Reloacting to Tel Aviv, driver's license and studio

Hi -

I'm from the US but spent the previous six years in China and have been in Romania for the past 16 months. But next month-- I'm jumping ship to Tel Aviv and I am VERY excited to be doing so:)

I'll be in town for about a month, then to the US for a wedding and housekeeping details and then back to my new home.

I've been driving a long time but my license expired this past year. Will I really need to take the written exam? Is there a way to get this waived? If I have to take the test will a month be enough time to go through the driver's license process? I would like to be able to rent a car when I return to the States.

Any studio recommendations? I'll be on a tight budget for the month. Anyway, since I'll be traveling throughout the country, I won't actually be there so much. But I would like a base for the month -- hopefully near the center. Any recommendation? Also, are there other forums I should be looking at?

Looking forward to making new friends!

Hi, I have a nice room to rent in my appartment. The room is furnished with a private bathroom. It's situated in Bat Yam,just on the border with Yaffo. There is also a private parking possibility in the buiding.It's about 15 min by bus from the center of tel Aviv.  There is wifi, towels and linen. Also including cleaning. The buiding is new and the appartment very nice in a quiet street. You will be very close to the shops and also to the beach and promenade.

I'll be very happy to help you if you need some information in the country.
Do you have an israeli driving licence?
Morianne

Wow! My first Israeli friend:) That would be great. How close are you to downtown Tel Aviv? Let's talk more about this.

I have an expired license from California and an expired Chinese drivers license. This is my first trip to Israel so I don't yet have, but would like to acquire, an Israeli license. The reason I would like to resolve this "quick and easy" is because I am returning to the US for a wedding and I would like to be able to rent a car upon my return.

The conversion process is both expensive and not quick. I haven't done it myself, but here's a guide:
http://www.nbn.org.il/aliyahpedia/gover … cense.html
(it's for people making aliyah, but I'd imagine the process is relatively similar). Since your license is expired, you may have to start from scratch, but I don't know.

For housing, you can check Jango.net (which is all in English, but tends to be more expensive), or homeless.co.il and yad2.co.il(Hebrew). The housing market here is tight and pricey, especially in Tel Aviv. Best of luck!

(Moderated: Off topic)