Moving to Manizales from New York

My wife is from Colombia and we decided to move to Manizales.  I have spent a few months in South America and about 2 weeks in Manizales.  However we did allot of traveling, tourist stuff and visiting with her family so I didn't get a really good feel for the city or surrounding area.

Can anyone suggest some websites that will give me some background of different areas of Manizales so I can save some time when looking.

I am not much of a city person and like the suburbs and know this area has lots of mountains and not many houses with yards.  We are looking to spend about $500 to $800 USD per month for a house or condo, $1000 max.  Nice, quite neighborhood, perferibly with some land, but high speed internet is a must, due to my business.

We will be moving down November 17, 2011.  I will also be bringing my German Shepherd, so any advice with or experience with bringing dogs into Colombia, would be appreciated too.  Any help would be great.

Thank you,
Michael

Hi Michael,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thank you for this introduction.

I wish you good luck in your search,
Christine
-------------
Expat.com team

Hi Michael,

It has been a while since your post, but I am hoping that you check-in now and then.  I am retiring in July 2016 and am preparing
to make plans to move to Latin American to both stretch out my annual pension, and enjoy the Latin Culture that I have come to love.  Manizales appeals to me because of it's size, the fact that it is a "College Town", climate, and it's natural beauty. 

I have never been there so my vision is highly romanticized, I am aware of that.  So, I am planning to visit this August.  Anyways, I would love to hear how you have made out since your move.  The stages that you went through, and what you have learned about the city.

Thanks,

Bruce Miller
Winsted, CT

Hi Bruce,

So far my time in Manizales has been very relaxing and enjoyable.  There hasn't been much need for adjustment, other then just getting used to some new cultures and traditions.  I have traveled through central Colombia and must say, Manizales is one of the safest, nicest and best all around of cities here in Colombia. The people in Manizales have traditional reserved, family values and are very friendly. 

Being raised near Bear Mountain State Park (just across the river from you) Manizales is just the right size city and country for me.    If I miss the snow, I can take a 30 minute ride up the mountain.  Or if I miss the summer heat of the mid 80's, I can take a 30 minute drive down the mountain.  You can rent a nice vacation house for about $100 a night. 

There are natural hot water springs to enjoy.  Little parks hidden in and around the city, most with breath taking views of the mountains.  We also have a small airport here, which makes traveling to major cities or even internationally much easier.  Public transportation is very convenient and affordable.  A bus ride will cost you about 80 cents and a taxi ride from one side of town to the other may cost you about $5 at most.  The temapture averages about 73 but ranges from 65 to 85 all year round.

If you are a meat and potato guy, then you will love the restaurants here.  The food a good sized steak dinner here will cost about $10.  If you like vegetables, well there isn't much on the menu but the grocery stores here are well stocked and prices are about 1/2 of what you would pay back home. 

As far as stretching your annual pension, you can live a relatively comfortable lifestyle (compared to the USA) here in Manizales for about $800 to $1000 per month (comparably USA upper middle class).

The few down sides are, because Manizales is a small city, there is a limited selection of clothing and foods (compared to larger cities like Bogota).  The organic / wholefoods market hasn't quite reached Manizales, when it comes to labeled products.   There are also some areas (like any city) that you need to be careful walking through.  Just use common sense and you will be ok.  This can be a pro or a con, but tanning is quick and easy.  Standing at 13,500 feet you can get a nice tan in about 15 to 20 minutes in the sun (regardless of tempature).  Also the seasons are reversed here.  August is our winter season, so it might be a little colder and a bit more rain and wind then usual.

Another down side for me is,  I am a shorts and t-shirt kind of guy.  For Manizales, this is more appropriate for going to the park.  If you wear shorts around town, you will stand out as a tourist. Although I have never felt I was ever at any risk or danger, this does make you a target for pick pockets, purse / cell phone snatchers and (I am warned) a possible mugging.  But I walk on the main streets, stay in public areas and live in a very secure, gated community.  But in my opinion, the rewards of living in Manizales, far outway any risks.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask and I will answer as best I can, as I am still learning about Manizales myself. 

Regards,
Michael

PS - When you make it down to Manizales, let me know. We can maybe get together and I can give you a small tour of the small city and possibly introduce to you to other expats.

Hi Michael,

It was really good to hear from you.  I am glad that you have found Manizales to your liking.  I have only pictures and letters from a friend that describes the climate, surroundings and activities that she enjoys.  The appeal to me again is size, and the availability of colleges.  I am planning my summer vacation now, and Manizales is in the running next to Curacao, Panama, Costa Rica.  I appreciate your invitation to get together when I come to Colombia, and I will certainly take you up on that.  May I ask if you are working, and is it difficult to find work there.  Of course, I know that depends upon what you want to do.
I have been an educator for thirty years.  I would like to teach, but then again I would be open to anything.  I am seeing this as the next chapter of, hopefully, a couple before the last. So, experiences are important.

Again, I really appreciate your response and would enjoy an ongoing conversation to learn more about your new home.

I have been to Bear Mountain hiking and camping as a boy, back in the 60's.  I remember having a lot of fun.  I am in Winsted, CT.  In the Northwest Hills.

Buenos Noches!

Bruce

With a teaching degree you will likely have offers from schools in a few days of submitting your resume.  If you want I can introduce you to other teachers and administrators at some of the better schools down here. 

I have an online business, so I can work from anywhere in the world at any time, but I took a part time teaching job here (to get out of the house and meet new people).  I have no professional teaching experience so my contract offers where a little lower than a professional / experienced teacher.  Depending on the school you can work as a full (7:30 - 5pm on avg) or part time teacher.  You get a 1 hour brake for lunch.

Hi Masterita

Would you be able to send me some details of some of those schools which you mentioned?  I would be interested in a job in Manizales but am finding it difficult to track down any schools who will reply to my emails!
Email is [email protected]

Thanks
Adam

hi Michael...its a pleasure...im leo....

raised in florida and been living there for the past 33 years. I am of colombian origin and living in manizales for the next couple of months and then soon after permanently.

I saw your post and thought it would be cool if I started to meet some people from the States down here.

I understand you moved to manizales late last year and thought perhaps we can meet sometime for a beer or two and exchange a few words. You can reach out to me anytime.

Hope all is well.

Sincerely,
Leo

Nice to meet you Leo.  I'll send you a private message.

Hi Michael,

It has been a while since my last communication, life gets so damn busy.  How is your wife and the youngster. I was wondering how your business is going.  Please remember me for the last week of June through to the second week of August. I offer you free labor, in return I can bone up on my Espanol, and get a great idea of what I can anticipate upon making this move.  I will need to find very inexpensive lodging for that duration.  Perhaps a hostel will work, or if you know someone looking for a temporary roommate.  I am not weird, or at least I hope not, and I am very respectful of personal space.  Well, that is still a year away.

Anyways, I have a huge favor to ask.  I am hoping that you might know of a realtor that I might begin to develop a relationship with.  As you know, I am still three years away from my move, but I would like to begin to learn more about the market value of the neighborhoods of Manizales, and also look for business opportunities that may become available.  I am not having a great deal of luck on the internet finding the listings in your city, so I was thinking that contacting a realtor that could send me updated listings over the next couple of years would help me to start to develop a feel for what I am getting into.

Regards to the family.

Bruce

Hey Bruce,

We have finally secured a house to use as a school building, giving us 3 classrooms, a computer lab, reception area, a workshop and most importantly a teachers lounge.  We have you on the schedule for teaching 60 hours a week for next year, so don't worry ;0)  And as for housing, that shouldn't be any issue.  There is plenty of condos, apts and houses going up that will be finished by next year, which means plenty of more living spaces will be opening up.  Maybe we can even find you some rooms to rent from a student.  Either way it shouldn't be a problem.

I have 1 friend in realestate that really helped us in finding and securing our school and worked us out a great rental deal with the owner.  When you are ready, pm me your email and exact criteria of what you are looking for and I will make the connection for you.  Her name is Magda, very nice woman but she doesn't any English, so you would have to use google translate.  If there is any specifics I can tell her for you. 

So how are your TEFL classes and your boot camp training coming along?

Cheers,
Michael

Hi Michael,

I am happy to hear that your school is making progress.  That is fantastic.  Only 60 hours?  No problem. : )))))))  I am really looking forward to it, because I want to work on my Spanish and begin to develop some relations with people in the city. 

Real estate wise, I can live a fairly spartan existence.  I need my guitar, my radio, a fridge, stove and bed.  At least to start out.  Should I come to love the city I will be looking for a place that I can entertain.  But, if she can send me listings then I can become acquainted with neighborhoods by analyzing market value.  Going on line here I am limited to one company that lists properties and there are very few at that.

I have not started the TOEFL classes yet, determining to take Spanish this semester at the college.  The TOEFL classes are over $2,000 and I just don't have that kind of money right now.  But, I do have three years before I will be making the transition, so it is on the list.

It was nice to hear from you.  Thanks,

Bruce

Bruce,

If you have not checked out this website it could be another good resource for you.  I use google translate, add on with my browser to view this site.  It is similar to CraigsList but users are all registered.  You should be able to view some listings in this area.  But when it comes down to it, when you are ready, you would have to drive up and down each street in the area you like just to be sure you don't miss any.  Colombia is still about 7 years behind on internet marketing. 

mercadolibre.com.co

Hi!

I've been living in Manizales for some months. I'm french and my husband is colombian. I am looking for international expats' communities in Manizales. I've found quite a lot in Medellin, but for the moment nothing in Manizales.

Do you know, casually, any expats' communities in manizales ? If not, please tell me if you're interested by starting to create one.

There are no groups that i know of and there are about 30 or so expats living here and about 50 more who are here seasonally working.  I am certainly interested in starting a group.  I will send you a PM.  .

Manizales, I am sure, has gotten larger over the years you have been absent.  There are plenty of new housing going up right now, so by this time next year there should be plenty of new places available and the older apartments will drop down in price.  Currently 2 people could live fairly well for 800 euros per month.  By this time next year you should be able to live a little better (if the housing cost drops like I am predicting).

For your style of life, I would suggest the Cable Plaza, Palermo or Milan area (500 to 800 euro per month).  These are your safer, take a stroll / cafe life style areas.  San Marcel, La Florida area (500 to 100 euro per month) would be your safer country / suburbs area and only 5 to 10 minute bus ride away from the cafes.  La Enea is a strata 2/3 area, very family oriented area with mom and pop shops, cafes and bars all up and down the avenue.  This area would cost about about 450 euro per month (it is located between San Marcel and La Florida, right next to the airport).

There are plenty of colleges, universities and academies here, so finding a teaching position should be fairly simple and currently you would be looking at about 10.000 to 15.000 mil per hour income to start and if you have good credentials you could double that at a good school.

As for the Visa, I don't know for sure as my wife is a Colombiana and they issued me the visa right away with no problems.  After my son was born here, I just needed to fill out a few forms to get my permanent residency.  But I am sure it won't be a problem getting a visa.  But it is usually more difficult getting a work Visa as companies assume allot of risk signing for them.  However they are changing some of the requirements (so I am told) and so by the time you come over things might be different.

I hope that helps.  If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.  Good luck with your search and be sure to let me know when you make it to town.

- Michael

masterita wrote:

Manizales, I am sure, has gotten larger over the years you have been absent.  There are plenty of new housing going up right now, so by this time next year there should be plenty of new places available and the older apartments will drop down in price.  Currently 2 people could live fairly well for 800 euros per month.  By this time next year you should be able to live a little better (if the housing cost drops like I am predicting).

For your style of life, I would suggest the Cable Plaza, Palermo or Milan area (500 to 800 euro per month).  These are your safer, take a stroll / cafe life style areas.  San Marcel, La Florida area (500 to 100 euro per month) would be your safer country / suburbs area and only 5 to 10 minute bus ride away from the cafes.  La Enea is a strata 2/3 area, very family oriented area with mom and pop shops, cafes and bars all up and down the avenue.  This area would cost about about 450 euro per month (it is located between San Marcel and La Florida, right next to the airport).

There are plenty of colleges, universities and academies here, so finding a teaching position should be fairly simple and currently you would be looking at about 10.000 to 15.000 mil per hour income to start and if you have good credentials you could double that at a good school.

As for the Visa, I don't know for sure as my wife is a Colombiana and they issued me the visa right away with no problems.  After my son was born here, I just needed to fill out a few forms to get my permanent residency.  But I am sure it won't be a problem getting a visa.  But it is usually more difficult getting a work Visa as companies assume allot of risk signing for them.  However they are changing some of the requirements (so I am told) and so by the time you come over things might be different.

I hope that helps.  If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.  Good luck with your search and be sure to let me know when you make it to town.

- Michael

Thanks Michael.
Just one more question, does it mean that an initial residence visa wonŽt allow a person to work there?
Cable Plaza is a neighbourhood? I didnŽt understand strata 2/3 area.
Thanks again Michael.

Cable Plaza is the mall... I meant to say El Cable.  There is a nice upscale mall, Juan Valdez, little shops, restaurants and bars in this area.  To me it is an upscale metro area with a bohemian vibe.

"Strata" the word used to rate the income level of an area.  1 being the lowest and 5 the highest.  So an area that is 2 / 3 is "Upper Lower" to "Lower Middle" income area.  Not the safest but not dangerous. (this is just to give you a general idea of the area).

From my understanding, if you have a conjugal visa / domestic visa, this would entitle you to work any job that doesn't require a specific degree or licenses (doctor, lawyer).  I don't know the requirements of obtaining one of these visas in your case.  My wife is Colombian so I had no problems getting my conjugal visa.

masterita wrote:

Cable Plaza is the mall... I meant to say El Cable.  There is a nice upscale mall, Juan Valdez, little shops, restaurants and bars in this area.  To me it is an upscale metro area with a bohemian vibe.

"Strata" the word used to rate the income level of an area.  1 being the lowest and 5 the highest.  So an area that is 2 / 3 is "Upper Lower" to "Lower Middle" income area.  Not the safest but not dangerous. (this is just to give you a general idea of the area).

From my understanding, if you have a conjugal visa / domestic visa, this would entitle you to work any job that doesn't require a specific degree or licenses (doctor, lawyer).  I don't know the requirements of obtaining one of these visas in your case.  My wife is Colombian so I had no problems getting my conjugal visa.

ah I see. Great info. IŽll keep you posted, who knows I end up living there sooner than later. Thanks Michael.

Hi  I live in Medellin (7 years) and my wife and I want to travel to Manizales for a long week end.  Is parque Nevado Open to go see the volcano (how is the ol volcano by the way.  I heard about a red alert last year with lots of ashe)  We want to go to the thermal pools as well.  Can you be of help???  It would be greatly appreciated.  My number is 310-465-4137 cell
William
Author Breal Out Of Academic Spanish

masterita wrote:

Hi Bruce,

So far my time in Manizales has been very relaxing and enjoyable.  There hasn't been much need for adjustment, other then just getting used to some new cultures and traditions.  I have traveled through central Colombia and must say, Manizales is one of the safest, nicest and best all around of cities here in Colombia. The people in Manizales have traditional reserved, family values and are very friendly. 

Being raised near Bear Mountain State Park (just across the river from you) Manizales is just the right size city and country for me.    If I miss the snow, I can take a 30 minute ride up the mountain.  Or if I miss the summer heat of the mid 80's, I can take a 30 minute drive down the mountain.  You can rent a nice vacation house for about $100 a night. 

There are natural hot water springs to enjoy.  Little parks hidden in and around the city, most with breath taking views of the mountains.  We also have a small airport here, which makes traveling to major cities or even internationally much easier.  Public transportation is very convenient and affordable.  A bus ride will cost you about 80 cents and a taxi ride from one side of town to the other may cost you about $5 at most.  The temapture averages about 73 but ranges from 65 to 85 all year round.

If you are a meat and potato guy, then you will love the restaurants here.  The food a good sized steak dinner here will cost about $10.  If you like vegetables, well there isn't much on the menu but the grocery stores here are well stocked and prices are about 1/2 of what you would pay back home. 

As far as stretching your annual pension, you can live a relatively comfortable lifestyle (compared to the USA) here in Manizales for about $800 to $1000 per month (comparably USA upper middle class).

The few down sides are, because Manizales is a small city, there is a limited selection of clothing and foods (compared to larger cities like Bogota).  The organic / wholefoods market hasn't quite reached Manizales, when it comes to labeled products.   There are also some areas (like any city) that you need to be careful walking through.  Just use common sense and you will be ok.  This can be a pro or a con, but tanning is quick and easy.  Standing at 13,500 feet you can get a nice tan in about 15 to 20 minutes in the sun (regardless of tempature).  Also the seasons are reversed here.  August is our winter season, so it might be a little colder and a bit more rain and wind then usual.

Another down side for me is,  I am a shorts and t-shirt kind of guy.  For Manizales, this is more appropriate for going to the park.  If you wear shorts around town, you will stand out as a tourist. Although I have never felt I was ever at any risk or danger, this does make you a target for pick pockets, purse / cell phone snatchers and (I am warned) a possible mugging.  But I walk on the main streets, stay in public areas and live in a very secure, gated community.  But in my opinion, the rewards of living in Manizales, far outway any risks.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask and I will answer as best I can, as I am still learning about Manizales myself. 

Regards,
Michael

PS - When you make it down to Manizales, let me know. We can maybe get together and I can give you a small tour of the small city and possibly introduce to you to other expats.

William,

Sorry it took so long for me to write back.  But the park is open and from what I am told you make it up, almost to the top (I think about 800' or so from the top).  The hot springs are open too.  There are plenty of backpackers back in town so be sure to book your room in advance.  If you are looking for a hostel or hotel, let me know and I can make some suggestions. 

Regards,
Michael

Hello Everyone,
I am so glad that I found this site. We are planing to move to Manizales soon. We might be traveling Colombia in December, 2013 to checkout the different possibilities. My plan is to start a little farm and my wife (who is Colombian) has Master of Teaching  (Secondary), She is looking to find a Teaching Job, If someone knows where she should go, it will be helpful. I am also looking to lease Agriculture land. I know it is a Coffee region, but how about veggies. I am originally from India and also wanted to know if there are any Asian Indian living in the area. Thank you.

I am not sure if you received my private message or not.  Please check your inbox.  I have friends with farms here just outside of Manizales that can help you.  Either by renting you their farm, renting space on their farm or assisting with the purchase of a farm and or materials. 

Yes their are Asians here in Manizales but not many.  There are a few Asian restaurants as well.  Feel free to contact me for more info on Manizales.  Just send me a PM with your info and I can call you or you me. 

- Michael

Hello Michael
Thank you for the respond. I been little busy over the week, anyway maybe you can pass my info to your friend. my skype is serjohal and they can also email me [email protected]. I will start looking into land lease in the area that you mention.

best regards,
Serj

Hey Mike are you still in Manizales,any Info you can give me.That will save me time and money ?

In my 17 months living down here I have learned many things but it would take some time to write them all.  Do you have specific questions maybe?  Are your bing to Colombia or just traveling?  Planning on renting a container to move your household goods or boxing some stuff up? I can give you tips on the or renting, buying a car, job searches, looking for housing, cattle, etc. 

Just a few tips:
For transferring small amounts of cash under $5k it is often the easiest and cheapest to use an ATM or a private currency conversation office where you can negotiate a better rate.  Don't accept anything more than 3% conversation fee (most will want 3 or more, but at least 3%).  ATM will give you the daily rte but charge you the ATM charge on both sides, so be sure to withdraw about $700.000 pesos or more to help absorbe the fees.  Go to your bank a month before traveling down here to extend you maximum withdrawal limit to a max of $1k used or about 1.600.000 pesos (roughly $880 USD as of today).  You can get a 2nd or 3rd ATM card as each card will have its own maximum withdrawal limit.  This is safer because it keeps someone from withdrawing too much out of your account if they get your card.  (Just rember to keep your extra cards hidden). 

Transferring large some of money: use investment firms as they are usually the middle man it most bank to bank transfer and will offer the best rates. 

Walking around with money: the largest bill here is a $50 and people seem to like peeking into you wallet when you have it open.  A tip is to fold your 50s long ways so they drop down to the bottom of your wallet and are harder to see but easily enough to grab.  The most common crime in Colombia are snatchings of purses jewlery and cell phones. So this little tip could help save you. 

For banking:  if your going to keep an account in your home country try to find one with a sister branch here in Colombia to help save fees.  Citi, HSBC and bank de Colombia are a few.

Just a few tips.

Thanks I will be there on the 14th of June.I plan on looking for a place to buy If I can find a good deal.I plan on staying for 3 months.I still need to get a visa,and cedula to open a bank ac there I think.any Info? I was there for a month in Jan.I want to live there for 8 months and 5 here in the States.I am retired.If you have any Info pertaining to that please let me know.
               Thanks so much Evaristo

Evaristo,

You should double check with your local consulate and print out all government printed information.  I have American friends down here who purchased a farm and they have been trying to close on the property for over 6 months.  You would need to get your cedilla or at least put in your request as soon as you come down.  Be sure to apply for your visa before coming down or the process of purchasing a home will take much longer. 

Opening a bank account can be difficult without your visa or cedulla.  Even with your visa or cedilla most banks want to see proof of residency for at least 6 months.  But you might get a bank agent that will over look formalities and just open your account.

Just remember that there is little to no accountability here. So be sure to write down everything that officials or reps from the consulate or offices tell you or ask for printed material so you can reference what they said and try and call them on it when you find out it isn't correct.   Friends of mine applied for a visa extention last minute only to return a few days later to find out that the clerk forgot the paperwork innhis desk draw and they had to pay a fine for overstating there visa.   Again no accountability. 

Sorry I am not trying to scare you off but just give you a heads up to help save you some grief. 

Let me know when you make it down and we can meet for a cup of coffee. 

Michael

Hello everyone that reads this blog. Thanks to all for the information you guys are posting. I have already learned some things about Manizales.
my wife and I will love to buy a condo/apartment/house depending on current prices.
I would love a way to be able to see what the real state is offering, but from an entity that will not try to take advantage of my ignorance. thanks:)

Anyone coming to Manizales is welcomed to contact me for assistance.  I have reliable contacts that are completely bi-lingual that can help you take care of paperwork, immigration, bank stuff, doctors, etc.  average hourly cost is 15 to 20 mil per hour, may or may not include transportation services too.  These are people I know and have worked with and that I would recommend. I have good and honest Realtor friends but most don't speak English. 

If anyone needs any assistance or has questions please feel fee to post on here or send me a private message. 

To give an idea of condos / apartments new start about $150.000.000 (800 sqr foot) and $200 for something 1200 sqr foot.  These are just ruff prices from what I see published and it really depends on location. 

- Michael

Hey, thanks for the info. Do you know of specific neighborhoods that are safe for foreigners, and or just for a decent safe living. In other words a nice are where we won't have to worry about being mug every time we turn the corner.

Thank you again,

Enjoy your life.

Hey mike you sent me a private message with your number I just got this computer and I am on the road to Miami to come to Manizales and this is windows 8 ,I cant find your number is what I am trying to say.lolMy e-mail is [email protected] being Old and stupid doe's not help.

A bit about myself and Manizales:

My wife is Colombian. She lived in Manizales for many years and has her family here.  I have visited different areas in Colombia and found Manizales  to be the most agreeable for me.

I run an Internet business from my laptop so I am able to work virtually anywhere in the world.  So with life being more "laid back" here and much more affordable, we decided to move to Manizales. The fact her family lived here was a huge bonus.

We have 1 son who just turned 1 years old (born here). We have private healthcare for him and so far I am very satisfied with the services we have received… not to mention all the $$ we saved.

Manizales is known for its schools. Depending on your budget, I would suggest Granadino. The teachers all have their masters or extensive experience teaching and it is primarily English first school. Most teachers are from North America or Europe.  The cost is about 1 million per month per student. 

There are other good to ok schools here (by US standards). It would just depend on what type of school you would want. There are religious, co-ed, fully bilingual, more Spanish then English and private schools, depends on your budget.

As for living area, it is important to remember that you can travel from one end of the city to the other in under 20 minutes. The average taxi ride is about 5 mil pesos.  Public transportation is very cheap, easy and reliable.  I rarely wait longer than 5 minutes for a bus or taxi.

I find the best areas are on the south side of the city. Popular nicer areas are Palermo, Milan and Cable. These 3 are in the upper scale Metro area of the city.  Clean, safe and fairly quite.  Average apt cost is between 800 mil to 2 million.

San Marcel and La Florida are on the end of town and closer to most of the better private schools. This is more country living area but La Florida is constructing about 500 new homes / condos in this area, so it will be more metro / rural then it is country.

La Ena is an old small neighbourhood style area with lots of mom & pop garage stores and restaurants. I like to visit and usually do my veggie shopping there. I live in the very north end of La Ena, next to San Marcel.  In between the country area and the metro area of Cable, with a large park in between.

We rent a 3 bedroom condo overlooking a 16 acre park (the picture on my profile). Nice and quite area which is very conveniently located just outside the city limits. If you like biking, hiking, golf, motor cross, sports and plenty of fresh air, then this is one of the best spots in the city.  There is also a small amusement park for the kids, play area, public and private pool, tennis courts, basketball, paintball, hospital, grocery store and gym all within a 5 minute walk.  The average rent of a condo in this area is between 1 and 2 million per month.

Shopping: El centro is an old style city with different blocks selling specific goods.  You have a walking Ave filled with different shops and other blocks that sell just specific goods. One block has mostly furniture, next block is electronics, next are home goods, etc. There are 4 main shopping centers, soon to be 5.  There is a Home Center (Lowe's), Super Exito (super walmart) here, 2 cinemas (Most movies are in English). There are plenty of small gyms and 1 large Body Tech Gym as well as MMA gyms. Plenty of pool / billards halls. On Thursday and Friday nights the El Cable area is packed with students and the bars / night clubs are filled.

The views are spectacular, with rolling mounts everywhere you look outside the city.  Architecture is old mixed with new and some of the streets here are steeper than those in San Francisco.  On the north side of the city you will look over other mountains and the south side will look up at snow capped mountains.

The weather typically stays between 60 and 80 degrees all year round with an average of 72.  For about 3 to 4 months out of the year we have rainy weather, which is usually 2 days of showers and 2 days of blue skies.  But the other 8 months are typically very enjoyable. There is always a small breeze blowing through most of the city, keeping the air clean and fresh.

The one downside is there isn't too much to do here unless you enjoy hiking, biking , sports (soccor / basket ball) or window shopping.  There is a US Football team that plays and welcomes walk-ons.  The coach speaks fairly good English (I have played with them on occasions).  They have games between the other cities.  The most popular thing to do is walk around town, window shop or visit the park.  Most people will head up into the mountains for the hot springs or down the mountain for the relaxing country houses (rentals are cheap at about $80 per night).  You can drive 40 minutes up the mountain to see snow or 40 minutes down for sub tropical weather (90s). 

There is a small airport with flights to Bogota and Medillen, but flights are kind of expensive.  The average short 45 minute flight to either city costs between $120 to $200.  Or you can take a short ride to Pereira and the flights are a little cheaper. 

Along the north, west and east border area of the city (Pan American Ave and Kevin Ave) are typically you lower income areas.  Crimes down here are localized mostly in the lower income areas and the city center borders.  They are mostly snatch and run, so wearing flashy jewelry around these areas is not recommended, walking with smart phones exposed or walking around them at night.  There are specific out of the way sections of the city that Police block off at night to prevent the crazies from coming out or people from accidently wondering in.  Other than that Manizales is a fairly safe city.

The city is easy to navigate with its 4 main roads. A car isn't really needed although because of my son, I purchased one.  The taxi drivers tend to drive fast and the busses do too.  But I usually prefer taking the bus or a taxi when traveling to and from town.  They are cheap, easy and I don't have to worry about parking, which can sometimes be difficult to find a spot and cost the same as if I took the bus to and from.

To give you an idea of living expenses (as of 06/2013).  Total living expenses for the 3 of us here is about 3.3 million per month (about $1,800 USD) which includes everything (home, utilities, cell, private insurance, car, dining out, movies, etc).  At this expense we live your typical upper middle class lifestyle.  A single person can live fairly comfortable here for about $1.450.000 pesos per month (~$800 USD) and about an extra $300 mil pesos more per person.  Our costs are a little higher because the 3 of us are on private insurance costing about $600 mil pesos per month.

There are about 20+ expats living full time and about 30+ part time expats here in Manizales. It is a very small community and most usually stay in small groups and stick to their "cliques". 

Well that is a "brief" overview of Manizales (from my view).  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Michael

Greetings Michel,

Thanks so much for all the time you invested writing the letter.

My wife and I are really considering Manizales as a place to move to. We have been constantly talking about my retirement. After a long talk with her, it turns out that she is worried about "the advances" that women feel free to do on any male that they perceived as having some steady income. Could you talk about that? Are females open and free to come on to you? I understand that it is my wife's insecurities playing around in her head. Have you have any experiences where your wife has felt invaded in her territory by other females?
May be your wife can write to this, and either give my wife the heads up, or put her at easy.
Please understand that my wife is also reading this information, she feels afraid of losing her husband to another female.
Sorry to put you through this.

Enjoy

:lol:  This topic can be delicate...

To say the least Colombian women (and most women around the world) tend to be more "receptive" to American men.  It does have to do with the money, but it also has to do with North American men are more family orientated than most other nationalities.

However I find and most expats typically agree, that women are simply more flirtatious with expats in general.  What I as an American male see as common social skills and friendly banter in the states (making strong eye contact, smiling and being humerus) is seen as being flirtatious down here.  So it is very easy for a Colombiana to get mixed signals.

Even in the states I found that women feel more comfortable flirting with a married man than they do with a single man.  However in Colombia it is less of a social stigma for women to be involved with a married man, especially if it means financial support for her and her family. You need to remember that the average ratio of women to men here in Colombia is about 5 to 1.  There are many single women and not enough men.  However, it is rare that women will try to pursue a relationship with a married man, unless they have an ulterior motive, which would most likely be financial or their husband has a girlfriend and not showing them enough attention.

My wife had some concerns about me going out alone, worried a woman would try to steal me away.  But she quickly realized that I could be trusted to think for myself and wouldn't be lead astray. If the man doesn't pursue it is very unlikely that the woman will.

The other thing you need to know about living in Manizales is even though there 440,000 people living in Manizales, it is a small city.  As your circle of friends grows the more you will run into or be seen by those who know you and Colombians LOVE to gossip.  I would say at least every other time I go out I run into a family member, friend or neighbor or someone will later tell me "Oh I saw you at the store the other day" or "Oh, I saw you in the street by that stadium".

The simple facts are this: Since Colombian men typically don't settle down until their late 30s to early 40s and Colombian women want to settle down in their mid 20s on, it is quite common to see a 38 year old man with a 28 year old woman.  After a woman hits 35 - 40 it becomes very unlikely that they will ever get married.  With the ratio of 5 to 1, men have more of a selection and women can't be as "picky" as there is more competition for women. So for an American male it is certainly easier to pursue a relationship with a Colombian woman.  More so than a Colombian man.

So to sum up.  Women are more receptive and attracted to American men but it is always up to the man to pursue it.  So you kind of have to take it at a personal level.  If you trust yourself and your wife trusts you, then there shouldn't be any problems.

I am not sure if that answered your question or not... but it is the most honest and informative answer I can give.

Cheers,
Michael

Sound words. And I am single.

Michael thanks again,
I will make wife read this later on, she not here right now. I will let you know what happens.

Enjoy
Neptali

Hey, I've been teaching in Bogotá since Jan., and now I am moving to Manizales for work (moving within the next week). I would love to meet up with some people after I arrive!

-Laura

Hi Laura.  I would be happy to meetup with you and will see if I can wrangle up some fellow expats to meet with us. Drop me a line when you get in.  Check your PM for my number.

Hey Michael,

My wife read your post, and completely agrees with you. The whole thing comes down to trusting each other.
She was a bit embarrassed for the Colombianas there, but she knows you are right.

Thanks again, to this day she still wants to make the move to Colombia. We will see if is going to be to Manizales, Medellin or some other place.

Thanks again,
Enjoy life

Neptali