Organize your move to Trinidad and Tobago

Hi all,

we invite you to share your experience about moving to Trinidad and Tobago.

Here is a list of questions which might help the ones preparing their move to Trinidad and Tobago:

What would you bring and what would you leave behind?

Is it a good idea to bring furniture or domestic appliances?

Any foodstuffs that are banned in Trinidad and Tobago?

Is it better to bring a car or to buy one once settled in Trinidad and Tobago?

Any advice for the ones who are moving to Trinidad and Tobago?

Thank you in advance for your participation :)

Hi all,

Would be nice if anybody could answer this post ! I'm quite interested in knowing steps to take when moving to T&T.

Information about lifestyle would also be appreciated.
Sending out an sos wink

Thanks!

Julie wrote:

Hi all,

we invite you to share your experience about moving to Trinidad and Tobago.

Here is a list of questions which might help the ones preparing their move to Trinidad and Tobago:

What would you bring and what would you leave behind?

Is it a good idea to bring furniture or domestic appliances?

Any foodstuffs that are banned in Trinidad and Tobago?

Is it better to bring a car or to buy one once settled in Trinidad and Tobago?

Any advice for the ones who are moving to Trinidad and Tobago?

Thank you in advance for your participation :)

I think it depends on how much you want to spend moving.  International shipping can be quite expensive.  If you're company will pay for relocation costs then go for it.  Everything here is extremely expensive.  I have a lot of local friends who'll shop online to fill a 40 foot container and ship it to TNT.  A lot of Trini's will take regular vacation to Miami to shop (especially over Thanksgiving).  That's cheaper than buying here where everything is 2 to 3 times more expensive than what you'd pay in the States.  Definitely bring in appliances if you can :)

Cars here are also really really expensive  I think the import rules are really strict, so it might be better to purchase locally.  Also, they drive on the right hand side here, so it might be awkward to bring a left handed drive vehicle in (although they are allowed).  Luckily, for popular vehicles such as Nissans, parts are super duper cheap :) 

I'd go to a doc as early as  possible and see what shots you need.  You'l also need to make sure your visa requirements are all in order (including a physical and chest exam, which you can do once you move here).  Importing any fresh food is banned here, i.e. fresh meat, fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, etc.  Luckily, in the grocery stores you can buy anything you want.  It's like shopping in a regular grocery in the States.  Animals must have specific documents / vaccinations as well so be sure to look into that if you're bringing them in.  There's lots of info online if you google it.

Life here is similar to life in the States.  Lots of outdoors activities, lots of bars and restaurants.  The foods here are wonderful!  A blend of South Indian, Creole, West African, Spanish, Chinese flavors.  Just be sure to join a gym :P  Trini's love to socialize so it's easy to meet people.  There's always something going on.  You might have to look a little harder than say in the States, but it's there.

:one

LilPearl your information was very mouthful and useful. It really gave an idea on one should expert.

Being a South African, I am still nervous about the decision I am about to make; moving to T&T at my own expense.😊