JOBS

Hi!

I would  like  to know whether everybody who moved to Scotland from abroad had  jobs arranged before  they moved or  did  anybody move  there first, and  then looked  for  a  job?  Things in South Africa are so bad now that  the  sooner  we  can leave  and  move  to Scotland  the better - even if  it  means  selling  everything we  own and  taking a  chance.

My partner has  no qualifications but  has  20years experience in the buiding and  airconditioning fields.  He is  a handy-man (jack of  all trades) and  willing  to accept any work.  I have a BA Degree in CriminologyS  through Unisa (May 2000).  I have  been a stay at home mom for  five  years but would be  willing  to work again.   Are there half-day jobs as  we  have  a six  year old  daughter and, as we will not know  anybody I am worried about what  to do (if I am w orking full day) with her after school is out.

We won,t have  many funds  available upon our  arrrival so where would be the  best cheapest towns  for  us  to seek our first accomodation in?  We  will not be  bringing any furniture with us so it  would have to be something  fully furnished. 

Are good second  hand cars relatively cheap there or pricey, like here in South Africa?  I have read  many of  the  comments  on this  forum but  did  not  come across  anything referring to the  purchasing of  vehicles. 

We are determined  about moving  but  as  we  have never moved  abroad  on a permanent basis, there  are so many things to arrange (and  consider!).  We have done enquiries  with  Visalogic, First Contact and Global VIsas as we  will be travelling on an Ancestry Visa.  Any advice  on the  best one to use?

I thank you in advance  for  any information or  advice.  This is a great site! Fantastic information from REAL people  experience!

Sally

Hi Sally!

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Armand

Hello amman I live in Glasgow which has its cheap areas. Rent for a cheap two bedroom furnished flat will be £250 a month at least, probably more and this will be in the rougher parts of town. If you can get on a housing list you can get accomodation a lot cheaper, but you need to wait a long time till you get these, or you can register homeless but im sure thats not an option. There are probably cheaper areas in Scotland to live than Glasgow as it is a big city but then you have higher chance of employment as a there is a lot of unemployment in Scotland, especially outwith the citys.

If your partner is willing to do any job he should find one in Glasgow, there are lots of employment agencys though there are a lot of foreign workers here now which has cut the rate of pay. Im sure you could get a part time job to suit your child but these jobs are in demand for the same reasons you have. Though im sure you could find one with effort.

You could get a second hand car for £200 but the insurance and petrol is expensive.

I dont know about visas as I was born here but I hope that helps, good luck!

Thank you so much for your reply Broomptish.  Glasgow is one of  the  places I am focusing on, but will research more  on other  places too, like Aberdeen.  I guess it is  all about attitude and  effort, as you said, so I am sure we will find work.  Are there good  primary schools in glasgow?  I suppose  like  anywhere, it is  dependant on area.  We will be travelling on an Ancestry Visa so will be eligible  to work for  five  years legally, after which we  will apply for  indefinite leave  to  remain.  Is the crime rate area specific in glasgow?  Any areas you recommend us  avoiding? I have  been looking online at prices for  accomodation and  cars.  Can you give  me an approximate cost of the  insurance on a  car?I read  that  your  public transportation system is quite good so it is  not a major priority to get a car immediately once  there.  Is that correct?

I have  no further questions yet and  am researching every aspect I can think of.  Thank you again for  your response.  You live  in a truly beautiful country - even with  the rain, cold and wind.   I cant wait to get  there!

Have a super day!

I cant wait to get away from here lol

Aberdeen may be a bit cheaper than Glasgow though I dont know for sure. There are lots of decent schools in Glasgow. I suppose crime is specific to certain areas. I would avoid Govanhill and a lot of the east end tbh Govanhill is pretty bad for crime and general scummy behaviour, though the areas riight next to it can be nice. I have no idea about car insurance as I dont have a drivers licence it depends on age and your history, I know my cousin had to recently give up his car as it was too expensive for him to run. I was going to get a driving license but lessons were £21 for an hours lesson and it just seemed like a big expense to learn, then my plans changed and im planning on emigratting, im not sure if your african drivers licence will be valid in this country, maybe something to look into, sure you can get international drivers licence from your country.

Glasgow has excellent public transport, loads of regular buses trains and a small underground network. One of the best public transport systems in Britan maybe second to London, I have been in european citys and american citys and indian citys and Glasgow has excellent public transport in comparison to the places ive visited, if your in Glasgow city you wont need a car straight away!

Hi all!  Have  still been researching everything about moving to Scotland  from South Africa and  came across some confusing information.  The site I was on said that South Africans do not require visas for 6 months to go  to Scotland.  Does this mean we  can move to  Scotland, then once  there, apply for an Ancestry and Spousal Dependancy visas? All the different information gets confusing.  Am waiting for replies  to  this  from  the  various Immigration agencies but thought I would also ask you guys.  Also, there are so many different visa agencies we dont know which one would be the best...Global Visas, 1st Contact, Visa Logic or Visa First?  Any South Africans out there who can offer opinions on this?