A practical guide to the Greek system of life (living, working etc)

On (moderated:no free ads) there is loads of information (that I myself have compiled from government documents and translated it into Greek) on topics such as living, working, marrying, citizenship, insurance, education in English etc.   Check the Greece A-Z section: (moderated: no free ads)

The reason I researched and posted all of this information is because I moved to Greece 6 years ago from America.  The advantage for me was that I already knew the language, because I am of Greek descent, but it was still difficult for me to find all of the things I wanted in public services and so on. 

If you have any questions you think I can answer, please ask through this thread or the website.  I wish I had discovered this forum when I moved here!

Hi allthegreeks, have just joined this forum, and would like to know what is involved in becoming self employed in Greece and what paperwork has to be produced for tax etc, any info would be appreciated

Thanks

We have done this and my advice is to find a good accountant. Have someone recommend one if you can, and then tell her/him what it is you want to do. I imagine that laws and procedures are changing all the time so best see someone whose job it is to know as information can get out of date very quickly, and there may be local implications as well.

For example: we set up a shop as self employed people, it didn't take long to get everything done and our accountant did most of the work. But he was able to explain things like local taxes, and what tax benefits there are if you are on a small island, as opposed to what you might pay in a larger one or in a city; that kind of thing.

Just my €2.00 worth!

James

Hi James thanks for your reply, we are not looking at setting up a shop but to sell knick knacks to tourists almost in a street vendor style moving around various beaches and bars, so will check out some other expats on the island to see if they can recommend an accountant

Best Wishes