Buying property in Brunei

Hi,

can a foreigner buy property in Brunei?

If so, is it complicated? What is the process of purchasing a property in Brunei?

Any tips for buying property, such as a check-list of items to verify ?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Christine

A foreigner can only own property by POA,this is because land ownership is a sensitive issue here due to it's small land mass and other political issues.

I would not advise owning by POA,as the title hold is not set in concrete and may be disputable by a wave of a hand from MIB(an abbreviation for Malay nationalism and control of the destiny of the state)

The only option would be by chance that you fall in love and marry a local or more specifically one that holds a red or yellow "I.C" (identification card) pernament and citizen respectively.

Then you may own property that is owned by your spouse... Then again do you really own it? If you decide to have children they may own the property...may... Subject to if you are a male or female marrying the local!

As you can see it gets precious who gets to own property here.one can sense Brunei is pro national to one certain ethnicity,of the various ethnics tribes.That I will not get into.

So at the end of the day it's not a good deal for foreigners to hold property as a 1st generation owner.

I can see why Brunei is holding this path of strategy and is sympathetic to it's survival for a small new nation still under a police state and a rebellion not long ago.

On a good note migrants who have decided to settle here and establish themselves have become affluent simply by living a prugal existence and still enjoy a rewarding life in a state of peace and security without owning property under their name.

Hi oiltownblues and thanks for your contribution!;)

Harmonie.

Just an update the brunei govt has converted all land that was previously under POA into  60 yr leases(with no consultation to  the public or the lawers)Just last october

This has come as a shock to all concerned that have property or under development.but a big jackpot to previous land owners...their children down the track.

:top: