Advice please! al khaleej direct english

I am a south african moving to riyadh soon. Does anyone have any advice about working at Direct English and any other info would be usefull. Are their any other South Africans teaching there? I would love any feedback. Thanks
Muhammed

What do you mean by "advice" for working in Direct English?

well I know that they are a famous center for teaching English here but I haven't tried them.

Just make sure you go through your contract in details before you arrive here.

Thanks for the reply. Actually the word tips an not advice on what to expect when arriving. I have no idea as to what to expect teaching in Riyadh. Any pointers on what I should do or don't that I should check out for.

naaa not really, just be patient with the students :)

when are you arriving?

Waiting for my plane ticket from them. Got the visa last Friday an ready to fly. Nervous and scared but excited as well

oh great. Will they receive you at the airport when you arrive?

Yes, that's what I've been told, I hope there will be someone. How long does it take to get an iqama? Cos I was given a 90 day visa. I hope its not a complicated procedure. It was a mission for me getting my visa here at home. My energy levels are low for that now

well that depend on how active your employer is. some people get it in 2 to 3 weeks while others take a couple of months. but no worries your visa can be extended in case it expires before your iqama gets issued. if this is the case make sure you extend it before it expires

did you arrange with them regarding accommodation? where will you be staying?

Accomodation, transport, health insurance, airfare, 30 days annual leave plus re-imbursement of the visa costs are covered by them. I don't know exactly where I will be staying as yet. Will find out when I get there.

Hi Sheikysa,
I just received a contract to teach for Direct English in Riyadh.  How are things?  Are you having a good experience.  I should be arriving in June.  Please let me know.

Thank you!

M.

I have a friend who has been with the company for around a year so you can drop him an e mail and fire away with any questions.

LovejoyMJC wrote:

Hi Sheikysa,
I just received a contract to teach for Direct English in Riyadh.  How are things?  Are you having a good experience.  I should be arriving in June.  Please let me know.

Thank you!

M.

This person Sheikysa hasn't posted since Sept. of last year, lovejoy.  I'd be astounded if she's still reading the blog to answer your question.

Thanks for the tip Alliecat.  I did in contact with someone as a result of the post, so not a total loss.

M.

LovejoyMJC wrote:

Thanks for the tip Alliecat.  I did in contact with someone as a result of the post, so not a total loss.

M.

Yes, I saw what T_H said--good!  You know, you can also get a ton of information from the best ESL teacher forum around at Dave's ESL Cafe.  CLICK HERE for the KSA threads and best of luck to you!

Thank you!!!  I was on Dave's site all day today reading every forum regarding Al Khaleej. 

xo

If you have questions, you have to register but it's no big deal so register and ASK, ASK, ASK! 

Please know what you're getting into if you come here.  People who come with eyes wide open can make a go of it; those who come uninformed or having 'poo-pooh'ed' what they'd heard or read don't last a year.

It's a very different system and culture than what we have at home.  It can be maddening!  But this place is also an incredible learning experience and really promotes personal growth, if you're at all introspective.  Additionally, it will save you from the dire economic situation in the States.  Just keep your eye on the ball ;)

Hi there,

I will be starting my contract in Saudi in September, any advice from anyone? I'd also love to meet some expats currently in Saudi and make a few friends before arriving. Any help would be great,

Thanks!

J.

Al Khaleej has many negative comments all over the internet. I would think twice before agreeing to work with them. You will end up in some isolated area working split shifts at their Direct English private schools. They offer little in way of support for those who are new to the Middle East.

Dave Sperling's ESL site has a wealth of information about ESL employers including Al Khaleej and others in Saudi Arabia.