Public transportation in the Bahamas

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in the Bahamas ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed? What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in the Bahamas?

Thanks in advance for participating!

From what I recall, and this may have changed as I haven't lived/taken public transport in The Bahamas for over 5 years, the only main means of public transportation are independently-owned 'jitney' buses.  They're 20-seater buses that run organized routes throughout most of the island - mainly the tourist areas and the residential areas. 
The cost of a one-way fare was, as I recall one Bahamian or American dollar (but that could most-likely have increased).  The buses start at about 6 am and end at 6pm (or when the sun begins to set, depending on the time of year). There is no public system available after sunset.  Despite the unavailability after dark (which is really only an annoyance), the system is actually very safe.  Many of the hotels provide shuttle services to popular locations/city center for guests after dark and taxi-cabs are available as well.  Residents simply use their personal vehicles.
Compared to other major cities (New York City, Vienna, London, Beijing), the system can be considered primative; however, there population is only about 320,000 persons and most people own/use private transportation.  I used the bus system extensively as a child-student and was able to get to where I needed on time.  I especially enjoyed the extreme courtesy that drivers and passengers afforded me - a driver will stop at a non-specified stop to allow a passenger on/off and passengers will willing/happily make space for an additional passenger.  You will not find that in developed public systems!

Thanks a lot for your help DeJewel ;)

Armand

Public transportation in the Bahamas has changed over the last ten years and has grown tremendously. Public Bus Service has improved with many new routes and new buses. The majority of the buses are fully airconditioned. The drivers are more professional for the most part and are well dressed according to the season. The fares are pretty affordable about $1.25 per person.

Taxi Services has grown and increased as well. This means of Public Transportation is widely used by many tourist and guest alike while in the Bahamas. The rates are based on Zones and are posted most places like Hotels & Airports. There are many nice vehicles however, there are also a few vehicles that can certainly use a much needed upgrade.

Overall, Public Transportation in the Bahamas has made its mark and is making a difference in ground transportation services provided.