Internatinal school around KL! Please give me advice!

Hello everyone! I'm a Japanese and I'm looking for an international school(primary school) for my child.:)
Unfortunately ISKL,Mont Kiara,Garden,Nexus,British,Australian,Alice Smith are out of my price range:(

So other options would be
REAL,Fairview,ELC,Tenby,Mutiara,KTJ,Sayfol,Regent,Global Indian,Sri Utama,Kingsley,MAZ etc...

I have a couple of questions to ask.;)

1. I hear good things about Global Indian School in Brickfields. Are there any East Asian students there? Would it be difficult for my child to adjust as most other children are from India?

2.I heard that the teachers at cheaper international schools
are not native English speakers and alot of the students aren't native speakers either. How good will my child's English be when he finishes school?

Since my child is still small, I just want him to have fun and make good friends at school.

If you know any good & fun  & affordable international schools (with nice teachers!)please give me some advice!

Thank you!!:D

Hi Dice,

Nice to know you here. Please refer to the following:-

1. I hear good things about Global Indian School in Brickfields. Are there any East Asian students there? Would it be difficult for my child to adjust as most other children are from India?

As you know, most students are Indians and I have not heard of any East Asian students there. Also, the place is congested.

2.I heard that the teachers at cheaper international schools
are not native English speakers and alot of the students aren't native speakers either. How good will my child's English be when he finishes school?

Most of the private schools have proper and good standard of English as they cater for international students. So, even if the teachers and/or students may not be native English speakers, they are able to speak fluent English.

On the same note, I've heard of good things about Kolej Tuanku Jaafar. Have you tried that school? In particular, they have good and balanced curriculum to cater to kids and they always produce good students yearly. Some even go to prominent universities later in life.

Hope the above helps.

Btw, are you living in KL now?

Warren

Hello Warren.

Thank you very much for your comments. I had never heard of Kolej Tuanku Jaafar, I checked their website just now. Looks very nice but location seems a bit far. My child is still small so I might consider this school once he starte going to highschool.

I've seen the global Indian international school in Brickfields, as you pointed out, it is quite congested isn't it?
I hope I can find a school with a big play ground...!

Thanks again for your advice!:)

Hi, Tenby International and ELC are both excellent schools and all teachers have a good standard of english. These 2 are my shortlist on choice of schools, hoping to start them in January next year. We chose these schools as they are 1/3 of the price of the likes of Mont Kiara, Garden International etc. We did not like Mutiara or Cempaka(Damansara Heights campus). But it comes down to personal preference.

Hi, Since you are Japanese, why you didn't choose Japanese International School?

Tenby International will be my shortlisted. Cempaka is not consider International from my personal view, they are just from Private school who adapted Malaysia Education system (KBSR - primary) previously and now upgrading themselves into IB system.

What about Sri KDU, Beaconhouse, MAZ, - these are not bad too. My child's Mandarin teacher who came from China, her child is studied in MAZ, she said is a good school for her, her child only 6 years old, but speaking good English now, consider English not her mother tongue language.

www.beaconhouse.edu.my/

MAZ INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
http://www.mazinternational.edu.my/html/curriculum.html

Sri KDU - www.srikdu.edu.my/news/

Japanese Int School - http://www.jskl.edu.my/

Dear Kiwi 4
Thank you very much for your comment. ELC and Tenby both sound very nice. However both seem quite far from the place I live (around Bangsar). Is it possible to attend these schools from Bangsar? Is it too far? ELC has two campuses. Is the Cyber Jaya Campus closer?

How are the facilities at Tenby and ELC?

Thanks once again!

Dear JC138

Thank you very much for your comment.
I've heard that the Japanese school in KL is very good (even better than schools in Japan!), but I want my child to be educated in English so I am looking for international schools.

Sri KDU, MAZ, Beacon House- they all seem very good. Are any of them near Bangsar?

Or would it be wiser to move near the school?

Thank you!

Hi Dice,

If you are in Bnagsar, TENBY / ELC will be a bit far. TENBY is in setia Eco park, ELC nr Sierramas/ Valencia (I think).

Maz will be the nearer if you driving via SS2, pass by tropicana city mall. Perhaps you either used the GPS or call a taxi to take you to below address have look, at least give you an idea how far is the journey.

MAZ INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
No.1 MAZ House,
Jalan 20/19, Paramount Gardens,
46300 Petaling Jaya,
Selangor, Malaysia
Phone:       603-7874 2930, 603-7874 8515
Fax:           603-7874 0727
E-mail Address: [email protected]

You may contact them for an appointment before you visit.

I would said TENBY is better - just my personal preference. Yet, the location is a bit far for me to travel everyday via the NKVE to setia Eco park. I went to the school for a visit, talked to the admin, then they took me for a touring the school, see the facility.

Another school very closed by bangsar is Sri Cempaka -  Perhaps you can pay for a visit too.
Damansara Campus
603-2093-1740 T
603-2093-1741 T
603- 2095 -2660 F
19 Jalan Setia Bakti 1
Bukit Damansara
50490 Kuala Lumpur

this school is very academic, next year there are changed to IB system, called themselves an international school, no longer private school.

Beacon house also consider close to Bangsar (20-30mins drive, or less, same as Maz)

Beaconhouse Sri Inai
Level: Primary, Secondary and Senior
Address: No: 1098 Jalan Jejarum Off Jalan SS 23/6 Taman SEA, 47400, Petaling Jaya, Selangor, West Malaysia.
Phone: +603-78045403
+603-78066025
Fax: +603-78044604

So, if you are decide for a school visiting, you may do these two Maz & Beacon in a day, but Beacon is private school not international.

Hope is help.

Dear JC138

Thank you so much for giving me detailed information on the schools. I really appreciate.

I will go and have a look at the schools. I am glad to hear that there are some schools near by.

I had a look at the Cempaka website.
As you informed me, I could tell from their website that the school is very academic!
Does this mean that even primary school students are expected to study, study and study...with lots of tests and homework?

I don't want my child to be too stressed!:)

Don't even consider CEMPAKA. We have friends who used to teach there...humilation of students and teachers is what they excel at! Most teachers leave well before their contract is up!Academic, they are not, they practically close down the classes when they have a show or sports event on and drill the children for days on end....then get the teachers to sit the exams for the kids. Avoid at all costs! Of course, this is just my opinon!

We don't like Cempaka coz when we went for a visit the staff do said the school have the right to dismiss a student who is not meet their academic requirement, which is sound very stressful for parents.

I saw my girl Mandarin teacher's daughter who study in Maz international, d little girl seem happy enough, not looks a stress face at all! You may consider this. .

Dear j0amelie,

Thank you very much for your advice. I want my child to be teached by happy teachers so I will try and find other schools!

Dear JC 138,

Thank you once again. I am glad to hear that your little Chinese friend is happy at MAZ. I will consider MAZ as one of the options for my child!
I very much appreciate your comments, I am not  familiar with schools here so they really helped. Thank you for your kindness!

You are most welcome! I hope is help as most of the information I provided, because we are searching school for our little one too.

It is always help if you pay a visit in the morning time 9am onwards, to be able to view the  classroom atmosphere as well as the school environment & facilicities. The admission staff will be able to assist you with all the questions.

Have fun!

Hi, Dice....

By chance your mail had sent to me...and after reading your mail....I am just so afraid and scare for your kid....!!!

Oooooh....nooooo....do not sent your child to the Indian school!

Just CAN'T image how your child going to comes out from it...

1.  Speak English with Indian accent?!

2.  You child will be the only Japaniese kid amount most of the Indian and Pakistan childrent....just think how lost he will be.

3.  Careful, the "punish system" in these school.

4.  Have you been in the school to look around their toilet, kitchen, class room, play area and etc...if they are clean.

5.  Have you check\asked the level of the teacher, where they come from, and what is their diploma level; and do they know exactly "children education"...?

6.  Why you don't send you child to Japanese school in KL?

7.  If your want your child to learn English, you MUST send your kids to a REAL English school...even the school fees is higher....remember how much you pay, how much you get.

Please think carefully, or else, you kid will suffer not only his learning but his minds and mental.

Best of LUCK...in KL

//Mrs Yoan

@Mrs Yoan, for info, this thread is dated 2011 & I guess that Dice's child has already gone to school.;)

Harmonie.

Hi, Ms Harmonie....

Truly sorry for did not read the date....(*___#)

However...I will be careful next time when I reply, and truly thank you to remind me...!!!

Thank you again and have a good weekend !

//Mrs Yoan

Interesting to read that, from praents' perspectives atleast, Tenby school seems to get your vote... When I read teachers' evaluations of the school on isr.com, it is made to sound like hell on earth as a place to work! Hmmmm....

Agree with what zen88 said, though, about getting what you pay for: if the fees are cheap, it's because the establishment is not paying high wages to its teachers... and high calibre, well qualified international teachers simply do not take up jobs at places that do not pay them what they are worth!! Think about it ... :-/

Hello Zen 88,
Thank you so much for your comment. I really appreciate it and sorry my reply is so late!!
Now I fully understand that GIIS would not be a good option for my child. I didn't know about "Punish system" at the school, sounds very awful...
Thank you for your advice!!

Hello emmarooney.
Thank you for your comment. Yes, seems like it is quite hard to find qualified international teaachers at cheaper schools. I have also read teachers' evaluations about some schools and they were quite shocking...! Hope I can find a school where the teachers are happy!

Hi I'm Stephaniel here. I'm looking an international school for my 3 kids. Their ages are 12, 7 and 6. I have been to Fairview, Sri Garden, Cempaka Internatinal school at Cheras which are more nearer to my house. May I know do you have any comment about those school? Or you have any other international school to suggest? Looking forward to your reply. Thanks.

hi stepaniel, maybe u should have opened a new thread :-) there are quite a few international schools for various budgets. some background would b good to give u the right advice. for starters, where do u live, do u or ur hubby gets kids education covered by the company and what curriculum do u want ur child to get (british, american, australian, canadian)?

the high end schools are alice smith, iskl, mont kiara international, garden international, australian international school, nexus international. the fees are quite high in these schools. most of the kids here are covered by their parents company.

the lower end ones are elc, sri garden, tenby, tanarata intl. pls dont consider fairview and cempaka. theres a new school thats opening up in sept this year called rafflesia intl.

u can google all these schools for their websites and all of them have their fee structure posted on their websites.

Hello Stephaniel.
I also suggest you open a new thread! I am sure you will get lots of responses. There is a post on Sri Garden, maybe you can check that out too.
I have received negative comments about Cempaka and Fairview. Carlyle also suggets not to consider these two schools...I have not visited these schools yet so I can't comment on them. It would be great if you could share with us your comments about the schools you have visited!:)

Hi Carlyle,

Thanks for your advise. I live at Ampang area. My  kids education do not covered by company. Im looking on British curriculum Actually I have called to ISKL I found that fees  are too high seems I'm have to enroll for  my 3 kids at the same time.

The schools you suggested are too far for me. Do you have any suggestion which the school is nearby KL area and the fees is not too high. By the way, may I know why you think Fairview and Cempaka are not a good choices?

I been to Sri Garden I found it is quite small, it only has 2 blocks and the facilities are not too much if compare with Cempaka but of course the prices are much more cheaper than Cempaka.

Thanks.

Hello Dice,

May I know what negative comment you have heard from your friends?

Actually what I think is the teachers are the most important 'things' im concern. I understand there is no school is perfect but at least we can find a experience and qualified teachers since I'm paying much more than a government school.

Actually how can I search for the teachers evaluations about the school? Thanks.

Hi,
my name is Robin Gan.I am a student from Maz International School.I already been studying for more then 3 years until now.The school is good and the teacher always keep track all the student's academic level by doing the exam so that they will know which level is he in and they will take your child to the class.The teacher in the school are friendly and responsible.I said these because the teacher always make sure that the students understand the subject have been learn in the class.The school start at 8:20 am which we have assembly and end at 1:40 pm.there are extra curriculum every Monday to Thursday and it's start at 2:00pm until 3:20pm.I hope that you can join us in Maz International School.

Best regards,
Robin Gan

Hi Robin,

I'm Stephanie may I know which level are you from? How  about the teachers  there  is it most of them are internatioal or Malaysian ? Any other international school in British curriculum you suggest? I prefer in Ampang , Cheras and KL area.

Please advise, thanks.

Hi,
I'm in form 5.most of the teacher is from Malaysia and India and they highly educated.i'll be graduating by this term.may I know which level do you want to put your child/children in?mostly most of the school like ISKL is not bad but it's quite expensive and not recommend by me because of the traffic is very bad in the morning and office lunch break.may I know where you stay?there is transport available from Monday to Friday.

best regards,
Robin Gan

Hi Robin,

I stay at Ampang area so most of the schools they recommended are not convenient for me. That is the reason I look for Cempaka International at Cheras. The fees of ISKL are expensive there are almost RM6000/ month.

I'm going to enroll my 3 kids at the same times which are 12, 8 and 6 years old. Im looking for British curriculum.

Thanks.

Regards
Stephanie

Hi stepkhl,

You asked where you could access teachers' own reviews of international schools. The best place that I know for this is www dot internationalschoolsreview dot com. It is a subscription-fee website, so to be able to read the reviews you will need to create an account and pay a fee of around US$20, I think. However, in my opinion this is money very well spent, as I personally find it very helpful to be able to read what a school is like 'from the inside'. Reviewers comment on such things as the integrity and transparency of the senior management, what sort of resources are available (info which may differ from what the school itself may advertise on its own website), the validity of the school's assessment and reporting systems, the quality of teaching, staff morale levels, etc etc.

Although the target audience for this website and these reviews is the teaching population, there is much that would be relevant to and of interest to parents as well :-)

Hi emmarooney,

Thanks for your advise I will try to find it out. Thanks

hi stephanie,

i have heard that both these schools have no idea how to teach international curriculum. i agree that going through the isr site is a good option, but the top schools that i have listed only have good reviews. when u have pots of money or company covered schooling, u can choose the best school at a hefty price :-) but for some it becomes about affordability and choosing the best from the second best. and those are listed in my post. elc, etc. i think sri garden is ur best bet for now. the facilities are not great but the teachers are good.

cheers

Hi Carlyle,

Thanks for your advise.

Sri Garden you mentioned is it located at Pandan Indah? I have called to ELC just now but need to put on waiting list. I think I'm to late to look for all those best school.

Stephanie

all schools in kl - good, bad or ugly - all have waiting lists. dont be disheartened. finalize 3 schools and apply. then cross ur fingers and toes :-) and yes, its the same sri garden u visited in pandan indah.

im sure if we all form a consortium, we can open a school that is not for profit and can provide a good education at an affordable fee :-) just a thought!

Haha..Thank you so much for giving me the useful information.

:D Keep in touch..

Regards
Stephanie

The is one new school in Puchong : Rafflesia International School.
I think from Singapore origin, went for their Open Day last week. Very impress with the modern facilities and the concept of future school (like the one in Raffle Singapore using ipad method of teaching). Should call and check out : The officer in charge of admission Dr Danny 012 476 8777

Hi everyone! I am Filipino, looking for affordable private primary school in KL.I have 6yrs old son, we are moving KL from Philippines soon this year. I checked the tuition fees of international schools, but very expensive. Please help me find it..Thank you

Hi kl is expensive 30-40 thousand RM per year is normal price in kl. You can't avoid that unless you home school.