Public transportation in Guadeloupe

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Guadeloupe ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed? What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Guadeloupe?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Hello expats. There are a few options for getting around Guadeloupe: 1. Car 2. Motorcycle or scooter 3. Bus system 4. Bike 5. Walk/thumb.
Having your own car is really nice in Guadeloupe for a variety of what I believe are obvious reasons. It's also more expensive than the other options. Rental cars are available at the airport as well as around Grande-Terre. I can't vouch for Basse-Terre but I believe there should be some available as there is quite a bit of tourism there.
I have not found a place to rent motorcycles and scooters but will update if I do.
Thumbing is safe if you use your head. It's not out of order but it's not the everyday  means of transportation for everyone everywhere.
Buses and bus stations have been upgraded over a lot of the island over the past year or so. Commonly used bus stops have shelters and signs. Buses are always on the road but I've never taken one. I hear they are not always on time, but that they are good enough. I don't think they have air conditioning, and I'm sure the cost is nominal.
Riding a bike is very common, although with the heat of the sun or in the rain possibly a bit difficult.  You don't have to have a road bike, you can use a standard ten speed bike or some basic bike as long as you stay on relatively easy roads.

girlinguadeloupe.wordpress.com

Thanks for your contribution chicashari!

Harmonie.:)