Hey ladies, good hairdresser/salon recommendation?

Hi,

I've been living in Budapest for a year now, but haven't been able to find a good salon/hairdresser here. If any of you could recommend me a good, english speaking hairdresser for me, that would be excellent. Preferably something that isn't too expensive. I know there's the like of Toni & Guy, but for me that's expensive.
I'm only interested in styling or haircuts, nothing fancy.

Thanks.

I just moved here and I haven't needed a haircut yet, but I got a flyer from a place near the basilica. The sign out the front says "we speak English!"
The details are:
"Erily Salon"
Zrinyi u. 12., udvar.
V district
phone 06 1 312 7024

I was going to try it out when I need a trim.

Cut and blow dry priced from 5100 ft. - 8000 ft.

Good luck!

Edit: Website is erily.hu & on Facebook: facebook.com/erilyfodraszat

This is the bane of my life!!!!!  I have very long blonde hair that needs careful highlighting.  I find the A list salon (google it) is very affordable and does a good job. Cut and colour - which takes 3 hours for my hair - is just over 10,000ft.  They are very nice, particularly the Pest salon.  I also tried the Horror Barbie Salon I know a lot of ex pats use, and although the color was excellent, the cut was poor and in total it was twice the price of A list.

Hope that helps!

How do Hungarians afford those prices? A friend was telling me his girlfriend takes home about 40,000 Ft/month.

Hollycat wrote:

I find the A list salon (google it) is very affordable and does a good job. Cut and colour - which takes 3 hours for my hair - is just over 10,000ft.  They are very nice, particularly the Pest salon.

Hope that helps!

Good to know - I have long hair too, it takes ages to colour. I resigned myself to not colouring it whilst living here but already my greys are peeking through!
I read about the A-List Salon somewhere else - it came highly recommended for a keratin hair-straightening thing too.

fidobsa wrote:

How do Hungarians afford those prices? A friend was telling me his girlfriend takes home about 40,000 Ft/month.

No idea how they do, but people seem to be so well-dressed and well-groomed here. Many women sport coloured hair and manicured nails. Perhaps they find cheaper salons...?

Actually I was just looking up average saleries for Hungary and they are a lot higher than I thought:
http://www.averagesalarysurvey.com/arti … 02724.aspx

Well, it's complicated and tragic, but the haircut-thread summary is gigantic income disparity and meaningless statistics due to tax evasion:
There are more luxury cars on the roads than people in the highest tax bracket.

Stephanie99 wrote:

I just moved here and I haven't needed a haircut yet, but I got a flyer from a place near the basilica. The sign out the front says "we speak English!"
The details are:
"Erily Salon"
Zrinyi u. 12., udvar.
V district
phone 06 1 312 7024

Just wanted to ask - is this only for women? Need to know if this salon for men.

gosubmit wrote:
Stephanie99 wrote:

The details are:
"Erily Salon"
Zrinyi u. 12., udvar.
V district
phone 06 1 312 7024

Just wanted to ask - is this only for women? Need to know if this salon for men.

I don't know, why don't you give them a call and ask? :)

I've been to the A List in Buda, and although the color and cut were adequate, I was a little turned off by the assembly line atmosphere. I have shoulder length hair and it cost me about 15,000 forint.

But I thought I'd give the Pest salon a chance, so I had a haircut there this week. I hate to be a downer, but now my hair is really messed up. I asked for something simple - just trim the ends and layers.  Now I have very visible "chunks" of layers on one side of my head and at different points on my hair.  Or maybe this is a new style?  Haha.  He charged me 5800...the price for a "master" hairdresser. They've got three "mastery" levels there, and three different prices.

LesNomades wrote:

I've been to the A List in Buda, and although the color and cut were adequate, I was a little turned off by the assembly line atmosphere. I have shoulder length hair and it cost me about 15,000 forint.

But I thought I'd give the Pest salon a chance, so I had a haircut there this week. I hate to be a downer, but now my hair is really messed up. I asked for something simple - just trim the ends and layers.  Now I have very visible "chunks" of layers on one side of my head and at different points on my hair.  Or maybe this is a new style?  Haha.  He charged me 5800...the price for a "master" hairdresser. They've got three "mastery" levels there, and three different prices.

After living in Eastern Europefor 5 years, I'm used to having bad hair, so I can laugh this off. The search continues!

That's almost enough for me to not have my hair cut or coloured here. My curly hair is difficult enough as it is without a bad cut!!

Hi there,
I have tried at least 6 places in Budapest and always seem to go back to Zsidro Salon on Andrassy. It costs around Hur 7,000 for a haircut (medium length hair) and the difference between the middle level stylist and the top level is only Huf 500 (zsidro.net/andrassy-uti-szalon-arlista/).
One time after a horrible haircut and very poor customer service at Horror Barbie place, I went to Zsidro the next day to have the haircut fixed.

Thank you for the info, Dzulia!  I will go there ASAP, because I'm really embarrassed to leave the house. Do you remember the name of the person who fixed your hair?

Dear LesNomades,

There were two male stylists who were pretty good for my needs (always either top level stylist or mid-level) but I have a pretty straight-forward chin length bob haircut. And perhaps slightly conservative too. One of the guys was Laci (Laszlo) and the other I can't remember. They are not too talkative in English but always understood what I needed, especially when I showed up with an emergency after a too creative asymmetric bad cut done at the barbie horror place.
If you are looking for a more avant-garde place, I might have a recommendation as well but Zsidro is for me a safe place to go.

Thanks, Dzulia. That's all I want right now - someplace simply trustworthy. I don't care if it's more expensive, or if the hairdresser is talkative or not. I'm not sure they will be able to fix it totally without shaving it all off, but maybe they can make it less noticeable. I had a simple layered cut before this.

I will definitely never go to Horror Barbie (you are the 2nd person on this forum who's had a bad cut from them). Or to A List ever again, even to someone else.  It's inexcusable to have a hairdresser who does not have basic skills on their staff, especially one that's supposed to be at the master level.

hey

there are haidressers Erzsébet bridge any Szabadság brigde between!

Hi,

Sorry to hear people have had bad experiences at Horror Barbie. That's where I, my boyfriend, and my mum have had great cuts and colour. It might depend on who your specific hairdresser is. We've always asked for a girl called Loli. She speaks great English, and takes enormous care and pride in her work.

Between the three of us, we've had blond highlights, full colour, long hair cuts, short hair cuts, and my man's hair is super curly and difficult. We've all been happy with everything Loli has done to us.

For a cut, full head of highlights, and blowdry, I paid 15,000ft.

Anyhoo, here are the details:

1065 Budapest, Nagymező utca 8
Phone: 413-1440
Open: Mon.-Fri., 10-21; Sat., 12-16
Transport: M1, Opera

http://www.caboodle.hu/nc/directories/c … d653e27af6

Forgot to mention, I think a cut by itself is around 5,000ft.

Margle wrote:

Hi,

Sorry to hear people have had bad experiences at Horror Barbie. That's where I, my boyfriend, and my mum have had great cuts and colour. It might depend on who your specific hairdresser is. We've always asked for a girl called Loli. She speaks great English, and takes enormous care and pride in her work.

Between the three of us, we've had blond highlights, full colour, long hair cuts, short hair cuts, and my man's hair is super curly and difficult. We've all been happy with everything Loli has done to us.

For a cut, full head of highlights, and blowdry, I paid 15,000ft.

Anyhoo, here are the details:

1065 Budapest, Nagymező utca 8
Phone: 413-1440
Open: Mon.-Fri., 10-21; Sat., 12-16
Transport: M1, Opera

http://www.caboodle.hu/nc/directories/c … d653e27af6

Knowing the name of a stylist is very important!!

Any men had good haircuts in Budapest? My partner needs a trim but doesn't think his Hungarian is good enough to explain his needs!

Said boyfriend braved the Bio Hair Salon (that chain with the green signage) and hated it, so went to another salon and explained to the receptionist what he wanted in English, then it was translated into Hungarian and he managed to contribute a little in Hungarian also. He was really happy with it - more expensive but a good cut for his slightly longer style. They took their time and he said the head massage and hair wash was great!
Anyway, we are 99.9% sure it was this one hairclub.hu

Another recommendation - I went to Hair Code yesterday and I'm very happy with it.
They stock the Wella colours that my stylist at home uses, and I had the details with me. The stylist here worked out what I wanted (she spoke pretty good English and got some feedback from her co-worker, Niki, and they both talked me through my options) My hair is thick, curly and frizzy, long and coloured. I'm fussy!

The result is great. Ibolya (the stylist) was thorough, she asked questions and she did a great job.

It cost a bit (though less than at home) The cut, colour (2 colours all the way through long thick hair) and blowdry was 17340HUF.

The details are:

Hair Code
H-1065 Budapest VI. Révay u. 1. .
E-mail: [email protected]

Phone:    
Central number:    
+ 36 30 725 0023

Hair stylist    
Ibolya Lengyel:
+ 36 70 702 4888

Opening hours:

Monday     11 - 20
Tuesday - Friday 9 - 20
Saturday     9 - 14
Sunday     closed

Closest Metro would be Opera I think. I walked from Oktogon.

I think the other woman, Niki (very short hair) would also be good. She helped work out what I wanted and how they might achieve that (given how faded my colour was) and I watched her cut a young guy's hair meticulously, then an older woman came in and had foils. Niki was talking her through what colours would suit her etc.

There was a guy working who didn't speak much English, but the day I made the appointment (I walked in off the street) there was a young tall guy with fair hair who worked out an appointment time with me and understood what I wanted.

Ibolya is quite young but very focused and meticulous. I will definitely go back!

Hope this helps some of you. I was nervous beforehand (how vain!) but it worked out well.

Heyy!

Firstly i wanna say just sorry about my English, I know my grammar isn't correct every time:)

The most important text to Margle: Köszönöm szépen your recommend! It was really good to read it! I have never heard about this page till today when I met with a sweet Lady from Australia too and she said she's really interest about me because of this blog...so she gave me a chance to get a haircut from me because of YOUR MESSAGE :)

To tell the truth it was so bad to saw the other negative opinion about HorrorBarbie saloon..Perhaps it's happened and i'm so sorry but it's possible sometimes the results depends on how lucky the clients! I know it's so bad if anything depend on the lucky but it's fact: more and more hairdresser working there with sometimes different quality :/ I don't know who made that work I'm so sorry that anybody wasn't satisfied with that work but please don't write a negative recommend about the all saloon...thanks for your understanding!

Have a nice days to everybody !

Hey Everybody,

Couple of thoughts on where to get a haircut here in Budapest. I am from here and am a hairstylist.
A List Buda - would not recommend it. I know they have good relationship with the embassy, the american school etc... but quality is not the greatest, and their english is really poor. They do use great products though.

Zsidro, Tony and Guy, Erily are all great, professional but extremely overpriced.
I saw a question how do Hungarians afford these haircuts? They don't, except for upper class. These salons do have extensive ex pat clientele though.

Regarding the comment living in Eastern Europe eqals bad hair, not true. Lack of english knowledge among hairdressers,  absolutely you are right about that.

Anyway if you need a good haircut (both genders ) and need someone who speaks english fluently,  do contact me. I also speak fluent German.

I went to A-List for the keratin treatment... it wasn't bad, but it wasn't brilliant.

Sounds about right, haven't seen them doing it, but if you are not blown away buy it, then you should check out another place.

Although I always recommend clients to keep their curls unless it is extremely frizzy and unmanagable or has no shine to it.
I myself have curly hair, not to mention it is a lot of fun for a hairdresser to work with naturally curly hair :)
Unfortunaly I don't do keratin treatments yet, but should be possible in a couple of month. I'll post it here, in case anyone would like to try it.

Dear Ladies!

I just found this forum accidentally :)
If you need an English speaking haidresser, you can contact me.
I am at home with my baby, so I do not work in a beauty salon right now, but I can go to your place if you need a cut, colour or highlights :)

Hey everyone,
I am an Irish hairstylist and currently looking for a hairdressing job in Budapest at the moment, my boyfriend is working there at the moment and eventually I'm moving over too:)  I am fully trained in the latest trends cut and colour:) hopefully everything works out and I will be over soon!! :)

Bumping this up - my boyfriend and I both see Kristian at Hair Club and Bazaar near Nagymezo Ut, near Oktogon. Really good! He chopped all my long hair off into pretty much exactly the short cut I wanted. Cost about 6000 forint. Bargain! Will definitely go back for one more trim before we go home to Australia.

Please, please can anyone give me a suggestion of a hairdresser who is able to do blond high lights and make it look natural? I lived in BP for more than 5 years and the only place I dear go to is Zsidro MOM Park but even there I sometimes must ask them to redo it. The big minus with Zsidro is however the prices so if anyone knows a decent place that do a cut and high light for less than 20k please let me know!

Good news ladies! After 5 years of disappointment I finally found someone who can make my hair the way I want it (meaning, not making me look like a zebra) and who's prices aren't near those at Zsidro (which is where I usually go, to be on the safe side after too many bad haircuts at other places).

The place is really small and not fancy at all, there are one or two hairdressers cramped in with a manicurist, a masseuse and a cosmetician but don't get off put off the look of the place. They are very friendly (all though the hair dresser does not speak English but there was no problem for me to explain what I wanted). I can't say much about her the cut because I just had a simple fresh up of the edges but the coloring was very well done. I have VERY long hair and it takes hours to do highlights on me. The result came out beautifully (meaning; natural looking) and I paid 6600 ft which is very reasonable considering the amount of time she had to spend on my hair (in comparison I usually pay 23000 ft at Zsidro and similar places and about 10-12000 at smaller places like this)!

The place is called Mester Szépségszalon and is just off Mester utca on Viola utca 4 (there is another place almost opposite it on Viola utca but this place is the one closest to Mester utca).

The name of the hairdreser is Gabi.

This is their website: http://www.mesterszalon.blogspot.com/

Thank you for sharing this, I was looking for a good yet affordable hair dresser, I went to Hajas in April, they gave me the color I wanted but to do so they bleached all my hair, so it was so damaged and I payed...40,000, can u imagine!! Yesterday I have been to A list, I had a good hair cut exactly as I wanted it, and I payed 6700, but they said the coloring would be around 12000.

The best, professional and english well speaking hair dresser for woman and man too.
Im very exigent and i will never change him for other hairdresser!
Budaors
Name Gabor
phone 0036305550000.
Have a nice evening.
Iveta

I am so glad I stumble on this thread in the Forum. I felt sad that I won't be able to take my hair dressers in Harare with me but you guys seem to have suss out all the salons in Budapest already. Thank you !!!

An update on my previous post recommending Lolli who used to work at Horror Barbie Salon. I know some people had difficulty getting an appointment with her, and weren't so happy with other hairdressers at Horror Barbie. My apologies, I should have been more clear that I couldn't vouch for anyone but the amazing Lolli.

So ... drumroll please ... she's now left and opened her own salon! This is awesome news! The salon has just opened up and it's totally adorable. It's very central, just behind St Stephen's Basilica.

Here are the details:

LolliLand
Révay köz 2, Budapest
+36 30 232 8019
Metro stop is either Bajcsy-Zsilinszky on the Yellow M1, or Arany János on the Blue M3

Facebook: facebook.com/pages/Lolliland/124037164472881
Google map: goo.gl/maps/dk3YD

Lolli is a fantastic hairdresser. Her English is great, and she'll really sit with you and explore exactly what you want done. She's been doing my hair for a couple of years: fine blond natural looking highlights, and a whole bunch of varying layered cuts. She's also done heaps of my friends and everyone has been happy: thick curly hair, dye jobs for grey, men's haircuts, all of 'em.

Just wanted to let you know I had a good experience with Hair Salon, it is behind the Basilica, my hair dresser is Boti, he is  good and speaks enough English to undrestand what you need. To me price is right because I am always happy with the result.
But now I need the Keratin, does anyone knows about a good place? They don't have it at Hair Salón and I am looking for a good place to go.

Hello,
I am a expat from the USA. I currently live in Budapest and I am a licensed cosmetologist/barber. I am looking for someone to cut my hair, possibly a few low lights to decrease the maintenance on the blonde because naturally i am a level 6-7. I don't like going to the salon to have my hair cut or colored because its too overpriced for me and I don't like some of the tricks they pull. Last salon visit I had the lady didn't fill my hair and over time it faded to a ugly green color because she didn't want to take the time to do a 2 process color. I don't know if anyone would be interested in doing trade work. Or if i could just visit someone for cheap but I don't want to be charged a ridiculous amount for a hair cut. Let me know if you are interested. My name is Alora. My e-mail is [email protected]
Thanks!

Hi Sarah? Did you finally make it to Budaest?

I have been everywhere for a haircut in Budapest.
Tried Zsidro about 10 years back, not the best cut and at the time the place was no remodeled and it was too dirty for the price they charged.
Went to Toni & Guy years back, had a young stylist named Eva do my hair. It was ok but my husband who is a Hungarian was so put off by the snotty staff that he refused to have me spend any money there again.
Tried some tiny out of the way local shops that were recommended by my fitness instructor who is Hungarian. Cut worked out great on her but the guy gave me a choppy messy cut with bangs that were so short I looked 10 years older and insane walking out of there, thank God I had a hat with me, I put it on right away and waited months for the mess to grow out.
Had a alright haircutter at Hajos Salon on Nador Utca. her name slips my mind,it's been several years since I was there.
Problem there was they also have a bit of an attitude, not as bad as Toni & Guy but still a bit snooby.
My stylist was on vacation so often that I often was pawned off on lower level stylists with the choice of waiting weeks for her return or getting my hair cut.
One man literally was cutting my hair for close to 90 mins. I was freaking out wanting to get out of the chair.
The cut was really nice though, next visit he gave me an insane bob and shaved the back of my hair so close that I had razor burn.
I noticed in later appointments with another stylist at Hajos that that same man was giving everyone in his chair the same super short back shaved bob, no matter their age or hair type.For those prices I do not like to look like someone's experiment.
Tired another local stylist that was recommended to me from the professional beauty supply house in the 6th district.
Had 4 cuts from her but the last 2 cuts were so off on one side that I had to recut all the tags afterwards at home myself.
I was getting so frustrated with salons and stylists here that I waited for 6 months to get my nerve up again to go under the shears.
I happened to find a salon that advertised in the Where magazine called," Schlitt" in the 5th district.
I went in yesterday to see Richard the young and upcoming owner of the salon.
I am very pleased with my cut.
The salon is not a fussy place, the young staff seems very professional.
They speak some broken English, enough to get your message across at least.
The prices were in the medium range but the cut is very good.
I didn't have to wait weeks or days to get in either.
I am a licensed cosmetologist in the USA( Calif. NM, Hawaii, NV are where I worked). I have been on both sides of the chair and behind the sink .I think I know some of what to look for and what to expect in the industry.
I have fine, thin hair and am a senior citizen who has nothing to gain by bad mouthing anyone's skills.
I would recommend Schlitt Hair Salon.
At least this first try went well.
Cost was around 5,000 forint for a wash cut and blow dry with Richard.
Short hair price.
Their # is: 06-70-397-9799
Budapest,V. ker.Galamb u.7

I noticed a great haircut on the assistant of one of my doctors. She got it done at Erily Salon. If Richard doesn't work out with time, I will check Erily out.