I am scared of the Giant Weta!

I have only seen it in books, but am scared of the Giant Weta!  We have tons of snakes here in Florida, but I am not frightened of them, but these Giant Weta's give me the heebie geebies!  How common are they in NZ?  Do you have a lot of run ins with them?  They look HUGE!  Eeekk!

KIA ORA how funny, well if you want to see A GIANT WETA you have to go into the NZ bush, not here in cities like Auckland or Wellington. NZ is so safe regarding animals... Raphael...

Sattie, Raphaello is correct you only see them in the bush and you have to look for them. They are like grasshoppers on steroids, but aren't aggressive. Most bush walks have boxes called Wetta Motels that you can open and see them through plexiglass - if so inclined.

You'd like it in NZ - no snakes - no dangerous land wild-life at all.

Cheers

Hi Mark Fleming > just to inform you that this an old discussion. ;)

Don't need to worry!

I was born and raised in New Zealand and have lived here for all of my 29 years (before I move ovearseas in 2 weeks) and have never, ever seen one.

Unless you plan to go tramping or live in/near the bush etc, you aren't likely to ever see one I would imagine.

Occasionally they can pop up in places other than the bush. If you're putting on boots left outside it's good to give them a shake prior. Have seen a few, not terribly attractive I must say.