Opening a bank account in Mongolia

Hi all,

is it difficult for expats to open a bank account in Mongolia ?

Which documents are required to open a bank account in Mongolia ?

How long does it take to open it ?

Is there any restriction for expats regarding the services (loans for instance)  ?

Which bank would you recommend ?

Thanks in advance for your participation,

Julien

hi,

I was at the Golomt bank and opened a "hariltsaanii dans", that's a usual bank account.

Documents required: your passport. You need two pictures, and during the process you go with a paper and a picture to a notary, they stamp it, then you bring it back to the bank office and then you're in. A card costs extra, usually you put in or take out money personally, you just state the account number and show your passport.

Loands ?  Nope, money rules the world, especially positive amount of money on your bank account. Interest reates are at 2-4%, on a monthly base. Not annual. For sure you don't get a loan, but all other services are accessible. On a savings account you can get about 6% on foreign currency or 10-14% on Tugrik. The exchange rate is pretty stable at 1:1300 to the US$ since 2007 but the annual inflation is about 10%, maybe 20% without affecting the exchange rate.

Believe me you don't wanna do that. Nothing is secure "here", that's hire&fire even if you have signed a long term work contract.

The Golomt bank has internet banking, that's 30$ for a password generator and an extra contract.

This account has a SWIFT number, IBAN is available only at the "Trade and Develpment bank".

The procedure took about 2 hours, and the internet banking contract must be gotten from the center of the Golomt bank at the Sukhbaatar square, one or two days after.

Hi ojutan!

Thanks very much for your help ;)

Armand

I opened an Хаан Банк basic account and it is very simple to do.  I only too my passport and resident card, filled out the form and everything was done.  A week later, my ATM card was ready to pick up.
It was too easy.

Does Golomt charge for an ATM card?

Hi there, did you have to have a resident permit/card to open your account?

Thanks!
Gaia