Public transportation in Slovenia

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Slovenia ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed? What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Slovenia?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Is the network of means of transportation well developed? What modes of transport are available?

Best is to have a car, travelling by car is the fastest way of transport in Slovenia and to Slovenia. They have nice highways, but you have to held vignette. And you can always rant a car.
You can also use carpooling which is the cheapest way of traveling around. Most popular website: prevoz.org

By plane - Slovenia has its own airlines ADRIA adria.si It is not low-cost company, and cheap ones easyjet and ryanair, are not the cheapest. Traveling to many european capitals is a cost of 200eu one way, when you buy ticket in advance.

Trains - They are old and slow, but not that expensive.
For 20-25eu you can get to many places, but they are not very often. So make sure you won't miss it. slo-zeleznice.si

Buses - It is quite good way of traveling across Slovenia, but if you go abroad, make sure you will check also foregin companies. As it is cheaper to go to Trieste with Italian company, that Slovenian - one way 8-12 eu. Again they don't go ften, sometimes once/day, so you have to be careful planning your trip.

Public transport in Ljubljana - there is a bus system, quite good, 90 minuts cost 0.8 eu, but you have to have urbana card first (2eu), that you can load in automats and small newsagencies.

Bike rental - the best way to go around the city is to bike, in spring and summer with your urbana you can pick up bike from many places in the city and just leave it in particlar point, if you dont have your own bike.
bicikelj.si

Taxi - take the one that belongs to corporation, always better to call and order, as you often get discount for that. Don't caunt on that all taxi drivers speak any language different from slovenian. First km is 1 eu, rest cost 0.8 eu/1km. taxi-intertours.si

Do you use them?
Yes I do, but it needs planning in advance, wherever you want to go.

Yes. Slovenia is relativly safe country, as everyone knows one other. If you meet someone you don't know, you may be sure you know some of his siblings or cusins. SWo you may feel really safe.

Both buses and trains, as I don't have car. Sometimes carpooling.

slovenia.blog.onet.pl

Thanks for this sharing Nonka!

Harmonie.:)

thank you for all this information :)

- I think they are efficient & reliable but quite expensive.

- Yes, it is well-developed.  Mode of transport: Public City Bus, Country-wide & Regional Bus, Train, Car, and Bicycle

Do you use them?
- I used Public City Bus, Country-wide Bus, Train, and Car.  I can't ride a bike on the street.

How much is a fare?

- For City bus: 1.2 EUR per 90 minutes (regardless of number of connections & directions).  But it can be much cheaper if you buy monthly ticket & if you are elderly people or students (19 EUR per 3 months).

- For Country-wide bus: I paid 3.6 EUR between Ljubljana & Kranj (30 minutes ride)

- For Train: The domestic trip is much cheaper than the international ones. 
    Fare within Ljubljana: 2.1 EUR
    Fare from Ljubljana to Jesenice (1 hour ride): 5.4 EUR
    Fare from Ljubljana to Vienna (6 hours ride): 68 EUR but if you book ticket x months in advance, you may get promotional rate at 29 EUR.

- Yes, as far as I experience.

- Public City Bus & Car