Sihanoukville

Hi,

My name is Patrick I'm from Austria and live in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

I have a online architecture business and live on approx. $ 1000 a month.

My thought is if I contact someone who has experience in Sihanoukville,

it could safe me a lot of trouble and money.

I would like to move there and to rent a house or apartment –

with a real good internet connection.

I ask you plainly – do you know something to rent for around $ 200 – 300 ?

How's the internet working ?

How's is life and medical care ?

Most important how is food ?

Is it safe and would you recommend to buy a bike or a car ?

Thank you for reading,

hope you find time to reply.

Kind regards

Patrick

Patrick-Austria wrote:

Hi,

My name is Patrick I'm from Austria and live in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

I have a online architecture business and live on approx. $ 1000 a month.

My thought is if I contact someone who has experience in Sihanoukville,

it could safe me a lot of trouble and money.

I would like to move there and to rent a house or apartment –

with a real good internet connection.

I ask you plainly – do you know something to rent for around $ 200 – 300 ?

How's the internet working ?

How's is life and medical care ?

Most important how is food ?

Is it safe and would you recommend to buy a bike or a car ?

Thank you for reading,

hope you find time to reply.

Kind regards

Patrick

Whilst waiting for others to get back to you please read through the posts in the forum categories list on the right hand side of this page.
For rents check out the housing section at the top of this page.

I'm 67, have lived here for over 8 years and feel quite happy and secure. There are still plenty of places for rent for under $300 a month and more apartment buildings are going up all the time. Some people complain about the internet, but I don't know why. I work online and don't have a problem. On the rare occasion, I'll lose my fibre optic connection for a few hours, but I have a 3G stick as back-up. I eat out every night - everything from cheap meals for around $2.50 to very good Italian, Mexican, Japanese, Thai, Indian or whatever else you want for $5-$10. Medical care is a little iffier, but I'm still alive. It's a lot safer than some people make it out to be. Just be a little wary in touristy areas and late at night. There are pickpockets and the worst elements do their dirty work after midnight. I used to ride my bicycle everywhere, but now have a bad knee, so have to use my 125cc motorbike. Best advice I can give is give it a try. You'll either like it or not.

Hi Rob,
thank you for your answer ;-)
I do not believe in the www about people's
experiences, I understand that bad things
happen but only a few post happy or normal events.
So it happens that most of the cities seem more worse than they actually are, I live in Chiang Mai
for 4 years and never had a situation.
If you have any suggestions about finding a nice   apartment or something else you could
share of your 8 years experience it would be
of great help.
Thank you again and have a great time

Sorry. Can't help you about renting. I built a house here.

All you said just sounds scary to me. Why do people look for a little paradise and then exploit it to make it like every other place. Personally I don 't look at this as progress.

Try google map. If that doesn't work just think about it -- the beach, no fish there

I would suggest you not bring them.

There's a Sihanoukville Master Plan. Because it's a port city and has a lot of beaches, the Cambodian government wants it to become the 2nd largest city in the country. They've divided it up into industrial, commerce, residential and tourist zones. It's already getting a little too crowded for my taste, but we have two children who need to go to school and there are some decent schools here now. Western expats make up a small fraction of the population and Western tourists are in the minority, too. The majority of tourists are Cambodians who come here for their holidays.

Do you have any idea of a body count on the new police general's war on the Russian mob?

They caught some of the Turkish guys involved and one wealthy and influential Russian was arrested for fraud and not granted bail. There's talk of an extradition treaty with Russia, which would get rid of some of Russians who came here to escape prosecution in Russia.

I know they popped the guy who owned the Snake house. His brother paid 40,000 thousand to be a police captain but that won't help him with the new police general. I've seen road blocks and check points but when you know where their businesses that launders money are that seems pretty pointless. If the mob runs true to from there will be a body count and while they will lose it could get ugly. Thanks for the feedback and happy New Year mate.

Hi can somebody recommend good motorbike mechanic for Yamaha scooter thankyou