Any teachers just started with Education Experts?

joshua wells wrote:

I don't feel comfortable putting my employment life in the hands of those who show incompetence.

You've made the right decision.

Best of luck in the Emirates (that may be my next stop!).

It's indeed a timely thing that I should write the blog entry when I did, because just a few moments ago, the very question that's been hanging over my head, the question of the location of my work visa was just answered by said individual via SKYPE! I've just been informed that this visa has been sitting in some agency office for quite some time now.
  Now, I ask,..."And you're just telling me this now????" Why couldn't this crucial piece of information been told to me weeks ago? Prime example of lack of communication! Lack of communication indicates lack of attention to detail, which makes me very nervous. I will choose Dubai now. Let the visa sit there in D.C.

joshua wells wrote:

I don't feel comfortable putting my employment life in the hands of those who show incompetence.

Cant speak for the rest of the Middle East but Saudi is probably not the place for you. It can be great but there are plenty of times when you just cant get your head around ... well anything ... there is this irritating saying, inshallah, it's fine once or twice but it will become the bane of your life should you be the kind of person that requires things to happen in real time. Again cant say much for the rest of the ME but there is Saudi Time and then there is the rest of the world. I'm mean they technically only trade with the rest of the world 3 days a week Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday :)

But seriously if you dont like your agent and you are having such a hard time, is probably best to get elsewhere anyway. Try KSA another time maybe you'll have better luck. And don't be afraid of making a point either sometimes you'll find they do respond better with some nagging. Granted they quite often will ignore you, but a few occassions it can work ;) good Luck with your new job

joshua wells wrote:

I will choose Dubai now. Let the visa sit there in D.C.

Good choice ;) Have fun out there

Louise.Welge wrote:

And don't be afraid of making a point either sometimes you'll find they do respond better with some nagging. Granted they quite often will ignore you, but a few occassions it can work ;)

I prefer to consider it persistence rather than nagging :lol:  But Louise is right.  Follow-up/persistence here is what makes things happen (in due time), but you must always be pleasant, smile, laugh, all the while persistently making your point. 

When they realize you're not going to go away, they'll take care of what you need done. 

I once read a job advert for KSA and it listed requirements for the applicant.  One point really hit the nail on the head.  It said, 'must be comfortable with ambiguity.'  BINGO!

Alliecat wrote:
Louise.Welge wrote:

And don't be afraid of making a point either sometimes you'll find they do respond better with some nagging. Granted they quite often will ignore you, but a few occassions it can work ;)

I prefer to consider it persistence rather than nagging :lol:  But Louise is right.  Follow-up/persistence here is what makes things happen (in due time), but you must always be pleasant, smile, laugh, all the while persistently making your point. 

When they realize you're not going to go away, they'll take care of what you need done. 

I once read a job advert for KSA and it listed requirements for the applicant.  One point really hit the nail on the head.  It said, 'must be comfortable with ambiguity.'  BINGO!

:lol::lol::lol:

saudiman wrote:

I worked for EdEx for a couple of months after my bad experience wih AETG.  I am grateful for being able to go right into a new position so quckly and without going home first, but this experience was not as good as it could be, due to unrealistic expectations by the management of King Saud University's PYP program and general disorganization all around.

First of all, your visa allows only an entrance to Saudi, no exit.  So don't be surprised when you see it on the visa, no one told me beforehand, so I couldn't go to Bahrain or anywhere else.  It's the same visa normally given to laborers from South Asian countries.  But you do keep your passport, however a lot of teachers would run at the end of the month after payday.  Here's why...

The upper management of KSU must be in denial about the abilities of the male students.  There is a director there (DAVID MURPHY) that wanted us to teach very odd things such as Socratic Dialogue, added to a rushed schedule that didn't allow us time to focus on basic grammar points.  The test is all-important.  The number of "meetings" all teachers had to attend outside of class time was ridiculous, mostly regarding a lot of add-on programs run by Murphy and a few other Saudis who had been educated in the UK.  But it didn't reflect on the true abilities of the students themselves, many of which couldn't write or speak English at all.  The student behaviors were pretty bad too.  I was exhausted not from the actual teaching but all the other nonsense that was added on.  I left after two months - as did many others - just couldn't deal with it.  And too, a teacher who tried to voice the time constraints we were under at a meeting was fired immediately - KSU management is very autocratic. 

And when we were paid - we had to stand in line for hours because of the stupid insistence on signing a sheet and not telling us till we were at the head of the line, then we were sent back.  This happened in front of students the first month, which amused them.  The second month, we were bused to a run-down "resort" east of Riyadh on a very rainy evening, and forced to wait in line AGAIN but out in the rain!  Extreme disrespect and outright ignorance.  I'm glad I quit!

Hello

I remember those days. lol standong in the rain for our money thats when it rained in riyadh causing a flood all over the city

that socratic diologue or sod it dialogue as i called it then was a total waste of time.
dr aq

After you receive the Letter of Invitation, what are the additional steps?

I assume you have your contract.  If so then you contact the visa office in your country & they will advise you from there re documents etc they need to process your visa.

Did you guys pay for your visa? They told my husband to contact some travel agency in DC, which they ask him to send money for processing and mailing! I am just wondering. Please let me know

Hi, I paid for my visa upfront, but not the air flight. The visa was reimbursed in my second month's pay.

Hi all - I am considering an offer from Education Experts, but am more than a little concerned about all the negative comments.  Here is my question: I understand they bring in their ESL instructors on single entry, 90 day Business Visit Visas.  I also understand that many teachers get fed up and pull a runner.  Do they need an exit visa to get out of the country?  Does anyone ever get stopped at the airport?  I don't want to go there, find out that I don't like the company, and then not be able to leave.   Does anyone have any information on that?  Thanks...

starofthesea wrote:

Hi all - I am considering an offer from Education Experts, but am more than a little concerned about all the negative comments.  Here is my question: I understand they bring in their ESL instructors on single entry, 90 day Business Visit Visas.  I also understand that many teachers get fed up and pull a runner.  Do they need an exit visa to get out of the country?  Does anyone ever get stopped at the airport?  I don't want to go there, find out that I don't like the company, and then not be able to leave.   Does anyone have any information on that?  Thanks...

You HAVE to have an exit visa to get out of here!  What they do is, after receiving their igama (within a few weeks), apply for an exit visa saying they are going to spend the weekend in Bahrain.  THEN they get on a plane and go home.

Hi. You get your visa from an agency in D.C. and yes you are reimbursed for it. If you have a travel/visit visa you can leave anytime. If you have an iqama that's a different, I believe. If you decide to stay your visa must be renewed every 90 days and EDEX pays for it. I have been here for 3 months. It can get stressful, but if you stay positive and focused you can do it!

Now that's interesting, because the two responses seem to say two different things.  Maybe I misunderstood?

Everything I've read on the net seems to suggest that you can leave anytime with the 90 day Business Visit Visa, with no exit visa, which is what I think MSALX is saying above.

Once you have an iqama, then you need an exit visa to leave.  At least, I think that's what it says, but it's kind of confusing.

However, Alliecat above sez that you have to have an exit visa to leave, regardless, and that people only pull a runner after they get their iqama.  But don't you have to go back to your home country to get your iqama?  In which case, why would people come back just to leave?

I must be missing something here.  Does anyone in Saudi Arabia know of someone who tried to leave on a 90 day Business Visit Visa and was stopped at the airport?  Or does anyone know of someone who tried to leave on the 90 Day Business Visit Visa and managed to do so, without an exit visa?
It's confusing!

starofthesea wrote:

But don't you have to go back to your home country to get your iqama?  In which case, why would people come back just to leave?

You can only get your igama in-country. Initially, I didn't know you would have a business visa and I don't have any personal experience there (the whole 'business visa' thing for a permanent employee is very shady, although it seems to be done regularly here).

So Alliecat, do you have an iqama?  If so, how long did it take you to get it?  My understanding was that Education Experts brings everyone into KSA with the 90 day Business Visit Visa? 

Do you personally know anyone who tried to leave and got stopped, or who tried to leave and was successful? 

Thank you for your help with this confusing issue.  It does seem kind of hard to get a definitive answer!

starofthesea wrote:

So Alliecat, do you have an iqama?  If so, how long did it take you to get it?  My understanding was that Education Experts brings everyone into KSA with the 90 day Business Visit Visa? 

Do you personally know anyone who tried to leave and got stopped, or who tried to leave and was successful? 

Thank you for your help with this confusing issue.  It does seem kind of hard to get a definitive answer!

I have an igama but remember I'm not affiliated with (wasn't recruited by) Education Experts.  I had it within a couple weeks of landing here.

I've never heard of anybody being stopped, personally, but they do check your passport number to see if there is anything 'outstanding' (traffic violations, etc.) before you go to the gate

As I said earlier, the people I know who took off said they were going on holiday, got the exit visa, and never came back!  They usually waited until they got their 6 month annual leave ticket so they didn't have to pay their way.

Thank you very much for your help with this, and I would still be interested in hearing from any others who have personal experience with this matter.

Can I just point out that if you are so worried about getting out before you even get here that perhaps you are telling yourself something ... :unsure

LoopyLou87 wrote:

Can I just point out that if you are so worried about getting out before you even get here that perhaps you are telling yourself something ... :unsure

Excellent observation.  I believe in following your gut--and your gut is telling you 'NO,' star.  There's good money here but only if you can stick it out and be reasonably happy.

Maybe check into positions in other ME countries.  They all pay fairly well and certainly the UAE is a more pleasant place to live.

With a 90-day business visit visa, you are not allowed to legally work or reside in KSA and will need to exit the country before the visa expires.  You do not need an exit visa to leave KSA on this type of visa.  You just go to the airport with passport and airline tickets in hand and you're on your way.   No fanfare or formalities.

BTW, a business visit visa is specifically for businessmen, sales people, consultants, etc., who are either looking to do business in KSA, or are already employed with a company in their home country and are brought over for short-term consultancy or other business-related work.  Any payment from the Saudi sponsor for these latter services is typically deposited directly into the visitor's bank in their home country or through their employer.  As such, a 90-day business visit visa is not meant for EFL teachers who are "employed" with a recruiting company and are expected to work for one or more years in a university English PY program. 

Compared to an employment visa and subsequent work permit/iqama, business visit visas are cheap and quick to get and renew, which is why recruiters favor them (and tell unsuspecting teachers that it's "okay" to work under this type of visa).  The quicker the recruiter can get the teacher here and into the classroom, the faster both can start making money.  Still, it's not an ideal situation for the teachers. 

As others have pointed out, if you're worried, then...

Hi all,yes you need an exit visa,when we get a visa in our home land it says valid for 90 days from the issuing date that's mean you have to arrive in KSA before the expiry date,as soon you land in KSA you need an exit visa unless you came to KSA on Entry/R-exit visa;if you try to exit without applying for an exit visa you will be stopped at the airport and return to your employer to get you an exit visa.When I arrived here on entry visa I had some issues with my employer and I was planning to return home if they don't respond to my request about the working conditions,I had to wait in order for them to get me the exit visa.When our employer apply to an exit visa that means our visa has to be in the system on the departure date  if not we are out of luck and we will be sent back to our cell!!!!!that's why when we arrive to KSA they take our passport away,its useless if you get no exit visa.

Ed Ex don't take your passport away if you come on the 90 day Business work visit visa. Also, it began from the date I arrived & was renewed 90 days from then. Consequently, many people since I've been here have chosen to book a ticket & go home.  They've had no problems. They usually go just after pay day,so it's always interesting to see who hasn't turned up for work at that time.

Thanks so much for all your help!  Very enlightening!!!

my sister is m phill in media studies from Punjab university lahore paksitan and she is Teaching as Assistant professor in govt girls colleges back in pakistan and having teaching experiance for more then 8 years...

can please anyone guide as she wana come to Saudi arabia for the teaching Profession.?

is there any suitable positoin for her profession/subject in PNU.

muzhi wrote:

my sister is m phill in media studies from Punjab university lahore paksitan and she is Teaching as Assistant professor in govt girls colleges back in pakistan and having teaching experiance for more then 8 years...

can please anyone guide as she wana come to Saudi arabia for the teaching Profession.?

is there any suitable positoin for her profession/subject in PNU.

Read the threads--this has been discussed MANY times!

i have search but not found can you plz guid me

muzhi wrote:

i have search but not found can you plz guid me

Here's one thread:  https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17476

To find more, use the google custom search box in the upper right of your screen.  Type in:  teaching Riyadh and press the 'GO' button.

Hi Guys,

I am due in Riyadh next week with Ed Ex at KSU. I did have to wait about 4 weeks for the visa to get sorted. It seems as though thats the normal time frame. Got my tickets through. Wondering where they are going to put me (accommodation). Looking forward to it but will miss my wife and children until they join me. I do have an open mind because of all the negative posts about Ed Ex, but I am prepared to give them a try.

Thanks

Mohamed

Hi all ok I'm singing new contract with Edex KSU. the question I have is they sing the contract be for me is that normal? also they told me that i would be staying in a hotel now i dont know if the hotel has tv, internet etc. They also told me that my class would be no larger  then 15 students however i did hear otherwise. your input is most welcome! thanks

Yes the hotel should have internet & TV. However, recently Ed Ex seem to be having a few problems with the hotels, basically negotiations (arguments) about payment, so as the discussions rage, some teachers have found themselves in hotels where the TV & internet have been deliberately cut off, until Ed Ex come to some sort of an agreement. One hotel cut off the water for two days.
Some hotels have single apartments (studios) most are shared.
Yes they sign first & it's fine... you don't have to sign. Some hotels are ok some are appalling it's pot luck which you get, but you can always insist they move you. One teacher I know has moved 11 times!!  But that's unusual.
All the best:)

In KSU girl's campus 15 is usually the low level classes or remedial (KSU term) Most of the other classes can be from 25 -30+

[Moderated: off topic]

Stay away from EdEx at all costs! Your contract will not be respected. There are required teaching hours beyond your contract that are not paid for. Yet, if you are late five (5) minutes for any 2 working hours, with or without a valid excuse, they dock your pay one whole day. That includes being late for any of your 10 hours/week of "office hours", not just your teaching hours. They have administrators patrolling the halls every hour on the hour, checking on you. The environment with EdEx is one of intimidation. The attitude with EdEx is that you are expendable: "Hey, if you don't like it, you can leave." If only that were true. You can't just leave if and when you want to. You need written permission from EdEx to get your exit visa to leave the country. All in all, the only people who put up with the abuse here are those who have little or no choice.

tchr4life wrote:

Stay away from EdEx at all costs! Your contract will not be respected. There are required teaching hours beyond your contract that are not paid for. Yet, if you are late five (5) minutes for any 2 working hours, with or without a valid excuse, they dock your pay one whole day. That includes being late for any of your 10 hours/week of "office hours", not just your teaching hours. They have administrators patrolling the halls every hour on the hour, checking on you. The environment with EdEx is one of intimidation. The attitude with EdEx is that you are expendable: "Hey, if you don't like it, you can leave." If only that were true. You can't just leave if and when you want to. You need written permission from EdEx to get your exit visa to leave the country. All in all, the only people who put up with the abuse here are those who have little or no choice.

Thanks for the update.

allicat which school i shud join as teacher , have done m.phill . m new in riyadh so have no info regarding any thing here.... just wasting time in mailing to schools and colleges . no one is bothering to reply me :( y so ? suggest me

Enviro save wrote:

allicat which school i shud join as teacher , have done m.phill . m new in riyadh so have no info regarding any thing here.... just wasting time in mailing to schools and colleges . no one is bothering to reply me :( y so ? suggest me

Saudi's don't seem to be real big on environmental issues.  If you are here as a trailing spouse, you may be able to get a job at one of the Pakistani/Indian primary schools.  The pay  isn't much, though, and there are usually  no benefits.

I'm surprised Ed Exs are still in business.  Must have some wasta indeed to avoid going home to face the music.  I had an interview elsewhere over Skype and I could hear the staff in the background laugh loudly when I related what I knew about another company I had applied to and turned down due to it not feeling right, that turned out to be Ed Ex under a different name. 

Due to high staff turnover in many countries, fresh TESOL tutors need to promptly find their way to DavesESLCafe and check out the tutor feedback on institutions in whatever country they are going to.  It'll prevent them signing on with certain employers.  In fact, I think all western institutions ought to be making their students peruse the forums as part of any TESOL course before letting them loose on the jobs market.

Allicat u made my heart "broken" dont u knw many many environmental consultancies are here.scope is here for environmental scientists. but i m interested in teaching line and about to start giving my cv in universities...

primary schoool noo :(