Opening a bank account in Slovakia

Hi all,

is it difficult for expats to open a bank account in Slovakia ?

Which documents are required to open a bank account in Slovakia ?

How long does it take to open it ?

Is there any restriction for expats regarding the services (loans for instance)  ?

Which bank would you recommend ?

Thanks in advance for your participation,

Julien

I am my self searching for one ..
There are many banks in Slovakia .. one friend suggested this bank to me VUB but im not sure if it is the best bank there.
I think the papers work is valid ID and an address .
I hope some expats to guide us here .

I am now looking for information of this question, if there is any update, I would appreciate it!

Opening a bank account is easy but chose the bank most suited for your typical transactions.  Once you have a Slovak ID card, even if it is just the 5 year temporary residence type card you can open a bank account.
VUB is the most expensive account I know about but they do offer some discounts if you work at particular companies.  They have plenty of branches and internet banking is also easy with them.  They also offer transfer services to other countries and will accept cheques from international locations.
If you want a free bank account, i.e. no monthly charges with some transaction limits then consider MBank
They allow you to use any cash machine and the cards are visa with no charges for using in Europe.  The internet banking is easy but only in Slovak, again a reminder that they do have a few limits.
Do you need additional information or help, if yes contact me and I will see what I can do to help you.

In my case, when I was opening I only had my passport and I was staying at hotel at that time. I chose Slovenska Sportelna which is a partner to Erste Bank Group. I opened a normal account with a debit card(visa electronic). It was so simple and easy. You just bring your passport and say you want to open an account. It will be much easier if you are working and your company has a in-house bank branch office.
However, NB that it takes more or less two weeks to get your debit card and its passcode which are delivered to your address via post. But opening an account itself take less than a minute.
You can use this normal account for international wiring and other basic jobs.

Check this link of a law firm in Slovakia: http://www.akmv.sk/en/services-for-comp … -slovakia/

They opened for me a bank account in Tatra Banka, a.s. They just needed the power of attorney (they prepared it) and the copy of my passport with the apostille.

Everything was arranged without being present in Slovakia, I was very satisfied with them.

I hope this helps