MOVING TO FLORIDA

My husband received a job offer in Fort Lauderdale, they will pay 45 thousand a year and all benefits, friends who live there tell us it's a good salary but, I've been searching and I don't believe it, we are a five family so, I'll need rent a minimum three-bedroom house, I have a son in college who must continue studding and I'll have to pay for these studies I'll need to maintain at least two cars, pay insurances, food, energy, water, telephone, and everything else. My husband withholding, will be around 300 dlls Monthly. We still don't  know what kind of visa they will give us, because the company is in the process, but in case I can not work I don't believe we will achieve with this income, I am very doubtful about moving but my husband is very excited and  I don't know what to do.
I would like to hear serious opinions from people in similar situation.

thanks

Hi, floristamkt!

I'm a retiree on a fixed income of $1,000/month. It's hard to spend half of the money on utility bills and still have enough left to buy food. Please read my blog at globalsquatter.wordpress.com. You, your husband and the older kids have to sit down and discuss the family budget. Your family might not need a second car. Biking and using public buses are a viable option. I don't have a land-line phone, and my three cell phones cost about $500 per year (a lot of people spend the same amount for just one phone in a month!). We don't have cable TV. We borrow books from public libraries and read instead. Our family does watch TV off the air though; it's free.

Your college child has to start looking for work and, if possible, do a part-time job. I did series of part-time jobs even though my parents supported me financially as it's expected in Thai culture. It was also common in Thailand where fewer young Thais would generally work while attending college. It taught me professionalism, office politics and interpersonal skills, and by the time I graduated I was already far ahead of my peers.

If your local residential housing regulations allow, you may have to double up as far as the size of the apartment/house or how many bedrooms your money can afford.

You can live with dignity with little money. In my case, I volunteer because I have a lot of time.

Many newcomers to America have made it. So will you and your family.  Best of luck to you all!

Prajna

Thank you very much for your message Prajna, your advice will be very useful to me

I'm so happy for you floristamkt, Fort Lauderdale is a best place to live in

I am not in your situation, but I live in Florida. I am an immigrant also. Prajna is giving very good advice.
Phones: if you want the latest, you have to pay. There are also cell phones androids, etc, at Metro PCS, for $55 per month. They give you a deal for family packages. Land lines, check out magicjack.com. I do not have a land line either.
Internet: Comcast, At&T, etc. They are always giving promotions. Same for TV. If you do not need the TV. Some Tv shows stream live as long as you are in USA. Netflix, is good for movies and tv shows. Either DVD's or streaming through your PC, TV, Xbox. Netflix is no more than $30 per month.
Library: They have very good books also, internet service. I do not buy books. I'll figure I will read the whole library first and then spend money in books.
Cars: Expensive. Used cars, you have to know to buy one of these. They may sell you whatever.
Car insurance: Expensive. They go up every year. I go to the agents. But also, read a lot on the PC. I call the insurance company as such. They give you all the explanation. The agent is selling the highest bid in order to get more percentage of the sale. That goes for everything you need to buy. A car is needed in Florida, at least in Miami where I am, the public transportation is cruddy.
College: Expensive. Try to get as much info as you can. Ask a lot around and at the schools, usually everyone comes up with some bit of important info. He should get a part-time job. Believe me, he will need the extra money.
Rent: Expensive. I have a friend in Miami paying $1400 for a 3 bed. Of course, I do not know how it is in F. Lauderdale.
Health insurance: Expensive. Same for dental. Co-payments are usually needed at the doctor also.
Electricity is a little bit high for a house like that. Central air conditioning.
H2O: Cheap.
Food: Depends where you go. Cheap places: Walmart, Target, Sam's Club, Costco, Bj's. Publix supermarket is OK. Food prices are on the rise though. But it's still affordable.
Fort lauderdale is beautiful. Less crowded. Good climate.

Find as much info as you can. Talk to your family. If you adjust to your new life, there is no reason why you can not make it here. The job market is terrible at the moment. But there is always hope. Good luck to you.

Hello anabellasea.

Thank you for the update. Great post! :top:
Just to note that this thread is dated 2011. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie