Pipes (the smoking type) in Mauritius

Although I have met many a pipe smoker in my life, both in Europe, America and elsewhere, I have never met the Mauritian version to date - although I'm sure that he (I'm guessing) exists!

As far as I remember, Curepipe has something to do with pipes of the smoking kind.

My quest is a rather simple one; Does anyone know where I can find a shop that sells quality pipes and quality tobacco?

For the record, I'd like to point out that I am very much aware of the fact that smoking kills both people, animals, plants, little babies and whatnot, and you can probably loose both your money, your family and sense of wit by smoking, so no need to educate me on that one!

Thank you very much for your help :)

Hi
As far as I know it is illegal to import loose tobacco into Mauritius and that's the reason you can't find any tobacco for roll up cigarettes or pipes.

Aha, I guess that makes sense. Many thanks for your reply.

So the same rules apply for domestically cultivated tobacco?

I don't know about loose tobacco but rolling papers are illegal :nothappy: We were used to roll our own cigarettes and now we have to buy
I haven't seen any shop selling loose tobacco, so it may be illegal indeed.

bepster wrote:

Aha, I guess that makes sense. Many thanks for your reply.

So the same rules apply for domestically cultivated tobacco?

Hi
Actually I think I've got that wrong. You can't import cigarette papers but it appears that you can get a licence to import tobacco for personal use. Go on the web and visit tobaccoboard.intnet.mu
No idea if you can grow your own.

That's interesting. Many thanks for the info and the link. I think I will have to resort to garden tobacco ...

I wonder if pipes are illegal too :/

Pipes are not illegal (as far as I know)

Hi Bepster if you do find out please let me know as I would dearly love to have one as well here - thought it best to leave my twenty or so that i had in SA and start fresh here - in fact i went all over Grand Bay today to ask - if it had been 2 years ago, we would have got it - i cannot find so pse let me know if you find and i will do the same
Thanks
Annie100

So you mean that something changed in the law 2 years ago? In that case I am sure that it must be possible to find some of the old stock. I will try my luck in Rose Hill.

i am not sure but we could buy them almost anywhere then - so if you do get - please let me know as i will catch a bus to get one of those - thanks

Hi guys,

I know where to get the product you are looking for.

Trade mark: J.Jay's

Type :
. King Size Slim
. 32 papers/booklets

Flavors :
. Jamaican Rum
. Chocolate
. Coconut
. Cotton Candy
. Blueberry

In stock actually: only 5 booklets (1/flavors described)

Regards.

hi there,

If im not mistaken, the details you provided are for pipe tobaccos?
if yes, please leave the address and phone numbers.

Many thanks.

Hi tntzf,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please note that this is quite an old thread ( 2012 ).

I hope that the members will reply you. On the other case, you may start a new topic on the Mauritius forum and ask all your questions there. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Hi, Did you ever find out where to get pipe tobacco in Mauritius? I am pipe smoker and ran out of tobacco. Thanks