Driving test / lessons headache - help really appreciated

Hi all;

I lived in England until moving out to Gibraltar earlier this year. I do not have a driving licence.  Now, as i am a resident of Gibraltar i have found out that i cannot go back to the UK and take my driving test - by law you have to be a uk resident and have lived in the uk for 180+ days - i obviously do not apply.

So i suppose the only option i have is taking a driving test in Gibraltar - but can anyone help with the following:

I have been working and resident here for 7+ months (still have not got my Gib card issued as it takes FOREVER); will i be able to take a test here?

If i do take a test in Gibraltar and move to Spain next year will i be able to drive in and out with a Gibraltar licence but then be a Spanish resident? Or can i exchange the Gib licence for a Spanish one.

Thanks - really confused............

Hi flowerpot and welcome to Expat.com!

Good luck,
Harmonie.:)

hi i used to live in gib when my husband was drafted there in 2006 and i did my test out there and i dont think i had to show anything in the form of i.d maybe a passport but nothing else. theres only one driving school what i know of (i cant remember the name) but i had garry and he was really funny and he was great (ask for him) anywhere when i moved back to the uk i had the gib licence and u just tranfer it over to a uk licence im not sure if u can do that with a spanish one though x

u can drive with your gib licence but i think if u move somewhere else like uk its only valid for 3 months or something and u cant get car insurance with it.