Moving to Uruguay In September

Hi My name is Louisa.  I am from the UK, have been living in Cape Town, South Africa for the past 6 years and I move to Montevideo, Uruguay in September.  I am moving to be with my husband who is from Uruguay....hoping to teach english - has anyone any advice?

hello Im in milwaukee

Hi Rosa
Thanks for the reply.  I was in Uruguay in January for 4 weeks.  Spent most of it in Montevideo and Santa Lucia camping.  Was beautiful...have not been to Punta del Este...how far away is that from the capital?  Sorry my geaography of Uruguay very limited at the mo!

I am hoping to teach english..do you know of any institutions in and around the capital?

Louisa

Hi Louisa,
There are various institutes in Montevideo that will gladly hire you, although of course at a small fraction of the wages you may know from the U.K. or even S.A. Bear that in mind so you donŽt get frustrated upon arrival.

And as the "de facto ambassador" to Punta del Este, yes, I have to concur with Rosa, it is gorgeous, about 120 kms and a world away from Montevideo.

Thanks for the...makes me feel better as need to get a job...my spanish is coming along so hopfully this will also help me in securing a post.  Know the wages will not be so good but as long as enough to live by not a prob.

Thanks louisa

Hi Louisa,
You may be surprised that sometimes the wages offered are NOT enough to live on. That is why so many young people live with their families well in to their twenties and even longer...it can be challenging to stand on your own two feet here without family support or foreign income. One institute that offers good wages (and even accommodation!) is the Guildford Institute.

Here's a discussion with lots of helpful links: board.totaluruguay.com/Montevideo/Affordable_Rentals_and_Teaching_Jobs

Greetings to all.  In regards to Internet connections, what is offered in Punta del Este? 

Thanks in advance!