Giving my children Senegalese education?

Hi there, I am married to a lovely Senegalese man and we are planning on having children. We live in the UK (where I am from), and that is where I would like to have and raise the kids. However, due to our religion, he would like our kids to be educated as he was, starting age 6. I'm not sure if I would move to Senegal because of my job, but what does everyone think of bringing the kids to Senegal every summer for 3 months? Would it be enough to make the kids feel Senegalese and be confident in Wolof and French? If anyone has any info on summer schools or organizations I would hugely appreciate it! Dieuradieff! :)

Hi sealionwoman and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that someone will enlighten you soon.:)

Harmonie.:)

Hello
I spend 25 years of my life in switzerland where i did all my student and same for my senegalese husband. we are currently living in dakar. I think that 3 months each summer to start with will be sufficient. the problem in senegal is there is no structure or summer school for kids but i think that in order for them to get use to their father customs and country 3 months per years is sufficient.
take care
maimouna

Hi,
Yes, I do believe that sending the kids back to Senegal as often as one possibly can (summer being the easiest solution) for them to be able to immerse themselves in the Senegalese and Wolof culture, is a really good start. As to the French language learning side of it, this could be easily taken care of in the UK since some French schools operate there in Summer and during the academic year. So, the idea is to have the kids study French in Summer every other year or during the year in the UK. At any rate, it is absolutely necessary for the kids to be regularly visiting their native land (Senegal),your in-laws,siblings, kins etc. (where possible and encouraged of course !) during their childhood because that's the age you more easily and long lastingly acquire the basics of your culture whatever it may be.
Hoping this has been useful. Good luck