Permanent Residency 13a, Does it Affect your Social Security Checks?

If you get your permanent residency 13a does it affect your ss checks. That is if you become Dual Citizen or permanent resident, can the US take away your social security check?

Also if you are permanent resident can you get a Filipino Passport?

CharlesHarman wrote:

If you get your permanent residency 13a does it affect your ss checks. That is if you become Dual Citizen or permanent resident, can the US take away your social security check?

It will not affect your social security checks even if you are a permanent resident. It's yours and you earned it and they can't take away from you.

To get a Philippine passport you have to be a permanent resident for 5 years and after that you can apply for filipino citizenship.

Leem817

to get permanent residency is a big ?. because if you go out and in of the country you will pay big money.balik bayan is good. you can apply also a green card.
about social security check. us cannot take it away to anybody.
permanent residency? you can get apply for postal id) or postal addres.,  easely you can recieve all your papers from us at your door.
about passport? as i know noway to get pilipino passport here. i live here for 9 years. you have to be born as a pilipino.

Flying Fox: I plan to stay here permanently not interested in returning to the US. I was also told by someone else that if you have your Permanent Residency for 5 years you can apply for a Philippine Passport, however this is not that important, I still have my US passport.

ok! i live here in the phillipines for long time 9 years already searching the way how to get phillipine passport., but its ok i have dual passport i have american and german passport. hoping also to get phillipine passport

Becoming a Filipino citizen is very expensive ....

Maybe to a Filipino but to an American it's not. If you do it yourself the price is around 11,000 Pesos or $250. If you have someone do it for you the rate is 25,000 or $568 US Dollars. Again might be high for a Filipino. When I got my wife's visa processing done before she went to American that was just under $500.

The 13A Residency has no effect on your Social Security check or your pension in spite of what some will tell you. :cool:

CharlesHarman wrote:

Flying Fox: I plan to stay here permanently not interested in returning to the US. I was also told by someone else that if you have your Permanent Residency for 5 years you can apply for a Philippine Passport, however this is not that important, I still have my US passport.

Charles, I'm with you. I've been here 10 years now and have no intention of going back to the rat race again. I miss fishing in the high mountains of Southern Utah in the summer and miss the flights between here and the US but nothing more.

I can see no justifiable need or use of having a Philippine passport. Just another expense for an ID. I have a local drivers license and feel that is enough other than keeping my US passport current.