Transportation guidance needed

Hello! My husband and I will be coming to Uruguay in November. We are interested in retiring in Uruguay but not sure of the best location for us. We would prefer a smaller community over a large city, such as Montevideo. We would like to visit the coastline areas, including Carmelo, Colonia, Punta del Este, Pirapolis, Cuchilla Alta, Atlantida. 

What is the best method of transportation to see the coastline? It seems logical to start our trip in Carmelo and work our way East. Would it be best/easiest to fly into Buenos Aires, then ferry across to Carmelo, taking a bus to Colonia from there?  Or should we fly into Montevideo and take a bus to each location?

Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as we are limited on time. Also, if you have any insight or recommendations on any of these locations, including real estate agents, please contact us here or offline.

Thank you in advance.

Hi hollymacmurdo!

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Armand

I would fly directly into MVD, but I usually limit travel to small junkets, you may enjoy the bustle of many connections. Buses work well and are fairly nice, but a bit of online searching might find you a rental car at an offseason rate which will give you flexability.

I've found that in December rental prices of cars and rooms start to increase and in January can peak quite high on the coast, then slowly decrease through March.

A day or weekend trip to BA in a few months if you are still around will let you renew your visa. It is an interesting town. Check to see what special charges Argentina may have for people visiting from your country.

Enjoy UY

cyberhug.me wrote:

I would fly directly into MVD, but I usually limit travel to small junkets, you may enjoy the bustle of many connections. Buses work well and are fairly nice, but a bit of online searching might find you a rental car at an offseason rate which will give you flexability.

I've found that in December rental prices of cars and rooms start to increase and in January can peak quite high on the coast, then slowly decrease through March.

A day or weekend trip to BA in a few months if you are still around will let you renew your visa. It is an interesting town. Check to see what special charges Argentina may have for people visiting from your country.

Enjoy UY

Hello

Thanks a lot for your input even if this thread has been inactive since 2011.

Useful infos are always most welcome on the forum!  :thanks:

Regards
Kenjee