Public transportation in Nairobi

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Nairobi ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Nairobi?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Hi,
I am a Kenyan native and live in Nairobi. Our transport is well developed and viverse,although it has a few hitches here and there,like any developing country.
There are many options to use:
We have bus service,taxis,car hire and 'matatus',which are 14 seater vans.
Transport is relatively cheap and affordable,and the price ranges with where you stay or are going to.

Many foreigners use taxis,buses or hire cars. Our transport system is safe,it mostly depends on where you are going. On your first few months,you could stick to the above 3,although once you get used to Kenya,u can use the different modes of transport.

The other alternative is get a local frined to travel with you in the vehicles. This will just ease communication and make your journey more interesting.

[Moderated: free ad is not allowed on the forum]

To use the word "safe" is hilarious.
Kenya has one of the worst rates of road deaths to population in the world. Higher even than SA.
Drivers are inconsiderate, badly trained and ignore the rules of the road.
I have one friend who lost her legs in a Matatu, and 14 passengers in the same matatu were killed.
Every weekend there is carnage on the roads.
If you drive at night a peril is trucks with no rear lights that you can plough into the back of.
I have never lived anywhere where I have known so many people killed or injured on the roads.

The reason?

Corruption!

The police take bribes to ignore bad driving, the driving licences are bought rather than earned (often)... and there is a "me first" culture here.

What? I do not blame you.While what you have heard,seen or read might be true,the opposite is also true. Surely,you do not mean to say that our roads are that bad. You will be assured of getting to your destinations. Accidents do happen in Kenya,just like anywhere else in the world. We have other expatriates who live in Kenya and have not been involved even in a single accident...
We have ambassador and other diplomats who live here and they can testify to that.

The situation might be different from thier home country,but our transport system is not written of,in fact,our roads are improving.

chicita wrote:

Surely,you do not mean to say that our roads are that bad

Yes, they are THAT BAD. Look at the statistics (some facts below)!

chicita wrote:

You will be assured of getting to your destinations. Accidents do happen in Kenya,just like anywhere else in the world.

No, not just like anywhere else in the world. MORE than many places. LOOK AT THE FACTS

chicita wrote:

We have other expatriates who live in Kenya and have not been involved even in a single accident...
We have ambassador and other diplomats who live here and they can testify to that.

And the reasons they drive huge metal 4x4s? Because it's so dangerous on the roads

chicita wrote:

The situation might be different from thier home country,but our transport system is not written of,in fact,our roads are improving.

True, the roads are getting better. Unfortunately the driving ISN'T. The sad thing is, the road improvements may lead to MORE deaths as drivers are able to achieve higher speeds, without the skills or training to deal with them.

The facts...
demotix.com/news/kenya-rated-fifth-road-carnage
KENYA RATED FIFTH IN ROAD CARNAGE
Kenya Roads Board statistics indicates that about 1.17 million deaths occur each year worldwide due to road accidents. About 70 % of the deaths occur in developing countries. Out of 100,000 vehicles, about 510 are involved in fatal accidents in Kenya compared to 260 in South Africa and 20 in the UK. 65% of deaths involve pedestrians and 35 percent of pedestrian deaths are children.
Kenya is ranked the 5th highest number of accidents per licensed vehicles out of 29 selected countries worldwide according to a research carried out by the UK Transport Research Laboratory (TRRL) in 1986. Unfortunately, road safety trends in Kenya are worsening with the reluctance of the ‘Michuki policy', which advocated for a maximum speed of 80 kph and that all vehicles must be fitted with safety belts. A new “policy' of reckless driving seem to unfolding and taking over from the Michuki one.

pamojaroadsafety.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75:accidents-in-kenya&catid=43:stats

Accidents in Kenya
Thursday, 17 June 2010 13:52
According to the 2009 World Health Organisation (WHO) global status report, Kenya recorded 3,760 traffic deaths, the highest in East Africa region.  At least 90% of the global fatalities from traffic accidents occur in low and middle income countries even though, only 46% of global vehicles are in these countries. Kenya has among the worst statistics globally (WHO Global status report, 2009).  By 2015, WHO predicts the increase of road deaths to rise from 1.2 to 1.8 million, and 2.4 million by 2030.

On 19th-20th November 2009, Russia, requested by United Nations General Assembly hosted the first global ministerial conference on road safety.  The conference invited United Nations to declare 2011-2020 a decade of action for road safety to stabilize and reduce the forecast level of global death by 2020.  No one needs to do more to address the large and growing road carnage impact than Kenya.

The WHO Global status report states that nearly half of those dying on the roads – 46% are vulnerable road users: pedestrians, cyclists and riders of motorized two wheelers and their passengers.  We think this number is slightly higher in Kenya.  According to the Kenya Police statistics 8 pedestrians were reported killed within 24 hours on Monday 14th June 2010.  In May 2010, 144 pedestrians were killed and 189 were seriously injured.

Kenya is among the many developing countries that have no comprehensive and sufficient in scope safety laws relating to key risk factors.  In Kenya, what we see is knee jerk reactions to major accidents.   These risk factors include: Speed, Drink driving, Helmets and High visibility Attires, Seat belts and Child restraints.

Enforcement of laws relating to key risk factors for road traffic injuries is often lacking

Moving forward, WHO predicts global road safety fatalities to rise to 2.4 million per year by 2030. Considering the current trend, if we fail to act, it will translate to almost 8,000 deaths per year on our roads by 2030.  God forbid.

Pamoja road safety initiative works for zero deaths on kenyan roads. Road crashes are not road accidents. They are preventable and must be stopped.

Simonru; If this bothers you so much, what are you doing in Kenya?

Its all very well quoting statistics without taking into account the fact that a large number of Kenyans move around via public transport.  When a PSV crashes, there are inevitably more people involved than when a private car crashes.  Your stats also mention that almost half the deaths are pedestrians, cyclists etc.  I doubt an analysis has been done to determine, to what extent these deaths were due to bad driving, or ill timed road crossing etc.

'And the reasons they drive huge metal 4x4s? Because it's so dangerous on the roads' 
No, its because these vehicles can cope with poor road conditions, large speed bumps, etc.  In fact some of the very worst driving that I have witnessed has been by expats, who should actually know better, using their 4x4's as weapons.

I am sure that you appreciate that drivers in the UK largely behave themselves due to the vast amount of taxpayers money that is poured into road safety, police, cameras and the like.  Kenya does not have these resources.

'... and there is a "me first" culture here'  Not in my experience and if that is the case, what does this say about UK society?

Matatus are driven the way they are, in order to maximise profit for the owners and to ensure that the driver and tout get their wages and it all depends on doing as many runs as possible and being first to pick up passengers.  I have recently witnessed similar standards of driving from delivery van drivers, in the UK.

The relationship with the police is more complex than them being bribed to ignore bad driving.

Of course Chicita is also correct is saying that there are plenty of drivers in Kenya with an accident free record.

Yes, travelling at night is considerably more risky and the worst accidents tend to occur at night - answer; avoid travelling at night unless absolutely esssential!

Wow!Thanks Longonot62 for coming to my defence and to that of Kenya. It is very easy to look at statistics and believe them,yet they are usually far from what really happens on the ground.

Simonru, there are plenty of bad and dangerous places out there but god protects us. If you have an important job to do in Kenya,will you turn it down coz of roads?

By the way,our get-together dinner is still on,this Sunday,11th Sep at Westgate Shopping Mall,6:00. you can call me on +254729 079 046 for directions or further suggestions.Pliz come and discuss with other expatriates and share your road experiences and other. This is an immportant thing that we could disscuss over the dinner n get real-life information.

Thank you all for your contributions!

Armand

I am Kenyan and I wish the driving was better. I am terrified everytime I have to use a bus or a matatu.

Well, with due respect to everyone's feelings, Kenyan public transport is PATHETIC. If you're an Expat, you need to have you own car or call a Taxi!! Don't even dream to travel in a Matatu or the Buses. Every day, we publish AT LEAST one news of some or the other accident happen in the country (M talking about MAJOR accidents). And what's horrifying is that nowadays the so called RESCUERS come and empty your pockets (Refer to the latest news in the newspaper dated 13th September - "Good Samaritans" rob bus accident victims)!

Longonot62 wrote:

Simonru; If this bothers you so much, what are you doing in Kenya?

So you're saying I should go home?
Nice.

It bothers me because I have lost friends to drunk drivers and bad drivers. To paint the picture that Kenyan roads are safe is just wrong. Every week there are major incidents. What are the figures since January this year... about 2,500 fatalities.

It bothers me because I care.

It doesn't bother you?

That number of lives doesn't bother you? Including children?

OK then

chicita wrote:

Wow!Thanks Longonot62 for coming to my defence and to that of Kenya. It is very easy to look at statistics and believe them,yet they are usually far from what really happens on the ground.

So you don't know people killed or seriously injured on Kenyas roads?

chicita wrote:

Simonru, there are plenty of bad and dangerous places out there but god protects us. If you have an important job to do in Kenya,will you turn it down coz of roads?

Will you at least admit that the roads are dangerous? That drivers are bad and badly trained (or just bribed someone to get their licence). Will you admit that the bus ride to Mombasa is a death lottery? That unlit broken down trucks litter the roads? That drunk drivers are as much a hazard on Sunday mornings as they are on Friday nights? Will you admit that the majority of police do nothing except take bribes?

India is much worse

Cottage, not according to WHO statistics. Figures from a couple of years ago.

The first figure is road fatalities per 100,000 people, the second fatalities per 100,000 vehicles

India    16.8    1,120.0   
Kenya    34.4    1,638.1

As you can see, Kenya is (was) twice as deadly for the general population. More people may die in road accidents in India, but that for a huge and often dense population. You are more likely to die in a road accident in Kenya than India.

Just talking from what I've seen there

Oh and to give some perpective...

United Kingdom    3.59    7 (yes, really... 7 per 100,000 vehicle)

Of course there are lots of other factors in play.

In the UK it's almost impossible to bribe a Driving Test Examiner. (note "almost")
Ambulances can actually get through traffic quickly.
The hospitals offer good trauma care.
People don't try to pull you from your vehicle after an accident... most people know that causes more damage, unless the victim is in immediate danger (rom fire etc.)
If you are helped by a stranger, they don't go through your pockets first to see how much cash you might be carrying.

Simonru - you didn't read my post properly.  Where did I say that you should go home??? 

Are you also making a assumption that I neither know nor care about the accident and death rate on Kenyan roads?  I actually have a large Kenyan family and yes, I know people who have been injured and killed on Kenyan Roads (and British roads too, incidentally).  Yes it does bother me.  I am also realistic enough to know that all I can hope to achieve to help is to drive more carefully and considerately (in my 'huge metal 4 x 4'), instead of going on and on about the risks. 

I never set out to give the opinion the Kenyan roads are safe.  However, I think that it is very easy to use stats to try and make direct comparisons between accident rates in one country and another, without delving a little deeper and looking other factors.  Your latest post referring to UK stats;  The UK being a country where the majority of travelling is done by private car (many of which contain one person), there are (relatively speaking) few pedestrians, many less cyclists and where there are a vast amount of resources available to police road users.   Unfortunately, I cant comment about India - I have no direct experience.

In Kenya there are many pedestrians, on urban and rural roads and the travelling public move in buses, or matatu. If one of these crashes, then it is inevitable that more people would be involved per vehicle accident.  The stats you quoted show that 65% of fatalities are pedestrians, for example.  Something that is less likely in a more developed country where less people walk, for example. 

You go on the make sensationalist comments such as the ones below:

'Will you admit that the bus ride to Mombasa is a death lottery? That unlit broken down trucks litter the roads?'

Have you got evidence to back up this claim?  How many people arrive in Mombasa safely vs those that don't?  IME, having driven extensively in Kenya, including on Mombasa Road, at night, this comment is a wild exaggeration of the actual situation.

'The police take bribes to ignore bad driving, the driving licences are bought rather than earned (often)' 

Is this your opinion? Or fact?  Think this doesnt happen elsewhere?  I know of instances in the UK where driving licences have been obtained falsely........so it happens.  Driving with no licence at all (and no insurance) is also becoming increasingly common in the UK.  Kenya police lack persuit vehicles and 'hot & cold' running helicopters, as tools to tackle bad driving - a point which you chose to ignore.

'In the UK it's almost impossible to bribe a Driving Test Examiner. (note "almost")
Ambulances can actually get through traffic quickly.
The hospitals offer good trauma care.
People don't try to pull you from your vehicle after an accident... most people know that causes more damage, unless the victim is in immediate danger (rom fire etc.)
If you are helped by a stranger, they don't go through your pockets first to see how much cash you might be carrying.'

As I have said before, the UK is a developed country and one of the largest economies.  How can you seriously expect Kenya to match the standards of the UK, in terms of ambulance response times, trauma care etc?  I remember when people were pulled from vehicles in the UK (and I am not that old).  People do this in Kenya from an attempt to HELP.  It is not well understood that more injury could be caused.  Regarding being robbed while being 'helped' - the UK is not immune from this.   

'Unfortunately, road safety trends in Kenya are worsening with the reluctance of the ‘Michuki policy', which advocated for a maximum speed of 80 kph and that all vehicles must be fitted with safety belts. A new “policy' of reckless driving seem to unfolding and taking over from the Michuki one.'

Yes they are worsening, but only in terms of getting back to the pre Michuki era.

Hi Simonru,
I have learnt that one of the best ways to deal with issues is to be the solution. You are from a developed country,you might have the recousrces or ideas,think of a way of trying to make Kenyan roads better,instead of magnifying the situation. A team of young people that I am part of organized a road Caravan from Nairobi to Durban,South Africa,to engage in the COP 17 talks. They went safely and came back safely.

We decided to do something about climate change. You can do the same about Kenyan roads. Get a team of people,find ways of raising resources and educate the Kenyan mass on road safety,or try and deal with at least one or two of the underlying factors. It might not happen now,but a few months or years from now,you will start seeing the impact. Be the solution,because I know that you can. You just need a few positive minds with a similar opnion and passion.

chicita wrote:

Hi Simonru,
I have learnt that one of the best ways to deal with issues is to be the solution. You are from a developed country,you might have the recousrces or ideas,think of a way of trying to make Kenyan roads better,instead of magnifying the situation.

We decided to do something about climate change. You can do the same about Kenyan roads. Get a team of people,find ways of raising resources and educate the Kenyan mass on road safety,or try and deal with at least one or two of the underlying factors. It might not happen now,but a few months or years from now,you will start seeing the impact. Be the solution,because I know that you can. You just need a few positive minds with a similar opnion and passion.

Thanks Chicita... I already am involved.
In quite a big way.

As for "magnifying the situation"... I think it needs magnifying... it's a national disaster. It's all routed in corruption. And every person that pays off a cop, or bribes a driving licence examiner, or pays off a judge... has blood on their hands.

Extreme?

Sorry, that's the way I see it.

Longonot62 wrote:

Simonru - you didn't read my post properly.  Where did I say that you should go home??? 

Are you also making a assumption that I neither know nor care about the accident and death rate on Kenyan roads?

My problem was the trying to create a rosey picture... it's not rosey. I never meant to imply you didn't care.

Longonot62 wrote:

I cant comment about India - I have no direct experience.

I admit the UK stats are something that should not be a comparison. Since there are a lot MORE cars on the road. A lot more miles travelled by the average person. The cars may be a little more "safe". But India is a good comparison

Longonot62 wrote:

You go on the make sensationalist comments such as the ones below:

'Will you admit that the bus ride to Mombasa is a death lottery? That unlit broken down trucks litter the roads?'

Have you got evidence to back up this claim?  How many people arrive in Mombasa safely vs those that don't?  IME, having driven extensively in Kenya, including on Mombasa Road, at night, this comment is a wild exaggeration of the actual situation.

Yes. I travel this road often, by car and by bus. Horizon, Modern Coast. It scares me every time I do the trip... and I often see accidents. And more often the near misses due to dreadful driving and appaulling overtaking. And dozens of poorly lit trucks... moving and broken down. Yes, I've seen it.

Longonot62 wrote:

'The police take bribes to ignore bad driving, the driving licences are bought rather than earned (often)' 

Is this your opinion? Or fact?

I have examples. I have examples of when I've been stopped. Once for a seatbelt offence. I committed the crime... I was guilty... take me to the police station! But the officer was more interested in getting something small from me. When he say that I wasn't going to pay an "on the spot fine" he waved us on.

As for licences? I know of many drivers who have paid something extra for a smooth driving test... you've not heard of this?

Longonot62 wrote:

How can you seriously expect Kenya to match the standards of the UK, in terms of ambulance response times, trauma care etc?

I can't.
At least not until people start taking bribery seriously.

But the original thread was about the safety of Kenya's transport system.

All my point was... it's NOT safe.

It IS all that is available to the wananchi.

I am nervous every time my wife heads to work.

I dread the next phone call that a friend of mine has been involved in a Matatu accident.

Or they didn't make Mombasa because they plowed into an on coming vehicle.
2 good friends lost this year.

Thats all I am saying

Simonru, I was not trying to portray a rosy picture of transport in Kenya, neither did I state anywhere that it is safe.  My only concern was the massive overegging of the real situation. 

An example:  You say that you have travelled on the road to Mombasa often.......I assume without incident or injury, so far.  Yet elsewhere, you describe this journey as a 'death lottery'.  Surely you would fly if were truly a death lottery and you had no option but to make the journey?  Yes it certainly isnt safe, and as I posted earlier - particularly not at night........but please dont over exaggerate.  I would hazard a guess that considerably more people arrive safely on this route, than don't - definitely not a death lottery then.  As you also appear to have been caught not wearing a seatbelt...........I rest my case.

IMO, over exaggerating the situation does as few favours to readers of this forum as anyone underplaying the situation and saying that Kenyan roads are safe.

I found this website, which is aimed at fighting corruption and bribery.  You and others might find it useful:

http://ipaidabribe.or.ke/

Hi, some emotions running high.  I have been living and working in Southern and Eastern Africa for 14 years, have driven 1000's of kms, with friends and on my own, caught chicken buses and mattatus and hitchhiked.  I have been lucky/blessed whatever enough not to have an accident but I have seen many.  I have know when I take a bus from Lusaka to Harare that part of the trip will be at night and that there is a definite risk that we may be in an accident.  But that is part of the life I have chosen by choosing to live in Africa.  In any country you live in there are negatives that you implicitly accept when you choose to stay there, if the problem is too big for you (whatever it is, could be the pollution in Beijing for example) then you move somewhere else. Generally, when I travel on public transport, I have found people helpful and friendly.  I try to avoid travel at night.  In the towns I would say that the public transport is relatively safe during the day, whether it is convenient will depend on where you live and where you want to go.  So Armand, feel free to use it around town, if you're going to Mombassa maybe you can afford to fly, some can't.  knowing that there is a risk of being involved in an accident doesn't mean we stay off the roads and stay at home, we accept the risk and try to mitigate where possible.

Thanks Armand for your question, it is true i echo Simonru that in kenya driving depend with who you are, because it is 'me first' in Kenyan and even if Kenyans would want to follow the law, traffic police bend it. What i mean is that they will sometimes force you to accept liability even if you are right hence getting in the corridor of corruption especially if you are a foreigner, In a public transport 'Matatu' you are never safe for instance when you are in, pleas take care of your belongings and don't trust anyone you talk to. I advice you to visit come2kenya.net ask them any question, these guys talk the truth and what is on ground about anything about Kenya.

Hey Armand,
I'm not sure if you are coming to Nairobi or are already here, but welcome. For myself (I've been to Kenya before and on this occasion, I'm here until August), and I take the matatu. I'm a traveller and don't find the need for a taxi or hired car unless its nighttime, I have a ton of things to carry, etc. Just like any other place.
Hope you enjoy Nairobi if you're coming/already here, and shoot me a message if you want to meet a Canadian friend!
-Kayla

Hi All,

Thank you very much for your contributions! :)

Muya wrote:

In a public transport 'Matatu' you are never safe for instance when you are in, pleas take care of your belongings and don't trust anyone you talk to. I advice you to visit come2kenya.net ask them any question, these guys talk the truth and what is on ground about anything about Kenya.

Wouldn't quite go along with this.

You have to be careful and street smart... and don't let it stop you enjoying the people and the conversations and the culture.

As a side note RIP John Mutunga facebook.com/mutungajohn . Killed today when he and his wife were struck my a matatu.

hi Simnoru,
I would like to konw how you are involved in bringing the solution. I would be more than glad to join you.

Hope that we can all come together and make a difference.
Thanks!

Hello Miss cottage, india is much worst for what? you dont have those many public transportation vehicles any where in the world which india has. the fares are much cheaper than any other country. The biggest bus station in the world is MGBS bus station in Hyderabad. Bus fares are very much cheaper than you imagine. if you travel to 10-15 Km it costs you 15 shillings in normal bus, In express 20, in metro 30, in Air Conditioning bus 40 shillings. So what about fares in Kenya? Is that so cheap? If i travel for 5 minutes in matatu it costs me 20 shillings. In India if i travel in share auto for 30 minutes without stopping in my city, it costs me 20 shillings. So just imagine how far we make journey and for how much. We have the cheapest transportation fares. our cities are much safer than here. First you control your house then talk about others house. Sorry if i hurt anyone....

Thanks to All of you above and your inputs. I'm an Indian shifting to Nairobi and I'm already feeling at home!! :D:D:D

@sdrayin, welcome to nairobi.... any thing needed, feel free to ask, inbox me...

i am offered a job in nairobi , can you please tell what will be the local transport budget i should consider.

Its hard for you to get adjusted to local transportation, unless you are brave. Mostly consider taxi or rent a car on monthly basis, else buy your own car.  Check your location of stay and work place. Do let us know these then it would be easy for people to guide you more.

Thanks!!!

yes, i would prefer the taxies only but what will be the monthly budget for the same.

My work location will be fedha plaza, westland & i am also planing to rent a house near to that only.

so need your suggestion on both taxi & house accomodation  budget

Westlands is a nice option, if your work place is near to home then you can save a lot. Also many shopping malls and entertainment stuffs available in westlands. Not pretty sure of how much is the rent now. For before was raging from 20-50 for different accommodations. It just  depends on what kind you are looking for. Also some of my friends live in westlands with 10-15K Ksh.

Hi Ahmedabad, welcome to Nairobi.
Depending on how far or close your house is from your work place, you might find it easier to walk or ride a bicycle there, if it is close enough. At times, it tends to be faster than taking a car or matatu because of traffic jam.

Recommendations from the French Embassy in Nairobi

Nairobi is not that safe!

Extract #1 from http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/consei … index.html

Transports
Infrastructure routière
Le réseau routier principal est praticable. Cependant, la circulation peut s'avérer dangereuse, notamment de nuit, en raison de la vétusté du parc automobile, de l'imprudence de certains conducteurs (excès de vitesse, conduite en état d'ivresse, etc.) et des risques d'attaque à main armée.
Les routes secondaires sont souvent mal entretenues. Les zones frontalières Nord et Est sont à éviter absolument. Il est préférable de se renseigner sur la presence de stations-essence sur les axes secondaires dès que l'on s'éloigne de Nairobi.
Sécurité routière
La sécurité routière dans le pays demeure insuffisante. Les voyages en bus ou en "matatus" (minibus) ne sont pas sans risques: les conducteurs, cherchant avant tout à rentabiliser au maximum les trajets, ont tendance à négliger la sécurité. Il est recommandé aux voyageurs qui seraient amenés à voyager en bus de préférer les compagnies les plus onéreuses, gage de plus grande fiabilité.
Concernant la circulation urbaine et plus particulièrement à Nairobi, il est conseillé de se déplacer avec un véhicule personnel ou en taxi (vitres fermées et portières verrouillées). Il est déconseillé de circuler en deux roues. La circulation nocturne est à éviter. L'arrêt aux feux rouges est alors déconseillé.
Réseau ferroviaire
Deux lignes de chemin de fer desservent Mombasa et Kisumu au départ de Nairobi. On observe fréquemment d'importants retards sur les horaires prévus. Malgré la vétusté de ces lignes, les déplacements sont assez fiables, les accidents sont rares et il n'y a pas de signalement d'agressions, au moins dans les 2 premières classes.
Transport aérien
L'avion reste le moyen de transport le plus sûr pour les déplacements à l'intérieur du pays.

Extract # 2 fromhttp://www.ambafrance-ke.org/-Securite-

2.3. Lors de vos déplacements en voiture

- Ne laissez pas apparents les objets faciles à transporter ou facilement revendables (placez-les dans le coffre ou couvrez-les).
- Dans votre véhicule, à l'arrêt comme en route, verrouillez vos portières (sans oublier les portes arrières...).
- Quand vous quittez votre véhicule, veillez à ce que celui-ci soit correctement fermé à clef. Quand vous vous garez, demandez aux askaris qui se trouvent à proximité de votre voiture de garder un œil sur elle. Ils le feront bien volontiers en échange de quelques shillings.
- Evitez les déplacements éloignés (en particulier les safaris) à un seul véhicule.
- Veillez à prendre avec vous de quoi changer une roue ou la regonfler (aérosol ou traitement préalable anti-crevaison). Vous pouvez également vous inscrire à la Kenya Automobile Association. Cette association, qui est affiliée à la Fédération Internationale Automobile, propose en cas d'urgence des services de dépannage fiables (Tél. : 825 060-6 / 272 03 82 / 374 31 96).
- Conservez une lampe électrique dans votre véhicule.
- Emportez avec vous votre téléphone mobile (chargé et crédité !) ; programmez les numéros d'urgence.
- Assurez-vous de n'être pas suivi par un autre véhicule ; si vous l'êtes, ne vous arrêtez pas chez vous, mais au poste de police le plus proche, dans une station service ou dans un hôtel.
- Evitez les quartiers “ sensibles ” ou peu fréquentés. A Nairobi, River Road District (l'est de Moi Avenue), Westlands Roundabout, Uhuru Highway, Central Park, le Museum et le Casino ne sont pas sûrs à la nuit tombée. Kenyatta Avenue et University Way, tout spécialement autour du City Market sont un paradis pour les pickpockets et autres voleurs à la tire, tout comme les stations de matatus et de bus (faire en particulier attention sur la ligne 34 en provenance de l'aéroport).
- Aux feux de circulation, ralentissez avant de les atteindre, évitez de vous arrêter.
- La nuit, rentrez en cortège (deux véhicules ou plus) si possible.
- Lors de vos déplacements à l'intérieur du pays, communiquez votre itinéraire à un membre de votre entourage et indiquez-lui les coordonnées d'un endroit où vous pourriez être joint.