Public transportation in Cuba

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Cuba ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed? What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Cuba?

Thanks in advance for participating!

As a tourist headed to the major tourist destination cities, the best way to get around is by the Viazul Bus system.  It is fairly inexpensive and very comfortable.  I see other tourist bus lines being used as well that seem to be group oriented and geared toward specific destinations or hotels, but I do not use them as I prefer to travel outside of large groups. If you want to get off the beaten path and go to the less touristy destinations, renting a car is an option but can be very expensive.  I took the plunge and rented a car on my first two trips and was able to go to the western tip all the way out to the city called Maria LaGorda, drove to Batabano to catch the passenger ferry over to Isla de la Juventud, and on the 2nd trip the south eastern edge of Cuba at Manzanillo and a small fishing village of Pilon (where I met my Cuban fiancee) and then drove up the beautiful coast to Santiago.

But, if you are headed to places like Pinar del Rio, Vinales, Cienfuegos, Trinidad, Santa Clara and all the main cities down the highway to Santiago, the Viazul bus line is probably the best way to travel.  You should google their schedule to and from all the places that you want to see and take a print out with you, because they rarely answer the phone if you are in Cuba and trying to get departure times for the next day.  In Havana, you will need to take a taxi to the Viazul Bus Station near the zoo.

Hi dwright!

Thanks a lot for your help.

Armand

AND.........if you would like to see a few Cuban cocodrilos y justia, take a small walk across he road from the Viazul station to the zoo, 'cos you can find both there! But as you have indicated there are now a few sharks lurking around Obispo!