Thinking of moving to Bordeaux...

After a few years of vacationing nearby for the beaches(we live in Normandy,) we're thinking of Bordeaux as a place to live.  Have lived 30 years in France between the country and Paris but find Bordeaux extremely enchanting;not too big, nor small, and love the old quarter.  Also more affordable than Paris for buying a small apt.

We'll be arriving for a few days stay in March and plan to see what living in Bordeaux is like(compared to a day here or there on vacation.)  Also will be visiting apts.

So if anyone has any advice or ideas, or a friendly state agent to contact(we're an Franco/American Family, and fluent in French) I'd appreaciate the input...

See you in March...rr

Hi
I guess it depends on exactly what you are looking for. Do you want to live in the centre of town or in the suburbs. With the tramway the suburbs are quite a good choice as you still have good access routes into town, but you can escape to the beach at a moments notice. I guess that will also depend on your budget.

hope that helps

olly

Ollyparkhouse,  The old section near the quai...I love the old cobblestone streets, lack of traffic(automobile,) the markets on the quai, place to run, walk our Lab...

Have restored a couple of places including the farm where we presently live so would definately be looking for another project in the way of an apt. between 80-120 sq meters.  Am very excited about the our March visit.

After living in the country now for 15years(and we would probably keep the Normandy place,) would love finding a city place to enjoy French Life and perhaps work a bit.  Really have good vibes with regard to Bordeaux, plus our son will be 13 this year and if we stayed here in Normandy would probably have to go away to school till his Bac.degree...Living in Bordeaux, we could stay together as a family.  Schools look very good...

rr

Hello  Richarderider
How about your visit in March ? Have you been to Bordeaux and found a house  already?

Cricri

Just got back(to Normandy.)  We spent the GREATEST WEEK running around the old quarter between the "quai" and "jardin Publique," looking at apartments...

We did find one, might make an offer but with things going "weird" do the the presidential elections here, it might be better to wait a bit.  We're planning on returning again during the Easter Break!

I have lived in France for almost 30 years and have never been anywhere where the people were so open and charming...The city of Bordeaux must be under a spell or something...

Simply LOVED IT!!!...richard

Forgive me for not responding earlier.  Just saw this attached to the Expat.com....

Answer is "Yes," and we've bought a small three story home in old Bordeaux and go often, getting it in shape for living and/or vacation rental.  Our horse farm in Normandy has been up for sale for over a year but nothing's moving, so we just descend south when we can...

cheers...richard rider

Hello !!!
We have an English Club ! It may interest you ! We offer French lessons too.
Just visit our website !
les-mots-pour-le-dire.org
See you soon !
isabelle

Merci!  je vie en France depuis 30ans...Je dirais que mon Francais passe plutot...mais merci...Peut-etre ma femme(francaise,) pourrait prendre des cours d'anglais...On parle Francais a la maison(qui est toujours en Normandie pour le moment..."

But we'll be down the first two weeks of March to continue work on our place...

Who knows maybe we can meet up...rr

moi....en Normandie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWV9o6vBSb8

cheers...and good luck with you business...rr