IBS (Al Rayan Holdings School), Fahaheel

Hi all. I may be given an offer to work at IBS and was wondering if anyone had any pictures/info/anything at all about the school that they could tell me.

Also, any idea on teaching salaries in Kuwait...I have read that more reputable schools pay 1200 KWD a month...

Thanks. Chris.

As far as salary, I can just give you my experience.  I was offered a position teaching at 850kd, however, I just found the exact position, at the same school, advertising the position paying 1000kd.  Unfortunately, I did not try to negotiate on my salary and already signed a contract. That rate includes shared housing and a trip home in the summer.

The below school gives some great information on what they offer their teachers, use their page to see what they offer.
ask.edu.kw/about%20us/employment.htm

I hope that helps.

Based on experience and such it would work out as KWD 9835. Not as much as I would have hoped even if it is tax free. Is there much room to negotiate?

I worked at IBS in the previous academic year. I would strongly advise you not to go anywhere near any al Rayan school.  My experience was awful and to make things worse i left home for the summer a thousand pounds short because they decided that they didn't want to pay me as per my contract for the entire summer.

There were many great staff members, but there simply were not adequate facilities.  I was given substandard accomodation and was never provided with a work visa and had to make 'visa runs' every three months at my own cost.

My advice - steer clear of al Rayan and any of their schools!

Thanks teacher1234. I turned the offer down due to so many costs such as document attesting, medical etc before I even went there. They offered me an allowance but it would have cost a fair bit more to still get decent accommodation.

I did try to negotiate but they said no. A big no! I had been in contact with the head who sounded a lovely lady and had dealings with HR who to be fair, was not that strong with her English which made her sound very unprofessional!

Where are you now teacher?

Good choice, I would sincerely advise you stay away from these schools also. They hire some excellent teachers but don't provide the resources for them to do their job properly. It's very saddening to know that the children are being cheated in this way.

Teachers are disposable to them.

Yes, this is one of the crappy schools in Kuwait and Ms. Vera is a chain smoking pain in the you know what but it is one of the cheapest schools in Kuwait. Unfortunately some of us parents can't afford other schools that charge up to 5000 KD per child per year. I have my kids in Kuwait International English school whic I found out later on was one of the Al Rayan schools, I should've known this when I met the principal she was on the same level as the other. My son had 20 days of absences which was BS, I found out they do 2 roll calls per day which is something I've nevr heard of. My daughter lost 2 teachers in the first few months of school. There's a new school American University of Kuwait that recently opened and they charge 5500 KD for grades 4-5, that costs more than my car.

I have found the comments interesting as I am about to Join IBS school in Fahaheel in August to set up the new business studies department.  I have found nothing but very positive support from the headteacher and members of staff I have spoken with.

HR at Al-Ryan have been very helpful having arranged my education authority approval and work permit.

I am looking forward to my time in Kuwait and as always will put the needs of my learners first.  :)

bill

I very rarely post a comment on any website and although many negative comments on various schools in Kuwait may have an element of truth it is important for those of you who are contemplating teaching out here that you consider why you are making this decision.

Most of the schools are fine if you are simply here to sample the expat' lifestyle, boost your finances and/or build your international teaching CV. There are more established schools if career development is your reason for moving out here.

All the schools here have positive and negative aspects; but do be open minded when reading the blogs and reviews. What works for one person may not work for another.

As for IBS, I have only heard positive reviews and if I was considering a post here, would work a year's contract, and then evaluate whether or not it was a good place to work.

With regards to which package is on offer. These will vary,that's just how things are out here, just remember, what you can save is more important than what you can make.

Once you have worked in Kuwait for a year you should have the experience to decide what your next move should be. Don't rush into knee jerk decisions based on subjective comments on a website made by someone who may be very different to you.

Whatever your decision, working in Kuwait, be it for the short or long term, will be a useful and hopefully a fulfilling experience.

kuwait411 wrote:

Yes, this is one of the crappy schools in Kuwait and Ms. Vera is a chain smoking pain in the you know what but it is one of the cheapest schools in Kuwait. Unfortunately some of us parents can't afford other schools that charge up to 5000 KD per child per year. I have my kids in Kuwait International English school whic I found out later on was one of the Al Rayan schools, I should've known this when I met the principal she was on the same level as the other. My son had 20 days of absences which was BS, I found out they do 2 roll calls per day which is something I've nevr heard of. My daughter lost 2 teachers in the first few months of school. There's a new school American University of Kuwait that recently opened and they charge 5500 KD for grades 4-5, that costs more than my car.

Can you please let us readers know what a "crappy school" is and what sound evidence you base this on.

Also, can you give any sound reasons regarding your comments on Ms. Vera. Last I heard, smoking was not a crime.

The majority of international schools in the Middle East have a regular turnover in staff. Some staff are not cut out for teaching in Kuwait, that is not the schools fault.

Crapp schools refer to majority of the schools that act like babysitters, not teachers. Cambridge in Mangaf offered Arabic for foreigners yet the Egyptian teacher was never there so kids ended up sitting in the library. I've been told my son is taking english as a second language in KIES although he is a native English speaker but they don't have English classes? As for Ms. Vera, well everyone knows her story so if you aren't one of them then do some research. I doubt you know the real inner workings of private schools, as a Kuwaiti you would only know what they want to show you and you would only compare these to government schools. Anything else you want to question me on?

Hi Kuwait411

Would like to hear more about your experiences in the international schools and IBS in particular. You can send a private message if you prefer and it will be much appreciated.

kindest regards

bill

I see Kuwait411. For someone with the "inner knowledge" and who makes damning statements; but is unwilling, perhaps unable, to substantiate them; you do a lot doubting and make a lot of false assumptions.

guys, why are u all picking on Kuwait411? last i checked this was a forum where people share their thoughts, and you are attacking her for sharing hers?

those are HER opinions, you are welcome to agree with them, but asking for evidence is just preposterous. no one needs to substantiate their experiences.

you asked a question, she answered, you asked for an explanation, she provided it.

end of story :)

yes AlRayan schools are not the best, unfortunately. Insulting individuals however is a bit underhanded and sneaky.
I heard that the standards in IBS were really improving over the last year or so?????? Better teachers, getting accreditation and that sort of thing.
Personal attacks are not very helpful to be honest.... I want to know the quality of teaching and learning going on.

I have some teacher friends who worked there and they say it is heading in the right direction. Is this true

Underhanded and sneaky? If your friends think Al Rayan schools are heading in the right direction then go and work for them instead of asking for people's opinions only then will you be able to form your own opinion.

Kuwait411
I believe the chain smoking woman you are on about has moved her bags up to a girls' school in Salwa. The weird thing is, on the one hand she advertises herself on Bayt as having a BA Hons degree in Early Childhood Practice from Leeds, while on another website as having a BA Hons degree in Early Childhood Studies from Aberdeen? (A degree which doesn't actually exist in their prospectus.) Then on ANOTHER website, her full name pops up with a Masters degree.
My, my- is it only me who's confused?

Hello A-Hepburn,

Just to inform you that the last post in this thread is from 2013. However, thank you for your contribution on this topic.

Do not hesitate to participate on more recent threads on the Kuwait forum though  :)

Best of luck,
Bhavna

Hi there,

could you advise what area expats live in if taking a job at IBS ad whether shared accommodation is any good?

Hi,

I was wondering if you could give me an idea of what the shared accommodation was like?

Hi, I was wondering if you received any information about the accommodation.  Please post if you have.

Thank you

I suggest everyone to stay clear of these schools. The other day i was sacked without any legitimate reason. They told me i keep leaving the building during school hours without informing anyone. This is completely rubbish... Anyone else been through this?

Hi, sorry to hear this. By any chance did you live in shared accommodation? If yes, could you share on what it was like. Thanks