Overcharging taxi drivers in Al Khobar

I went to a photoshoot last week with one my regular client at the south corniche, and its only less than 10 minutes drive from my place to the location. I normally give 10 riyals because its really close and I live at street 22 Al Shamalia and the place is right after Sofitel south corniche which is almost opposite of Lulu Hypermarket but its at the corniche part. So, I took a taxi and as usual I told the where I was going and ofcourse the most important is to close the deal on how much you will give them. The taxi driver agreed with the 10 riyals and then I hopped in the cab. When we reached Sofitel I pointed him the place where he can drop me and its at the other side of the road, the taxi said he will stop at the right side and that I shoud cross the road to get to the other side!!!! I freaked out and told him to make a u-turn, he said there was no u-turn slot. I said there is about 20 meters from where he wanted to stop because I go to that place all the time. So, he drove and made a u-turn and it was obvious that he was a bit angry. He's been telling that I should pay 15 riyals because of bla bla bla bla! I told him to get inside the place and he shook his head and told me that the next time he sees me waiting for a taxi, he will not stop at me. So I said, the next time I see him I will not stop him. And he was saying so many things and I freaked out again... I told him to stop because I we were already at the place I paid him, went down grabbed my stuff and banged his door really strong. I was really pissed and he didnt left and said so many things and telling some cursing words... So I went back to him and invited him to go out for a fight.. :):):) I was never like that, but this guy really pissses me off... And there are lots of taxi drivers like him who are too wise to overcharge passengers, and most passengers dont say no even if they know that its too much. I really hate it when people do that to me, I try to be nice to people but if I will encounter a pirate like some these taxi drivers I always loose control. I just want to share my experience to everyone and may this serve as an example in case you will take a taxi and charge more than the normal rate.

That's right @madphotographer and thanks for sharing.

The meter system here in KSA is a question mark because of the over-charged unit rates fed in the devices. You always have to bargain the fare which sometimes gets disasterous because all agreements have been verbal.

This is a never ending story and the best way to get rid of all this is to maintain our own car.

If only I were a guy. I would just buy my own damn car and be done with all this nonsense. Paying for taxi's really is ridiculous especially considering we live in a country where gas prices are cheaper than drinking water!

Forget about normal taxi's and consider the private drivers who take people to and from work everyday on a schedule. It took me forever to find someone who will charge a decent price. One of the drivers I asked was asking for 2 THOUSAND SR a month. What? Is he going to drive me around in a Lamborghini or what? Or perhaps his car has special super duper gas that allows him to fly me to work instead of basking in the heat of traffic. Anyway, I found a guy who was willing to take 500 a month which I still think is too much for his services considering I'm only 15 minutes away from my job. That is a big portion of my salary and it often makes me angry when I think about it =/ Oh well....

@winteryrose: 2000 riyals! that is way too much... and 500 is also a bit too much to charge you with if its only 15 mins away from your place. 300 Riyals is justifiable to transport you which will only take him 30 minutes a day... I have a female friend who were charged 500 Riyals from one way which will only cost 100 Riyals! That is because of her skin color, if your skin is white, you need to learn on how to bargain! If there is a masters degree of it, better take one if you will not be driving here in KSA. lol!

@Thelegendleads: Yes you are right... its better to get your own car and drive it... I used to drive in Riyadh and that was just last year... my only problem is the crazy drivers out there... no matter how safe I drive I always ended getting hit from behind by really really crazy drivers out there... I have been hit more than 5X from behind of my car... big car, small car and old rusty car! and it is really a headache if you get in an accident! the waiting for a police to have a police report... well it is a different story, I have a story to share about it too... I will post it soon... :):):)

Lol this is such an intriguing thread, I could almost feel my hand going over to the non-existent bucket of pop corn.

madphotographer, I liked your reaction. If a taxi driver overcharges me, I usually try to make light of the situation by giving him an astonished reaction but then pay, given that it's not a steep cheat. In your case though, the driver was proper mad. :S

lol sounds like he did get quite annoyed

I think it's how you deal with the situation that you get the kind of reaction you deserve (or not). The point is, being calm and making your point in a somewhat nicer way would have probably saved you 5 SAR.

There are times when taxi drivers charge 50% extra if they think you can pay more, and I normally ask them when they make the attempt to do so. While the car is running and they do not agree with the price I bargained for (notice that I bargain), then I tell them to stop the car so I can get off. It is not a loss to me if I get a new cab. But most of the time they agree because they do not have any choice since we are on a roll already, so to speak.

But I do tip if they ask me for the right amount.

Hi gonzrule,

Thank you for the sharing of information :)

Just that this thread is quite old 2011 !

Feel free to start a new topic.. like a fresh new one with your information on the Khobar Forum please :)

Thank you

Maximilien