Cost of living in PP - How far will $300/month stretch?

Hi,

I have been offered an Internship based in PP to start in Jan 201 and last around 12 months.

I have been offered $300 a month to cover basic costs, and I was wondering how much this will cover and/or how much extra money per month I might need.

The things I may have to cover: -

Rent  (possibly shared) – Apartment in a half decent area (doesn't have to be the best area), with, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom and air-con.

Utilities – Water, Electricity, Internet (home wi-fi)

Mobile phone

Transport – I tend to walk everywhere, so hopefully this should be OK and I have heard transport is cheap.

Food – I would probably cook all my own food, and buy food from the market and supermarkets, I rarely eat out if I can't afford it. 

Leisure – I would like to afford to go out a couple times a week for casual drinks and perhaps go to listen to some live music. Also I like to go to the cinema a couple of times a month.

Also other things I may have missed?

Sorry for the long list but ….

Any help would be great, as I am trying to figure out if  I can afford to do the internship

Thanks, Sophie :)

Hi there,

I've been living in PP for about 7 months.

To get a decent place for rent you probably will have to spend $100/month *minimum* for a studio flat or a bedroom in a shared place. Probably closer $150 (I shared a 2 bedroom place with the things you listed with a friend, we paid $180 each). I find utilities generally cost around $50 a month (I have air con, TV with cable, a maid, shower with hot water, fridge and a gas cooker that I almost never use). Internet may or may not be included, you can get a pay-as-you-go USB thingy if you don't have a connection at home. That adds up quickly. Lots of cafes and restaurants have wifi, and there are loads of net cafs around. I only spend about $2 a month on my phone, if that.

Although cooking and eating at home sounds like a good idea, eating out it very cheap here (cheaper than cooking for yourself I find) and most people - including locals - eat out a lot (if you go to Khmer-style places). You can get a decent dinner for $1.25 but you will get very bored with rice if you do this. I usually spend $3 or so for an evening meal.

If you live close to work you can save a couple of dollars a day on moto/tuktuk rides. Those add up fast.

As for leisure ... if you drink beer, an Angkor Draught it costs $1 at most places. Cocktails may be $2-3 at happy hour. A trip to the cinema is around $3.50 - $7 depending on whether you go to a new multiplex (the first arrived only a couple of months ago) or a little indie place called The Flicks.

In conclusion ... around 50% of that $300 will go on rent and utilities. You can live on around $10 a day average in addition, which I have done, but it's obviously nice to have extra. In an ideal world you'd probably want another couple of hundred to keep life comfy and have a social life.

Hope this helps ...

Thanks gin_rummy. Now I get into the PP cost of living. Is driving around advisable for expats?

Brickstone,
Unless you plan to drive to the provinces frequently, a car is more hassle than it's worth here. Get yourself a moto (small motorbike). Far more agile for weaving in and out of heavy traffic. Just be prepared to forget every road rule you've ever learnt and be on your toes for people driving on the wrong side of the road, pulling out without looking, running red lights, swerving in front of you... the list goes on.

Ok thanks, but I have 2 kids. How shall we get around? I have a big frame too and would a motorbike be still advisable? I'm 6'3", 225 lbs. :(

hi there, I'm in the same boat! i wish to come to cambodia, spend a year, see the country. plz help, she i hit the ground, where should i stage my search for a cheap apartment and nice (well , ok neighborhood) ?  I'm tough, i lived in indonesia for 7 years so i know the drill. Gin, i would greatly appreciate the advice.  how about work? is it difficult to find a job teaching english

thank you in advance
AP

[email protected]

If you want to live centrally but not in the expensive expat area or close to touristy riverside, I think the Psar Tmeii (Central Market) area is pretty good. My friend had a very basic studio flat for $100 a month (no washer/drier and his shower was total crap). I paid $180 to live in the area in a nice flatshare, which apparently was a bit over the odds. There's a Lucky Supermarket, central market, lots of small shops and restaurants, some clubs which attract a mix of locals and expats (Pontoon and Heart) and it's walking distance (should you be so inclined) from riverside and the swanky barang bars. You can probably get a cheap place near the Russian Market too, which also has a lively local scene (until nightfall, when it is dead) but it's a tuktuk/moto ride from everywhere else.

The best way to find a flat is through word of mouth or just walk around the areas you like and call the number on the 'for rent' signs. Then keep your fingers crossed that they speak English. Alternatively bribe a Khmer friend into helping you out :) Though some places are to rent for locals only.

I found it really easy to find a teaching job (with a TEFL and some limited experience). The trick is to find something that pays well for good hours. A good full-time wage is around $1000, enabling you to live well and save, but that will depend on your qualifications, experience etc. It's worth holding out for a good job!

Good luck :)

I have a note that states that I read that the Cost of Living in phnom penh including rent,food, utilities etc could be achieved on $ 450 per month about Thai Baht 13500.
I am trying to update my cost estimate in detail.
Does any Member have detailed costings to help me please.

I am looking at minimum costs for a retired person living on a small pension.

Hi Grin Rummy,

(if you go to Khmer-style places). You can get a decent dinner for $1.25 but you will get very bored with rice if you do this.

Any places you would like to recommend?

It is difficult to make costs comparison in these highly relative environments. A room in a modern clean environment and another in a stench ancient building are not the same thing. The $1.25 dinner prepared in Bangkok in terms of hygiene and tastes, is not the same thing as that dinner on the streets of PP. Personally I find in many aspects it actually costs more in PP compared to Bangkok or other developed Asian cities.

Happy hunting.:)

I am interested in doing my intership there. I think PP is not an expensive place.

Hello Everyone,
Please stick to the question How far can you stretch $300 in a month here? It actually depends on how many people? and what lifestyle are you in? If you are single... that will be quite enough but just to the edge of it. If you are two with no kids... around $500, and with kids, extra 150.00 for the milk and etc. now, rooms here in guesthouses is already$7-8 for a fan room , and aircon runs 12-50 depends on where you at. $100 / is a room might be with something or nothing on it.  But if you rent.. be sure you have deposit and also, be prepared with you extra high bills.  About the job, not so good here... dont be excited, It is hard to find jobs here. Not that easy. I am speaking not to discourage you or encourage you, but if you have better options not to come here... go somewhere else.

300 a month you will need to live like Khmer ! Live like a westerner or Aussie u will starve

You need to consider health insurance cover too. In Vientiane 15 years ago I could live like a king on that money and the same in Vietnam but not now anywhere in Asia at all.

$300 is an incredibly low amount to live anywhere in the world as an expat and PP is no exception. I think you may consider bumping this amount up to $500/ month as a base minimum.

thanks for this conversation, Ive found it very informative thankyou.
I am moving in November and have a job lined up that includes accommodation, meals at the school and a living allowance of 125 US per week. I think that will allow me to live simply.
cheers

Dale