Question about bugs

Hi I have a question about bugs in Costa Rica.  I have to admit that I am somewhat fearful of bugs.  Spiders, and large bugs.  What I'd like to know is are bugs a problem over there?  By problem I mean do you see them in your homes?  I can accept them outside but I just wouldn't want to be constantly fighting a bug problem if they were coming inside. 

Thank you

Um...this is the tropics. Bugs are everywhere. From ginormous to tiny fast moving ants. Doesn't matter: city or country. Many will take up habitat in your car too.  So if you are asking this question, you will have issues. Did I mention the reptiles too?

Thank you for your reply.  Yes your right it will never work for me or my husband.  He fears snakes I fear bugs.  Oh well I had to ask because it is better to know these things before you make big plans.

Thank you

Most people have a natural fear of bugs and snakes. We did, too, but it has been greatly reduced after living here. You learn how to deal with them, appreciate them, and that they are just trying to get by, too. They don't have it in for you! :P In fact, there is such a wide variety of bugs here that we are almost daily awed by some new creature, their intricate form, their color, their strange behavior. I could do without the mosquitoes, though!:rolleyes: But, up here in the mountains there aren't many.

Casey  -  A Dull Roar - Moving to, Retiring in, and Living with Costa Rica

This has been a concern of mine as well.  I live in the Pacific NW and bugs are not common.  I think, like Casey, I too would be fascinated by many of them, however, the first time I see a spider the size of my hand, I may lose it.  Damn shame, as I am a grown man; a big, grown man.

I prefer a mountain setting.  Anything over 75 is too hot for me.  Glad to hear the "mosquitos as big as choppers" are not everywhere at altitude, but how many snakes and spiders can I expect?  I swear to god,.....LOSE IT!

Bryon,

I haven't yet seen any spiders as big as my hand, but nearly. Twice I think, in 4 years. Here's a picture of one on my blog (brace yourself, and remember it's only a photo).

I've probably seen a dozen snakes in that 4 years also, that I wasn't looking for, everything from terciopelos (nasty) to corals to harmless varieties.

As for the temps, 75 will feel cool here after about a year. It rarely gets over 85 up here on the mountain, however. It's the really humid days that can get to you.

Wait a minute.  Waaait a minute.  Uh, Casey, that spider would get shot, here in my home.  That was a huge spider, and looked faster than Usain Bolt.  Crossbow, .38,.... lighter and can of hairspray,..what'd you get him with?  Seriously, I just looked under my desk and am keeping my feet off the floor.  I'm 6' 210, with a black belt; that is scary.  Thanks for posting and for keeping it real.  I have some other questions but I will post them in the appropriate areas.

Just whacked him with a shoe. Normally, I leave the critters alone unless they are known poisonous or doing some mischief inside the house. That one was poisonous.

Here's a more pleasant blog post that I just put up. :D

Hummingbirds on Holiday

Hi this is Debbie
Re bugs It depends on ehre you live (More large roaches in Florida THAT I know ..I hete bugs and beach areas and other places do have them..NOT where I live just N of Heredia in our MILD NOT COLD climate even Mosquitos rarely pop by
as for your applying for residency ask the newcomers as you know I have been here 21 years and came as many of us did First as a tourist with an automatic 90 day stamp in my Passport you DO NEED A PASSPORT which takes time there so do apply ASAP
Tourists must tae a bus ride to either Pnama or Nicaragua CHEAP then when renter get another 90 day stamp...But I heard that has Changed and needs ONLY a couple of hours out of country in NICA is good enough.. IS THAT CORRECT ANYBODY???
I would also have a police screen from locals where you live with hopefully no criminal record
I do have nice not expensive apartments on my little fruit farm with bus stop at the gate and wireless INTERNET Tranquility and VIEWS email at my NEW address   [email protected]
Cheers
Debbie
RE exit time for visa re-newals..ANYONE PLEASE email me also at my Yahoo adress above THAN YOU so I also know if correct less time needed out of CR ??

A RIDICULOUS ANSWER!!!!!!!!

Um...this is the tropics. Bugs are everywhere. From ginormous to tiny fast moving ants. Doesn't matter: city or country. Many will take up habitat in your car too.  So if you are asking this question, you will have issues. Did I mention the reptiles too
that was thhe quote from a STRANGE person who must live in a shack in the JUNGLE IF they live here at all???
I say...after living here 21 years in HEREDIA HILLS.. where civilization exists.
THIS IS PURE CRAP)!!!!!!!!!!! do you live in the JUNGLE??
or just trying to scare innocent folk away from lovely Costa Rica (There are evil PEOPLE , ot bugs in this world who design computer Viruses THEY think that is clever also)

After living ON A FARM even for 31 years we have seen TWO snakes Green Coffee snakes Harmless..coffee picker toss them aside but we no onger even have coffee bushes now..Also I HATE bugs especially ROACHES and by B&B guests said How rare NOT to see bugs in our house and apartments..So take those DRAMA queen type posts witha grain of salt ...give them their 15 mins of "fAME" and dont be paranoid as I sad I saw ROACHES the size of MICE in Florida and Georgia and Barbados HEre not on out FRESH AIR
Good Luck!!!!!!!!! READ informative guide books or INternet as to WHERE NOT  to live in Costa Rica !