BSBH or St Christophers??

Hi,

I'm Lisa currently living in the UK, my husband Myles is about to set off to work in Saudi. Me and Orion 6 year old son will join him to live in Bahrain in Feb 2012. I am trying to get the insider information about life in Bahrain especially about schools. Orion is in Year 2, so which is the best school? how long are the waiting lists? Which is the best/safest area to live in?  Is Bahrain on the brink of a meltdown?If anyone could give me some update or links to blogs etc it would help enormously.  Many thanks!!

Lisa

Welcome to Expat.com Lisa!

Have you taken a look at the different discussions of the forum?;)

Harmonie.

Hi Lisa and welcome to the forum,

Like Harmonie said, you might find a lot of answers in the forum if you go through the recent topics. You will also find some blogs in the "blogs" section (makes sense isn't it :D

For the school thing I'll let the mommies reply. My kids are 21 and 23 so year two is quite far away :p

As far as your other questions are concerned:
* the best area to live ==> There are plenty. With a kid I suggest you find a house in a compound. Usually there is a common pool, a space for kids to play. It's secure and guarded with security at the entrance. Maintenance is there if you face any problem as I imagine Myles won't be home very often. You'll feel more secure than in a standalone villa and might have nice neighbors to get along with, specially if they also have kids.
You will find plenty of compounds for all budgets in the neighborhood of both the schools you named.

* Is Bahrain on the brink of a meltdown ==> who can answer this question is a very very smart :D
Tension is still here for sure. Demonstration are still going on and unfortunately some clashes with the police are still to be deplored. But besides this unfortunate reality, most of the incidents are contained in the Shia's villages or very close to them. Some strategic points are to be avoided, specially on Fridays after the prayer. But to be honest, our daily routine is hardly affected, even if everyone would like to see the conflict to find a positive issue...
The British Embassy has a website; you can have a lot of information on the situation there also, and from a British point of view :D.

I hope this helped a little...

Wish you, Orion and Myles a fantastic stay in Bahrain.

Cheers

Olivier

@Oliviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiier!

What a  great wish for a fantastic stay in Bahrain! :dumbom:

Why "hardly affected??? :unsure  Did u move to Sanabis?
:)
@Lisa  Good Luck! and :cheers:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your replies. I have indeed read every blog/website I could find (which to be honest are not very many)in the quest for that insiders guide to living in Bahrain.

Hey Lisa, too bad you don't read French there are a few active blogs in French language here... But feel free to ask all the questions you want here !

@ Anna
Actually, I'm working between Sanabis & Karbabad and I moved from Budaiya village to Barbar, the part just behind Diraz :proud
But still, I take care of course to avoid the demonstrations when they take place close to my place, but besides that nobody bothers me and Bahrainis, even in troubled times are still very nice people whatever side they are...
:D

Cheers

:top::one

I will be moving with my 2 daughters 10 yrs and 5 yrs old. We are thinking of Bahrain British school or chouiefat does anyone would know if they will get some arabic classes or not?

Hi Samawal and welcome to the forum,

I think you'd better start a new topic to give more visibility to your request.

Cheers

Oliver

Hi Lisa,
Im new in this web, so i read your post just days ago.
My son is 4, he is now in nursery in Little Gems, Saar. I applied for Reception in St Christopher almost 6 months ago..till no answer. We are Aussie - English speaking.
This school is old and the waiting list is long enough.
BSBh looks like just concrete building, but kids (the same age as your son 6-7) are happy with programmes (i asked them myself).
In any case, your son will be on the top of wating list :)
The situation is ok, some people are leaving, some are new.
We are in compound in Saar, mostly noisy with teargas and helicopters, but it's ok :)you still can have some fun, even with blocked roads and buning oil in HWYs :)
Huge Britz community..so you'll find a lots of friends.
Cheers,
Vas

Hi Lisa
I sent you a message but I think it didn't go!
So I try again.:)

I'm in the same situation as you last year!

My husband works in Saudi and me and our son 6 years old will join him next September.
My son would be in year 3!

So please tell me what did you do for the school and how is your son, dose he like it?
Thank you
Badghir

Badghir wrote:

Hi Lisa
I sent you a message but I think it didn't go!
So I try again.:)

I'm in the same situation as you last year!

My husband works in Saudi and me and our son 6 years old will join him next September.
My son would be in year 3!

So please tell me what did you do for the school and how is your son, dose he like it?
Thank you
Badghir

Badghirl - Lisa may not be a member anymore as her post is quite old.

I also have sons here in Bahrain - one is 3, one is 8 and one is 16.  My boys go to British School of Bahrain - its really a matter of personal choice, location and spaces.

You will have to apply to one or both (at a cost) and then your son will need to take an entrance exam - you will then be told if he has passed and if so whether there are spaces.  I would advise that you start the process as soon as possible to get on the waiting list.

Both run the British Curriculum, one is in Saar and one in Hamala, both have good inspection reports.

Personal opinion but both my boys love BSB - we are British but they love the international feel of the school and have made some fantastic friends who are non Brits, their standard of education is far better than they were getting in the UK, and they are taught Arabic as part of their curriculum (2 hours a week)

I would suggest that your husband comes to Bahrain to visit both schools and to decide from there - you too if you are able.

Hope that helps