Opening a bank account in Peru

Hi all,

is it difficult for expats to open a bank account in Peru ?

Which documents are required to open a bank account in Peru ?

How long does it take to open it ?

Is there any restriction for expats regarding the services (loans for instance)  ?

Which bank would you recommend ?

Thanks in advance for your participation,

Julien

Must be a citizen or resident of Peru to open a bank account; not a government rule, but all major banks require it.  I went to Banco Continental, Banco de Credito (BCP), Scottiabank and a couple others both in Lima and in a small city, the later with a Peruvian who knew the bank manager; who after checking with the central office said no.

I gave money to the caretaker of my beach house and he opened a savings account in his name with only his Peruvian ID card in about 10 minutes after waiting in line for about 45 minutes (you have to take a number)

I prefer BCP because their ATM's will disburse 700 soles per day while others are 400-500 per day.

I think with out a Peruvian property owner as a co-signer/guarantor, it would be nearly impossible to get any credit in Peru.  Again, you would need Peruvian residency, a "Carnet de Extranjeria.

By the way, I spent many trips to the Min Exterior to get a residency card based on the easiest method "married to a Peruvian" and gave up after a month.  I completed all documents including the police check and then was put on a list of a month or so for them to review my application.

Here is an update, I recently learned that Interbank located in Miraflores will open a savings account for tourists in $US.  From their website I learned that this bank has a history of ownership by U.S. individuals and institutions; maybe that explains their policy on accepting expat customers. I intend to explore this further, anyone have experience with this bank in Lima?

You could open a bank account with carne de extranjeria i can help get that its like a temporary residency for peru you could be a citizen in aboutt 3 years if you like you could write to me [email protected]

I heard that a bank in miraflores open account to foreign people without carne... may be interbank but i'm not sure.
It's true that the "carne" help a lot everywere
;-)

Yes its true peru opens all the doors after your carne it really helps alot u also recieve discounts on airlines and tickets in peru

IT IS NO TRUE that Interbank located in Miraflores will open a savings account for tourists in $US. you need carnet de extranjeria.

Oh,oh, please tell us your experience about opening a savings account with out a carnet de extranjeria, with Interbank!!!

I am about to bring a cashier's check with me to Peru in the expectation that they will accept it for deposit.

greetings.....

banking in Peru is one way only / you need the carnet.......

with it - it is like shopping in the supermarket,,,, everything is available.....

without it,,,,, well, your invisible and they don't even consider the possiblity / no matter how much you wish to deposit / you will not get their attention....

Interbank in Surco, I think on Polo st. / near the US Embassy has a relationship with Americans - you can have Soc. Sec. checks direct deposited to an Interbank Account.
***note*** you need to have the Carnet de Extranjeria to do this.

Nice to hear from you again, I now have a carnet and a bank account in Peru. Here is a summary of my experience this year with the cambio migratorio:

1. I discovered that the social security statement was not acceptable with out the apostle, for this the statement needed a signature, so back to SSA in person for another statement. The first was obtained on line. My daughter with an autorization letter got this for me and sent it to a document company in DC, for 70 dollars they took it to the State Dept for the apostle.

2. With this I returned to Min Ext for approval to be translated, with the translated document which cost 200 soles, (4  pages) I presented the required docs for the RENTISTA visa and they gave me a status check key for the web.

3. They sent me to PIP for another certificate but this time I had to go to a bank and buy a money order in dollars for the FBI. But I did not have to wait for a response, because I live in a provincia, I got 24 hour service.  AND the new process is I take the clearance from PIP to migraciones.

4. I gave the certificate to the mesa de partes and told to check my status on the internet for the cambio de migratorio. Now and then I was able to check my status on the web but usually the status look up failed, so many trips back in person to have them check the status.  After a few weeks, I got an email from them saying I needed proof of funds available to me in Lima,

5. More trips and wainting in line. I told them no carnet, no bank account.  But I offered them an alternative, I was getting funds from ATM machines, They said present original receipts for 1000 dollars during a recent month together with my US bank account statements showing the SSA was depositing my retirement into my account.  I did this and after waiting 2weeks, one trip to check the status at the mesa de partes, they printed out my status form showing APROBADO

6. So with this print out, I went to a waiting area for my turn to go upstairs, upstairs another waiting area, they after 2 hours my name was called, another 2 hours and I left with my CARNET.  The next day, I went to an interbank branch and opened two accoutns, one in dollars for my transfers from the US and another in soles for transfering dollars into soles for my local expenses.  They said I could call them and request a digital code device to use for on line transfers within Peru.  They said for most transactions in person I will need my passport and the Carent with shows my passport number.

By the way, my Rentista status has no expiration date and is exempt from the annual fees, thus my only restriction is no more that 183 accumulative days per a 12 month period away from Peru.

End of story

ah!,,,,, finally......

With the Carnet you instantly come out from under the cloak of invisibility and are recognized for the simple everyday things that you could not do before....

I am in Trujillo / this city is booming / if you cover your ears not to hear Spanish you would think your in the states in the 60's.....it is great to be with the people on the street / everyone walks or taxis and there is really a very nice sense of community....

I am glad that you got things sorted out and if any of my info ever helped you well,,, I am gratified....

ps, I note that you are very organized and intelligent !

pistachio

ps: I was told that the Carnet expires in one year needs renewal and a fee / but checking on the back I realized that your correct / the fee is exonerado and the term is indefinido

pps: I remember visiting Barranco when in Lima and it was quite an experience.....kinda like East Village in NYC.....

Hi Russ
Did you need a lawyer for your residency,if not can I ask for help
Regards
Raymond

Residency question: A lawyer is not needed nor are any of the hustlers hanging around at the corner coffee shop. You need to print out the policies & procedures on the ministry's web site, select the appropriate  basis for your application and fill out the standard form to change you migratory status from tourist to resident.
By the way married to a Peruvian has the negative aspect in that the Peruvian spouse has to guarantee your residency anually with a notarized document & i believe you have to renew it and pay a fee every year. The best residency is the rentista if you qualify but you are not
authorized to work. If you have an employer to sponsor you; the process should be simple. Lose your job, you have to leave.
The procedures sound easy but there are many hidden steps, lots of delays, waiting in line and misunderstandings; if not fluent in spanish, an interpreter is essential. Good luck.

Thanks for all your support
Raymond