the salary offered is absolutely low. No questions about that.

Since you are single and and since the major expenses are borne by the company, you could perhaps survive on that salary - if you so desire.

Good luck.

Ankit16 wrote:

Hi

I got an offer of 1400RO .. and accomodation and everything is mine. I am single. is it sufficient to live and save good amount of money?

HI Ankit16 ,

For single status this salary is good. The answer to your question is a resounding yes !

Best of luck.

ais30 wrote:

Dear all,

Thank you in advance for your help.

I'm posting here because I'm on my way of getting an offer from a civil engineering company in Oman  Muscat and I'd like to have my homework done in advance.
General description on my situation would be: I'm a EU national, educated in civil engineering (c.e.) up to and including Ph.D. , work experience 3 years that includes 50%  teaching in a c.e university and 50% research experience (in the US and other EU countries) -that's to say none or very limited practical experience.
The position was advertised by the company's head office (it's a multinational). They did the initial pre-screening and passed on the submission to their branch in Muscat.  I've been informed that I've been short-listed and will get an offer soon from Oman  unspecified dead-line due to problems related to hiring an expat. The position itself if for a junior c.e. I've applied for this because I'm contemplating a career change and in a lot of cases my prior education and work-experience seemed to be a drawback.  I've read past posts but not all of them  hoping to get fresh info.
My question are:
1. what would be the lowest amount I'm to expect (the mentioned package include mobilisation/demobilisation, travel to and out of Muscat + 1 round air ticket for holiday, paid 22 days leave, medical, and furnished bachelor) and if I would be to negotiate where should I stop?
2. there are to big no-goes for me: having my passport safeguarded by my employer for the time in Muscat and coming alone (I'm married) and the initial job ad mentioned un-accompanied contract. Is it likely to face this issues and are they negotiable?
3. when does it actually apply the two year contract rule  the job ad is for a one year contract?
4. how hard is it for a women to live in a Muslim country such as Oman  first experience of this kind and I'm concerned for my wife's well-being while there?
5. is it safe so assume that 600 RO worth of spending  (groceries, internet, etc.) would suffice for a family without kids, very rarely drinking and without a shopping addiction (only necessary stuff) ?
6. how likely is for a women to get a job in Muscat  - nothing fancy (she's having a M.Enge in environmental engineering) ?
Any other advices regarding a work contract in Oman as well as miscellaneous info are more than welcome.
Sorry for the long post but I tend to believe that a good input might provide a good output. 
Best regards.

Hi ais30,

Find answers to your queries below :

(1)    For a 3-year experienced candidate the salary won't be more than a maximum of R.O. 1000/- maximum (given your qualifications, else it will be around R.O. 750/-).

(2)    Holding your passport is entirely up to the discretion of the company that you are planning to join. Most companies do. Some dont.

Before you sign the contract it is advisable to make your employer be aware that you would be bringing your wife along and so state up front that you must be provided with family status at the earliest.

(3)    Employment visas are valid for a period of 2 years.

(4)    It is not hard at all for anybody to live in Oman, as long as you follow some simple guidelines like dressing modestly and respecting the local customs and traditions. Compared to the likes of Saudi Arabia, Oman is a far more progressive and tolerant nation.

(5)    Given your lifestyle, for a family without kids a monthly living expenditure of R.O. 400/- (excluding house rent) would more than suffice.

(6)    Very unlikely, given the current situation. Read the many posts in this forum on that subject.

Scanning the various posts in the forum would throw a lot of light to clarify all your concerns. Please do so.

Good luck !

Dear Sumitran,
First of all thank you so much for the info.  Now I have a better idea of what to expect.
If and when time allows you, and if it is not to much to ask, I could really use your thoughts regarding:
1. what is the advantage of getting a marital status since, as far as I understand from previous posts, EU national can get a visa at the point of entry? I'm not trying to conceal my status in any way (I've read the post about undeclared marital status) but since there are no benefits in having my spouse declared I would not want her to have the travelling freedom affected;
2. how can one travel to neighbouring countries (UAE) without a passport (if the employer choose to keep the passport)?
Once again thank you for the info.
Kind regards.

ais30 wrote:

Dear Sumitran,
First of all thank you so much for the info.  Now I have a better idea of what to expect.
If and when time allows you, and if it is not to much to ask, I could really use your thoughts regarding:
1. what is the advantage of getting a marital status since, as far as I understand from previous posts, EU national can get a visa at the point of entry? I'm not trying to conceal my status in any way (I've read the post about undeclared marital status) but since there are no benefits in having my spouse declared I would not want her to have the travelling freedom affected;
2. how can one travel to neighbouring countries (UAE) without a passport (if the employer choose to keep the passport)?
Once again thank you for the info.
Kind regards.

Hello ais30,

Hope the following information is useful.

(1)    Entry visa on arrival is one thing; getting a resident card is another. Unless you declare your marital status correctly you will face issue later on when your wife wishes to join you as a dependant, provided on the basis of your employment visa. In case you are not intending to bring your spouse over to be living with you as long as you continue working in Oman, you can let your status remain as single. Your spouse can however come on a visit visa and return on the completion of either 3 months, or 4 months stay with a 1 months extension on completion of the visit visas 3 month validity period. Not any more.

(2)    Travelling outside Oman without the passport is impossible and is absolutely ruled out. And that is exactly the reason why most employers choose to retain their employees passports. By holding the employees passport no employee can hope to ever exit the country without the employers explicit knowledge, and in many cases, even permission !

In case you wish to visit the UAE, or elsewhere, during extended holidays (like Eid / National Day etc), you must request your employer to hand you over your passport. In most companies there are formal requisition letters in place which would require the employee to state the specific reason for the intended travel, when they are going, where they are going to, and by when they would be returning, etc.

Best wishes.

Dear Sumitran,
Once again thank you (second time today). I'm truly sorry to waste your time with my questions but  your expertise seems to me to be priceless.
I have to admit that the passport policy is quite shocking for me, as in all the states I've been to that's highly illegal (except for police and customs nobody can ask you to hand over your ID).
One off-topic question would be: what is the business philosophy there? 
All the posts I've read refer to Oman as being relaxed country  is that equivalent to saying that if you want something done you need to do it yourself and to some extent time is relative (there have been delays in all aspects of my interaction with the future employer: 3 days until initial answer turned into 5 days, interview scheduled at 12.00 AM actually started around 12.30, at most 10 days for the final outcome actually equalled 12 days after tacking initiative, offer due to be handed by the end of previous week is still pending, etc.).
Am I giving to much attention to details, is this a normal way of working or should I take this as an early warning?
Third time today  thank you in advance.
Best of luck.

Dear ais30,
Summarizing your above point, the delays are kinda normal in Oman. I must say in your case, there is not a delay (As 1 or 2 days extensions are minimum and considered as normal).

Oman is indeed a relaxed country and nothing seems to be in hurry. Trust you'd get a point out of it.

Similar questions.can my wife work there once she joins me in muscat

ais30 wrote:

Dear Sumitran,
Once again thank you (second time today). I'm truly sorry to waste your time with my questions but  your expertise seems to me to be priceless.
I have to admit that the passport policy is quite shocking for me, as in all the states I've been to that's highly illegal (except for police and customs nobody can ask you to hand over your ID).
All the posts I've read refer to Oman as being relaxed country  is that equivalent to saying that if you want something done you need to do it yourself and to some extent time is relative (there have been delays in all aspects of my interaction with the future employer: 3 days until initial answer turned into 5 days, interview scheduled at 12.00 AM actually started around 12.30, at most 10 days for the final outcome actually equalled 12 days after tacking initiative, offer due to be handed by the end of previous week is still pending, etc.).
Am I giving to much attention to details, is this a normal way of working or should I take this as an early warning?
Best of luck.

Hi ais30,

Everything takes its own sweet time here in the Sultanate. More so when it involves making decisions of some sort ! And mind you, budget approvals could take forever ! Thats the way things work around here.

Starting the 28th or 29th, the Holy month of Ramadan will begin and everything in the country will slow down to almost a stop. Nothing much will happen until after Ramadan ends, the long Eid holidays are declared, and work will slowly move only after everyone resumes work. So anticipate even longer delays in the coming months. Its pretty normal.

Good luck !

faloranshul wrote:

Similar questions.can my wife work there once she joins me in muscat

Hi faloranshul,

It is quite apparent that you are not reading the numerous other informative posts shared by the many knowledgeable contributors in this forum. If only you will read those many responses to queries very similar to yours you will find the answers that you are so badly looking for.

Well, answering your current query, no, your wife will not be able to join work anywhere in the near future on account of the amended expatriate women's employment rules and regulations. There are exclusions of course. For those exclusions to this rule, read the posts.

Good luck.

I am getting 14000 AED in muscat. and all accommodation and everthing is mine.is it sufficient?

Ankit16 wrote:

I am getting 14000 AED in muscat. and all accommodation and everthing is mine.is it sufficient?

Please specify the currency in Omani Rials (Since your job offer will surely inline with it). We assume AED 14000 will be almost equivalent to OMR 1380 (Or OMR 1400).

If you read numerous (Yes, i repeat, numerous) posts related to the cost of living, you'll surely get all your answers. Trust this would help, nevertheless we're always here to support.

Sumitran wrote:
ais30 wrote:

Dear Sumitran,
Best of luck.

Hi ais30,

Everything takes its own sweet time here in the Sultanate. More so when it involves making decisions of some sort ! And mind you, budget approvals could take forever ! Thats the way things work around here.

Starting the 28th or 29th, the Holy month of Ramadan will begin and everything in the country will slow down to almost a stop. Nothing much will happen until after Ramadan ends, the long Eid holidays are declared, and work will slowly move only after everyone resumes work. So anticipate even longer delays in the coming months. Its pretty normal.

Good luck !

Dear Sumitran,
Dear schaz,

Once again thank you for your inputs. I just got my offer and I do have one curiosity: how long is the working week in Oman?

Mine says 48 hours/5days a week, which I found to be a little curious.

Best regards.

Dear ais30,
Generally, the minimum working hours per week are 45 (9 hours per day - Including 1 hour or 45 minutes for lunch). However, few companies have different policies (which they justify with overtime and subsidential allowances). Hence, you can review accordingly based on your job profile.

schaz wrote:

Dear ais30,
Generally, the minimum working hours per week are 45 (9 hours per day - Including 1 hour or 45 minutes for lunch). However, few companies have different policies (which they justify with overtime and subsidential allowances). Hence, you can review accordingly based on your job profile.

Dear schaz,

Thank you for the answer. I've asked for further details from the employer.

Best.

thanks schaz

What would be the best neighbourhood for a European expat family? I'm looking for one bedroom apartment in an area that has a private hospital and it is easy accessible to convenience shops.

ais30 wrote:

What would be the best neighbourhood for a European expat family? I'm looking for one bedroom apartment in an area that has a private hospital and it is easy accessible to convenience shops.

Hello again ais30,

Most western expatriates live within gated communities such as The Wave, Muscat Hills and a similar few. But also, many live in areas like Al Qurum, Madinat Al Illam, Madinat Qaboos, and Al Ghoubra, to name a few more. In the latter 4 neighbourhoods that I have mentioned, you may not get 1BHK apartment as these will be more independent villas.

Check out some local real estate / property developers' websites for details - Cluttons, Hamptons, Coldwell Banker, etc., for you to get a much better picture

Good luck.

Dear Sumitran,

Once again thank you for the info. I'll start looking for prices.

In the meantime I would like to ask one more question, if time allows you:

What's the weather like there? The 40+ degrees Celsius during the day and above 30 during the night is kind of scaring for me, as I've never experience such a climate. How do people cope with it?

Best of luck.

Hi ais30,

Being a desert nation Oman is indeed a very hot and humid country, more so during the summer months - which could stretch from March up until late September-early-October.

I have seen temperature readings showing even 50°C and 51°C in my mobile application just a couple of weeks back.

Despite this scorching heat here over 4,000,345 (as of April 2nd 2014) people live.

Life goes on.

hi, i am dr. Deepak , what area will be near to Armed Forces Hospital, to live with wife and one kid of 3 yr. need 2 BHK flat.
thanks for help.

Hi,

I need to know a quick guidance within today, about a job acceptance in Muscat, Oman. I will move with my Wife & 5 yr old Daughter. They want me to tell them the expected salary I should negotiate. Please let me know How much salary I should tell them as expectation if company provide me Accomodation & Car facility and also if company doesn't provide me anything. Please let me know in both the cases how much salary I should tell them as my expectation.

Regards.,
Somnath Dey
India

Hi,

I am an IT Manager, and a company in Oman, Muscat asked me for the salary expectation. I will move to Muscat with my wife and 5 yrs old daughter. Please let me know how much amount I should negotiate with them as my salary per month in case of (a) Company will provide Accomodation + Car facility + Salary (b) Company will only provide Salary.

I need the answer little urgent by today as I have to let them know by today.

Regards.,
Somnath Dey

Hi,

I am an IT Manager, and a company in Oman, Muscat asked me for the salary expectation. I will move to Muscat with my wife and 5 yrs old daughter. Please let me know how much amount I should negotiate with them as my salary per month in case of (a) Company will provide Accomodation + Car facility + Salary (b) Company will only provide Salary.

I need the answer little urgent by today as I have to let them know by today.

Regards.,
Somnath Dey

Please mention the total years of experience.

If more than 10 years and the company is having A+ rating in Oman, you should not get less than OMR 2K++ , however if its a small company, then the salary could be lower as well.

Please keep in mind that the above amount has been mentioned based on the assumption of your experience level as 10+ years.

hi,
I am Imtiyaz from Pune. I have a job offer in Muscat as a medical representative. Salary is RO 400+ free accommodation with water & electricity bill + car + fuel + Maintenance. How much will I be able to save out of this RO 400.
How much will be expense for FOOD?

imtiyazbn wrote:

hi,
I am Imtiyaz from Pune. I have a job offer in Muscat as a medical representative. Salary is RO 400+ free accommodation with water & electricity bill + car + fuel + Maintenance. How much will I be able to save out of this RO 400.
How much will be expense for FOOD?

Hi Imtiyaz,

Food expenses alone would cost you about R.O. 50/- per month if you opt for the parcel service from neighbourhood eateries.

Since all expenses are being taken care of you should be able to save about 75% of your income - if you spend very carefully.

I assume your years of working experience would be less than 3-5 years. If you have more number of years of working experience then this salary is too low.

Best of luck.

dear sir

right now i m in india. i have worked in dubai 2007-08 as a purchaser and sales executive in dubai.  i have 15 years experience in sales in india.

i have an offer from oman as a purchaser as salary pack of 500 OMR p.m.  i have two childern who is studying in std. 2 and 6 in india. i want to go with my family (4 members) to muscat. plz tell me 500 OMR is sufficient or (including school fees)or tell me how many OMR is need to survieve for my family in oman ?

choksivimalk wrote:

dear sir

right now i m in india. i have worked in dubai 2007-08 as a purchaser and sales executive in dubai.  i have 15 years experience in sales in india.

i have an offer from oman as a purchaser as salary pack of 500 OMR p.m.  i have two childern who is studying in std. 2 and 6 in india. i want to go with my family (4 members) to muscat. plz tell me 500 OMR is sufficient or (including school fees)or tell me how many OMR is need to survieve for my family in oman ?

Hello choksivimalk,

For an expatriate employee to sponsor his family his minimum salary requirement is R.O. 600/- per month in hand.

Hope that answers your question.

Good luck.

Dear All,

I am working profession 6 year experience person Exports sector.

I have received  an offer letter  of 350 OMR per month in muscat , company provide accommodation in 2 shearing basis in down to their own office premises , one time 30 days leave and one return air expenses mumbai  ,medical allowance and additional 25 omr allowance after 6 month .they donot say about any utility expenses.

Is it good offer being an start in Oman.

what should i negotiate  & ask them

Please guide 
Regards  Amar

AMAR 786 wrote:

Dear All,

I am working profession 6 year experience person Exports sector.

I have received  an offer letter  of 350 OMR per month in muscat , company provide accommodation in 2 shearing basis in down to their own office premises , one time 30 days leave and one return air expenses mumbai  ,medical allowance and additional 25 omr allowance after 6 month .they donot say about any utility expenses.

Is it good offer being an start in Oman.

what should i negotiate  & ask them

Please guide 
Regards  Amar

Hi Amar,

Salary offered to you is rather less.

After the new 2 year waiting period ban is in place, all wannabe expats must be doubly sure as to what they're getting into. Because once you join your fate is sealed. You cannot shift jobs locally and in the event of your going back, you cannot return for another 2 years.

So make sure you strike a good bargain before accepting the offer. In your case, the offer does not look very good.

Double of what has been offered would be okay.

Good luck to you.

Hi All,

Can anyone please advice me some data on following:
1. For a couple what would be monthly grocery cost?
2. Monthly Food cost?
3. If we dine outside in a good restaurant 5 to 6 times in a month, what will be the cost?
4. Monthly electricity, water and gas cost?

I am in the verge of getting a job from Oman Government sector engaged in Oil erection and refining. I belong to Strategic Planning Domain with 20 years of work experience. I would be absorbed in senior management level. What kind of in-hand salary I should ask? I heard Oman Government Sector is good pay master. Please suggest.

Regards
AG

Hi everyone,
I'm newbie in this blog and soon i will be in sohar oman.
Can anyone please tell me how much will i save to my offer?
Basic salary offer is 330 OMR + 220 OMR for accomudation (house rent, utilities, transportation)
How much will be cost for foods?

Thanks in advance,
Dev

hai everyone,
I would like to know how much a mechanical engineer(fresher) is paid? the company i am offered job in, is an EPC company serving the Oil and Gas sector. the company provides bachelor accomodation, transport and medical insurance.

Dear Sumitran,

Great Thanks for all your quick and informative replies, which solves many users doubts cleared.

I just checked one of your reply for an IT Manager position.

I fall into the same category, I hold the Position as IT Head with 10 years experience, I'm looking for some opportunity across Oman(muscat preferably), sorry to ask you in this blog, but found you are the one who responds for most of the queries, so can you you or anyone else in this blog help me pitching some consultants or any source to look for any opportunities across Oman ?

Thanks in advance.
Sen.

Hello selvas14,

Suggest you scan the online appointments pages of the local dailies like the 'Times of Oman', 'Oman Daily Observer', 'Muscat Daily' and the 'Oman Tribune'. You'll get a fair idea of what the employers' requirements are. You can also post your resume in the many job sites, including the one here in Expat.com. Also google for leading I.T. companies in Oman and apply directly on their websites.

Good luck !