Best place to live in Ecuador...

I heard an interview on YouTube on expat kingdom with a woman who lives in Cricita.  She loved it but said the mosquitos are quite bothersome.

Crucita perhaps. Mosquitos are to some extent manageable. Put up screens and possibly a net around the bed if they are persistent pests. But quality of life is definitely better without them. For many moving to Ecuador, who are not restricted to a certain area because of jobs or whatever, then why even deal with mosquitoes if they bother you. I'll take some pollution over persistent mosquitoes any day. Other's may feel otherwise.

How much are you paying there each month?

Quito has no mosquitoes. Also, pollution is low because the mountain winds mostly clear it up. Even in nearby Cumbaya there are very few mosquitoes.
Russell

russelleaton wrote:

Quito... pollution is low because the mountain winds mostly clear it up.

Maybe the mountain winds help clear up the pollution in Quito at night.

But in my experience, especially in Centro Histórico and along heavily traveled arteries such as 10 de Agosto, diesel smell is prevalent in the daytime .. and it is poco probable that any daylight-hours winds are promptly dissolving the black fumes emanating from the rear of many municipal buses.

Also, Quito has had precious little rain the last two months, almost eliminating the possibility that a good shower now and then could wash the pollutants out of the air.

cccmedia in Quito

hello
About Montanita

markaleblanc wrote:

How much are you paying there each month?

For rent, in Cuenca: I pay $750/mth for a very nice, fully furnished 3 bedroom / 2 bathroom apartment. That price includes full utilities and aliquota (building maintenance).

Wow! You can get exactly the same in Barrio el Vergel for $380/mo fully furnished all utilities, WiFi, cable in high end, secure, tranquil neighborhood with house keeping, laundry service available for extra $20.

Hi!
Can you tell me were Barrio el Vergel is in reference to Cuenca?  Also why do you think the big difference in price is?  Thank you in advance.

Is there any kind of work there that you can make a little money at?

markaleblanc wrote:

Is there any kind of work there that you can make a little money at?

English-teaching is a possibility as the locals often can't pull that off.

Spanish-fluent doctors and nurses are being recruited by the government, including medical professionals who left Ecuador and could come back here.

Expats who have been around a while sometimes can make some cash assisting other expats with in-person translating, real estate and tramités from visas to drivers license to medical-coverage issues.

But don't expect to pick up weekend shifts at the local equivalent of Walmart or Costco.  Those jobs go to Spanish-speaking locals under the national policy to give preference to EC natives when such are available and competent to do the work.

cccmedia in Quito

carlmiller1944 wrote:

Wow! You can get exactly the same in Barrio el Vergel for $380/mo fully furnished all utilities, WiFi, cable in high end, secure, tranquil neighborhood with house keeping, laundry service available for extra $20.

Are you living in such a place?

MGLuke wrote:

Hi!
Can you tell me were Barrio el Vergel is in reference to Cuenca?  Also why do you think the big difference in price is?  Thank you in advance.

There are places here in Cuenca that you can get for less. I have seen the odd place for $580 including utilities and aliquota. But that is the lowest apartment price I have seen that includes everything. You can find places that are $450/mth but not including utilities and aliquota. And some apartments lower than that but I wouldn't want to live in them.

If you want a place that is unfurnished you could pay as low as $300/mth but that likely will not include aliquota and for sure not utilities.

I did see one place just recently that was quite large and clean, 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, like this, for $350 including aliquota. I found this place by talking to a building manager. If you get lucky and just happen onto a place through word-of-mouth or by calling a number on a sign you might get an equivalent and possibly even lower.

The reason I am paying $750 is because when I was looking this is the most reasonable I could find and when I first walked into the place it felt like home. Utilities cost roughly $80/mth. So, if you tack that onto an unfurnished place you would expect to pay roughly $380/mth for a house. For an apartment you would have to pay aliquota which can be roughly anywhere from $60 to $100/mth. So, now you are up to roughly $460/mth. But that is unfurnished. If you add furnished in you are up to about another $100/mth. That is $560/mth. So the $750 is a little higher than it could be.

The person that claims $380/mth for a high-end place including everything surprises me. This would be VERY unusual for Cuenca. Maybe in some small villages that might be the case. The part that surprises me is the "high-end" part for that price.

Thanks Mike

how  can one live on $1000 a month. This includes food, internet maybe a 2 bedroom, cable tv?

markaleblanc wrote:

how  can one live on $1000 a month. This includes food, internet maybe a 2 bedroom, cable tv?

If you can find a place to rent for $380 including everything (as stated in another post here), then you should be able to get by on $1000/mth. If you have a family that might be a bit difficult to do when you consider having to cloth your family. If you rent  an unfurnished place then you can easily make it. However, you have to furnish the place. That usually includes having to buy a refrigerator, a gas or electric stove, washer and dryer and any other appliances you might need. That would cost you at least $1600 for used appliances. Then you would need beds, some living room furniture and a dining room table and chairs. As well you would need to buy pots and pans, linen, etc. The cost might be $2000 or more. So if you can afford to buy all of these things then you can keep your rent down. The best bet is to rent a house (not an apartment). That way you don't have to pay aliquota (unless the house is in a gated community).

How to live on $1,000 a month in Ecuador....

Stay healthy.

Split the $300 rent with a roommate.

Take buses and the trolley .. 25 cents a pop, 12 cents for 65-plus.

Recognize that food is a major variable expense...

Buy fruits and vegetables at the Spanish-only mercados.

Cut out beef.

Figure out how to make a variety of pasta dishes.

Limit your restaurant meals mostly to $2.50 almuerzos.

Cut out cigarettes.

Cut out liquor.

Stay out of the hostess bars.

Avoid the NFL Sunday Ticket football package.

Give up keeping up with the Joneses.

Avoid ordering delivery pizza.

Learn more Spanish so you can negotiate better prices.

Don't travel outside Ecuador.

Develop inexpensive hobbies .. meditation .. long walks .. singing.

-- cccmedia in Quito

I would love help in deciding best place for us to live!

I love the beach. I love growing my own food and want fertile soil and finding a place with lots of mature fruit trees is a plus.

I am not a city gal, but would not mind being an hour or less away from a small city.

I would love fresh water on property and a place to swim.

Hate mosquitoes, ha.

Need affordability of under 100k or less for lots of land. We will build a modest place on the land. If it comes with a small modest place to live already, that is a plus.

Your lovely wish list is incompatible.

Beaches are found on coasts. Flies exist everywhere in the world where it is warm, as long as water can be found nearby and there is sufficient oxygen. There are no mosquitoes or flies above 1800 meters. (in fact no rust above 2400 meters!).

Fruit is everywhere. Best fruit and veggies on the planet...cost nothing.

In Ecuador, being on the equator and very mountainous, one chooses the weather they want year long by where they choose to settle.  Cool, even cold. Hot..even torrid. Eternally Spring. Eternally summer. Dry, humid. You have to be here for years to distinguish seasons. After you choose the weather you want, you forget about it. Weather forecasts (especially those from outside the country) are nonsense and a laugh for the locals and expats. Weather is simply not a factor once you choose what you want.

There are plenty of rivers and lakes in the Andes. Gorgeous.

Your suggested price range will buy you land and home....depending one where you want to build. And the places that the crowds choose are often unpleasant. With your list you should do well.

You are a most excellent writer! Thank you so much!

You can buy land good for growing food and a home for under 100k?!?! Even near the coast?

Where is Barrio el Vergel?

Alec Inglis wrote:

. There are no mosquitoes or flies above 1800 meters. .

We have mosquitos in Cuenca.  Just not that many. Those of us who live right by a river experience them more than others.

Maximizedmom77 wrote:

You can buy land good for growing food and a home for under 100k?!?! Even near the coast?

It's certainly possible.

However, if you buy rural land near the coast....

-- You may be distant from good healthcare.

-- Security for Gringos living away from populations could be dicey.

-- The concept of building even a modest place appears to be premature in your case.  Go with the other option you identified regardless of location -- an existing building.  Preferably not a fixer-upper.  Preferably a rental situation for at least one year.

cccmedia

So health care may be more available if living near, say, vilcambaba?

Are there more dangers for expats living in rural areas?

What about connecting and building friendships with the natives? Do they shy away from that? Do many speak any English?

Where are you in Ecuador?

And logically, renting for at least a year is advisable to determine if we really want to invest more time and money, as well a as determine what location best suits us? I am assuming that is what you were referring to when you said rent for at least a year:)

So much to learn!

Maximizedmom77 wrote:

So health care may be more available if living near, say, vilcambaba?...

Where are you in Ecuador?

The answer to your first question above epends where on the coast you would be.  Vilca is 25 or so miles from a larger city, Loja, where healthcare would typically be better than in the Puerto towns at the coast.

I have lived in Quito since 2013, where the healthcare is the best in Ecuador.

cccmedia

Maximizedmom77 wrote:

Are there more dangers for expats living in rural areas?

I recommend against Expats living in isolated areas, for instance on a farm with no immediate neighbors.

Expats living that way are an invitation to malditos whose concerns may be... how much can I get away with .. without being caught? 

In other words, Expats living that way are more vulnerable to robbery and related mayhem -- with less access to assistance by neighbors or the authorities -- than Expats living around populations in towns and cities.

Consider living in Vilca or another town or city .. not on an isolated farm or property .. while you're getting accustomed to new surroundings in Year 1.

cccmedia

Maximizedmom77 wrote:

And logically, renting for at least a year is advisable to determine if we really want to invest more time and money, as well as determine what location best suits us?...

So much to learn!

Re the above question: 

In a word... Yes.

In Year 1 in, say, Vilcabamba .. you'll know if you are adapting well to the climate, the altitude, the language barrier, the culture.

You'll learn about the bureaucracy, your response to potential homesickness, difficulties in getting products you like, dealing with service people who speak no English, whether the balance of Expats and locals suits you, whether there are sufficient opportunities to be around people who speak English, etc.etc.etc.

You'll learn what areas feel safe .. and what location(s) might be ideal for you long-term.

A high percentage of new arrivals in Ecuador only last in EC for two or three years.  So don't overcommit at the start by buying property or taking a place out in the boondocks.

cccmedia

Barrio el Vergel is just south of the Tomebamba roughly bordered by 12 de Abril on the north, Las Herrarias on the east and avenida Solano on the west. I don't know the exact boundaries but it is south of Parque de la Madre. I have lived in el Vergel going on 4 years and loving every minute. If they will let me I will be here for the rest of my life.
I live next to beautiful Parque el Vergel, fresh clean air, no traffic pollution, no noise (except on special holidays when the use of firecrackers is prolific). Completely safe and tranquil.

Carl Miller
Cuenca

Question was answered by Señor carlmiller1994

I can't believe some of posts I am reading here suggesting that my rent is so low because I live in a dump or that a family could not live as cheaply. Let me explain how I came to live in Cuenca and specifically el Vergel.
Prior to formally retiring from work altogether, I spent three years researching the best place to live.
After choosing Cuenca, I stayed in a hostel for almost 90 days while perusing Gringo Post, PlusValia and other publications that advertised real estate. I looked at different locations and options until one day I saw an ad that seemed too good to be true, so I immediately called and the landlady came to pick up myself and a friend to look at her property. The apartment was perfect for a single person like me so I asked what the discount would be for a years rent cash in advance. To make a long story short, I am in my fourth year with no increase in rent for a one bedroom with everything included for $2,000 per annum and my friend rented the three bedroom, two bath for $350 per month all inclusive with a one year commitment.
Everyone can tell you of their personal experiences but let me say I can show you where I live and how I live as proof that due diligence pays big dividends.

Carl Miller
Cuenca

carlmiller1944 wrote:

After choosing Cuenca, I stayed in a hostel for almost 90 days while perusing Gringo Post, PlusValia and other publications that advertised real estate. I looked at different locations and options until one day I saw an ad that seemed too good to be true, so I immediately called and the landlady came to pick up myself and a friend to look at her property. The apartment was perfect for a single person like me so I asked what the discount would be for a years rent cash in advance. To make a long story short, I am in my fourth year with no increase in rent for a one bedroom with everything included for $2,000 per annum.

Carl Miller
Cuenca

Great job, Carl. :top:

That should put to rest the Gringo sentiment of those who want to rent something over the Internet before even arriving in Ecuador.

You got a great deal by paying so far in advance.  However, I wouldn't personally do it if I had the option.

The wrong barking dog moves into the neighborhood .. or crazy all-day-all-night partiers with their boomboxes .. and you'll wish you had an escape route if the landlord can't control the noise.

cccmedia

Carl, I should have been more clear.  I'm not quite there yet, so street directions don't matter much to me yet.  I was really wondering if Barrio de Vergel is in Southeast Cuenca.  I heard apartments were much cheaper in the Southeast, and that not being a Gringo area, safer too.

carlmiller1944 wrote:

I can't believe some of posts I am reading here suggesting that my rent is so low because I live in a dump or that a family could not live as cheaply. Let me explain how I came to live in Cuenca and specifically el Vergel.
Prior to formally retiring from work altogether, I spent three years researching the best place to live.
After choosing Cuenca, I stayed in a hostel for almost 90 days while perusing Gringo Post, PlusValia and other publications that advertised real estate. I looked at different locations and options until one day I saw an ad that seemed too good to be true, so I immediately called and the landlady came to pick up myself and a friend to look at her property. The apartment was perfect for a single person like me so I asked what the discount would be for a years rent cash in advance. To make a long story short, I am in my fourth year with no increase in rent for a one bedroom with everything included for $2,000 per annum and my friend rented the three bedroom, two bath for $350 per month all inclusive with a one year commitment.
Everyone can tell you of their personal experiences but let me say I can show you where I live and how I live as proof that due diligence pays big dividends.

Carl Miller
Cuenca

Well one thing's for sure you can't get something for $2000 a year in nice areas in Quito. I know a couple of people (locals) who pay that much or $150 a month for a room which includes utilities and internet. There are areas that are much cheaper like some areas in Sur or Carapungo where a no too good house can be rented for $250. When your neighbors are refugees from Haiti that's a step down in my book, and I'm not being critical, simply stating what kind residence you'll get here for that sum of money.

OrganicMom,

You are correct. I never thought about it but southeast would be a good description.
By the way, I provide food for underprivileged children as well as health and dental care that is not covered by the government. You might be interested to know that I get organic fruits and vegetables delivered to my door every Monday, more than enough to feed 4 children, the mother and grandmother for a week on less than $20. You can go online and check out the farm at www.granroca.net. Maybe you will have an opportunity to visit in the near future.

Thanks Carl.  I guess you knew I'd be Interested in organic food by my name.  :). I already know about Gran Roca and have been in touch.  He even said he hopes to sell grass fed, organic meats, eggs and dairy at some point!  I did not know they deliver, though!  Or is that just because you're helping underprivileged families?  Very kind of you, by the way.

Rob supports my efforts to provide healthy organic fruits and vegetables to the children. One of his venues for marketing is next to my house so as a courtesy to me he delivers every Monday.
I too am looking forward to the eggs from his free range chickens. I took the children to his farm to see where their food comes from.

Carl
Cuenca

Carl, How far is your apartment from his farm?  Perhaps we can meet when I get there.  I'm hoping to be there by June, because some of my documents won't be good after that.  But, it depends on my getting my house fixed up and sold.

Less than 1 hour without traffic. I solicited the services of the guy who drives for Hogar de la Abuelo in my neighborhood. That way I had flexibility to also visit other places in Yunguilla without the hassle of waiting for a taxi or standing on the highway waiting for a bus.

I completely disagree that cumbaya is one of the better places to live because ironically it reminds me a lot of America. It has two big Malls Juan Valdez coffee shops, traffic and the like.

I really like the northern Coast although it is still very primitive it is authentic Ecuador.  not one sign of America at all. I still don't understand why would people move so far and not live on the coast where the weather is temperate.

ddagencylv wrote:

I still don't understand why would people move so far and not live on the coast where the weather is temperate.

1.  Weather in the highlands is more moderate still than at most lowlands coastal-areas.

2.  Healthcare in Ecuador is better in the big highlands cities.

3.  Fewer mosquitos and water- or swamp-related disease in the highlands.

4.  The big cities offer more of many things, including cultural activies, Expat meetups (especially in Cuenca) and Megamaxi supermarkets.

cccmedia