Moving to Suva

Bula! My husband and I will be moving to Suva in October for a work contract. I have many questions and have found information on the internet varies a lot. Any help would be fabulous!

What are average housing costs? We would want 2-3 bedrooms, hopefully A/C and in a secure area or with some type of security features. I have read about people spending 400-6,000 FJ a month. We would be looking for something maybe in the 600-1100 range for 3 years.

Does anyone have any information on private health insurance carriers? Or any experience in that area...

Has anyone shipped household items from the US? Is it worth the cost to ship items (furniture, linens, household appliances) or is it best to replace them in Fiji? Is it worth it to ship a vehicle with the VAT and customs? I have tried to get quotes, but most agencies want to visit my house. I am not ready to decide what to bring, let alone sign a contract.

I have encountered many sites that speak of local rates for weekend trips. What are your favorite places, rates, etc?

I will not be working, my husband has the contract. Are there any groups or activities for ex-pats in Suva? Or volunteer opportunities?

Any information would be helpful. Vinaka!

Hi BGFiji,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

You may have a look at the Fiji classifieds > accommodation section and post an advert there as well.

I would suggest you to contact our partners insurers: https://www.expat.com/en/insurance/oceania/fiji/

and also contact our partners movers for a free quote : https://www.expat.com/en/movers/oceania/fiji/

Please do not hesitate to participate in other threads and share your experience with us. :)

All the best,
Christine

Hiya BGFiji,
My husband accepted a contract in Suva in 2006 and we're still here because we love it!
If you need more info about local life as an expat I'd be happy to help... Best Regards kiwi_expat

Hello, I am new to the forum. My husband has just been offered a position in the University in Suva and I am trying to find as many information as I can. I guess I am at the same posotion as BGFiji was 1 year ago.

Can you please tell me any information?

kiwi-expat I can give my email, if you have any spear time to advise me.

Thank you all :)

It's best to do you house-hunting while staying in temporary housing in Suva.  There are a number of apartments for rent.

The Fiji Times newspaper has good classified ads for Suva housing (especially Saturday editions).
Fiji Times Classified Ads

Best wishes for your life in Fiji.

John

Hi, BGFiji,

BULA!!!

I will be moving to Suva soon, maybe in a couple of months, along with my wife.
Can you tell me something more about the place, esp. from an expat's point of view?
Your exp. regarding the housing & other activities will really help us a lot.
Also any info regarding the Suva Private Hosp, will be highly appreciated.

Warm Regards,

I'm not BGFiji, and live in Rakiraki, not Suva, but please allow me to respond.

There is an active expat community in Suva, and several shops that cater to our wants to the best of there ability (Cost-U-Less, Best Buys, Yee's, MHCC, the 'Chinese shop' in Suva) and a few good restaurants.

There is a Facebook Group for Suva Expats that helps people connect. The link won't post here properly, but in Facebook search "Suva Expats" and you'll find it. Deals on housing, autos, furniture, etc., often shows up on the page. 

The embassies sometimes have events and auction their old furniture a few times each year (good deals!).  There is an international womens group that have lunches; attendees sometimes include the U.S. ambassador and many NGO and professional women.

I don't know much about Suva Private except that it's the only legitimate private hospital in Fiji.  One good expat friend living in Suva for more than 20 years recommend to me "If you have an emergency, go to the CWM (Colonial War Memorial) hospital, but for anything else go to Suva Private." 

I've only been to Suva Private once as a patient.  Painful kidney stone.  The Doc x-rayed and recommended I go overseas.  They had a modern machine to breakup the stone without surgery, but they didn't know how to use it (probably a foreign aid donation).  I flew out 2 days later.

John

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend will start working in Suva in September 2013 and I will go with him. We are both Germans.

My greatest fear is, not to find something to do (work, internship) so I am about to find as much information as I can about the job-finding-situation :) I did my bachelor's degree in Natural Resources Management.

For the people that are already in Fiji, have you found a job yet or anything else to do in Fiji?

I'd be very happy to hear from you and wish you a wonderful day :)

All the best,
Larissa

Hello Larissa,

If you are looking for volunteer work you will not have much trouble finding suitable work, especially with your credentials in Natural Resources Management.  Mostly marine protected areas, but also forest projects with government and NGOs.

Paying jobs are harder to come by as Fiji, like most countries, protects its own citizens from foreigners taking jobs that local people are qualified for.  If you have a hiring sponsor, no problems.

If you can't find something suitable, consider getting an advanced degree at University of the South Pacific while you are here.

It's a small country, and connections mean a lot.  What is your boyfriend doing?

John

jcaldeira wrote:

Hello Larissa,

If you are looking for volunteer work you will not have much trouble finding suitable work, especially with your credentials in Natural Resources Management.  Mostly marine protected areas, but also forest projects with government and NGOs.

Paying jobs are harder to come by as Fiji, like most countries, protects its own citizens from foreigners taking jobs that local people are qualified for.  If you have a hiring sponsor, no problems.

If you can't find something suitable, consider getting an advanced degree at University of the South Pacific while you are here.

It's a small country, and connections mean a lot.  What is your boyfriend doing?

John

Hi John

Could you please help me?

I am interested in moving permanently to Fiji and possibly starting a business there. Unfortunately, I am not sure how long I can stay so I have tried twice to contact the Fiji immigration but they do not answer.

An American told me the following:

"You will need an investment of F$100K to apply for residency (to stay year round). You will also have to be 45 years of age for this to be possible. Most folks that are under 45 simply leave every 6 months and then re-enter on a tourist visa."

I am not yet 45 so I just would like to know if the Fiji immigration can issue a waiver of the minimum age and if not, how long someone needs to stay out of Fiji before can re-enter.

Could you please help me finding these information for me?

Thank you

Kind regards

EscapeFromTheRatRace,

The age and investment requirements depend on the type of residency visa you are applying for. 

If you are starting a business, there is no age requirement.  The investment amount is not a firm requirement either. However, there are some types of businesses that are reserved for citizens such as taxis and internet cafes (listed in 2nd link below). 

Visitors on tourist visas must leave Fiji every 4 or 6 months, but may immediately return to Fiji. Some people take a short vacation to Vanuatu, New Zealand or Australia.  People on tourist visas cannot legally work in Fiji. People on work visas do not need to leave.

It's a lot easier to start a business while living in Fiji where you can meet the immigration and other government people face to face.  Doing it from overseas can be difficult.  I recommend visiting Fiji before moving here, where you can meet with the government departments and expats who have been through the process.

There's some good information on starting a business on these pages:

Fiji Investment FAQs

Fiji Investment Guide

Fiji Immigration Permit types & requirements
(scroll down on this page - links don't work)

John

I have stayed in Vatoukula since 2 months, nice to know u all.